Magnavox 7140 - bad switch - fix or replace?

SteveH

Sep 24, 2023
Candia, NH, USA
hi folks
Was gifted a '77 Magnavox 7140 - AM/FM cassette. The AM/FM work as well as one could expect.
The cassette - well, there's the problem. Disassembled, switch to "Tape" and engage the play button.
The motor turns for a half second, but nothing thereafter.

I found that if I nudge the Tape/AM/FM switch ever so slightly toward the AM (from the Tape position),
the tape will play. So, I'm considering how to repair.

I've not found a parts list, and have little hope of finding a replacement switch, so I'm thinking "repair".
Just to be clear, I've given the switch a thorough de-oxit, but I still need the slight nudge to keep the tape
playing.

TIA
Steve

Attachments

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Some switches become so contaminated that spraying Deoxit isn't a permanent solution and must be disassembled for a proper clean.

SteveH

Sep 24, 2023
Candia, NH, USA
unfortunately cleaning and reassembling didn't fix. the little sliders inside the switch (3 position) don't compress and make contact with the blades.

Superduper

Member (SA)
alas. switches arrived. same issue........
Same issue, as in switch requires nudging in order for tape to work? If so, you may want to consider whether the PCB has a fracture or cold solder joint where connection is restored when pressure is put on the pcb. To confirm, just leave switch in the tape position and press around the pcb in that near vicinity, or even the switch body.