M70 Speaker Grills and Rings

Mark34

Oct 14, 2021
Chicagoland
Hi All,
After looking for almost a decade, I just purchased a fully working (yes even the cassette player) JVC RC-M70 and I love it.
I had one in the 80's but after abusing it, I had to let it go. This one works and sounds great.
My only issue is that one of the grills is slightly dented and slightly scratched. One of the grill rings (the opposite side on the dented grill) has a chip in it.
Being very particular on my M70, I'm looking for advise. Is it easy to remove the grill (without further damage) to try to push out the dent, and can they be repainted (if so using what type/color?) or would a black sharpie be good to use to touch up the scraped off black color. Also, other than Ebay, does anyone know where I cant find/purchase New rings and or speaker grills?
Thanks in Advance
Mark34

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
They can be repainted.
You have to remove the rings.
They glued the grilles directly to the box which, if I remember correctly, can be kind of a pain to pry up.
You can knock the dent out, you don't need a new one unless it's really bad.
Once you get the large dent out, you can use a hammer to lightly tap out the smaller dents if there are any.
I don't know how bad the chip on the ring is but maybe you can rotate it to the bottom so it's not so noticeable.

Mark34

Oct 14, 2021
Chicagoland
I actually used the "Sharpie" to cover the scratches on the grill , and it worked great! The "dent" was so minimal that after the "Sharpie" method you can't even tell its slightly dented...Thanks for everyone's advise. I've named her "Christine" (see Stephen King) because she's actually getting younger/better with all the attention I've given her since I received it!

Reactions: Radio raheem