Makeshift Boombox Repairs. Lets see 'em

Van Presence

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
Parnassus, NZ
Picked up a M9996 couple weeks ago.
For some god awful reason previous owner had hacked door up with what I guess was a soldering iron, from the front.
Filed all ruff bits off, made extra bit with epoxy putty, super glued in place, then model glued the gaps. Should be good to go.20190613_124235.jpg20190605_193801.jpg20190613_124341.jpg20190613_124409.jpg

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
:thumbsup: Innovation is the key.

I bet the previous repair attempt was to try and melt the tray back together. Never works.

Looks like you have the right idea. I hope it holds :rock:

Van Presence

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
Parnassus, NZ
Fatdog said:
Impressive! Let's hope it holds together. :-D
Transistorized said:
:thumbsup: Innovation is the key.

I bet the previous repair attempt was to try and melt the tray back together. Never works.

Looks like you have the right idea. I hope it holds :rock:
Cheers. Figured this was the only option to fix it.
Put insides back in and tested and everything seems to touch what it needs to. They also got this bit on the deck, seems nothing missing so I'll just smooth it off.

20190616_173947.jpg

PostEnder

Member (SA)
Nov 21, 2012
Southeastern U.S.A.
To Transistorized: As other members have been telling you: this is an interesting and promising topic that you’ve started. I’ve already have a few “laugh out loud” (yes, truly LOL) moments. (Yes, starting with the post by Gluecifer. I actually reared back in my mirth.)

To JVC Floyd: Yes, indeed: that mod’ of the JVC PC-11 with PC-55 speakers enhanced with Sony FH-7 tweeters was clever of you. You’ve got a party-ready thumper on your hands, alright.

To Van Presence: As the administrator, Fatdog, notes, good going with the fix of the Sanyo M-9996K tape-deck door. (It is the “-K” version, right? I see the FM – SW2 – SW1 – MW rotary BAND SELECTOR façade in the top photo’, so that should be a “-K” unit. Seeing one playing Boney M’s “Painter Man” – LINE IN only – on YouTube minutes ago kind of surprises me. I’d forgotten how big that model is LOL. And I remember that atypically top-located aerial, seen in an AKA online. Er, you weren’t saying the Good LORD is awful, were you?)

Back to Transistorized: he’s right. Creativity matters.

To Everyone Else: Yes, this long-scrolling thread, with its blinkingly clever homestead solutions to corporate product “fails,” is a treasure of this website. That’s why …

Before I lose out on any more eBay finds LOL, I gotta know: can anyone fix the auto-reverse tape-deck mechanism of an MCD-series Sanyo boombox with a top-mounted CD player? The owner says it’s got an occasional tape-eating problem. The trick is to get in the sys … oh, well, experts know the deal LOL. Sorry, but stiff shipping fees have to make it a “U.S. only” contact. Thanks, people.