M70 & M90 with hardwired bluetooth module mod.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
blu_fuz said:
Just a little update:
After testing the modules some more, all of the high pitch feedback and hum is caused from the power source in the radio. I have hooked up an external 12v power and all of the noise is gone. I'm not sure how to filter that noise out of the audio, if someone has an idea please let me know!
Correct! I found the same thing when testing a Bluetooth module on my DIY boxes - hooked up direct with a 12V SLA battery - perfectly quiet - no noise!

Sorry Fuz can't help you on the filtering issue though.

James.... :-)

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
My neighbor has been checking out all of my BT mods and wanted me to put BT on his old receiver for his race trailer.

Might be the first vintage Emerson component to get it, ha! Super easy on this one.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
No on both questions. Summer is here and we are busy busy with the kids. Sorry trippy.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
To add a little something to this blue tooth thread...

If you read my thread about blue toothing my Lasonic TRC-920 HERE then you saw I used the same module as Joe. In fact, I bought it from him (thank you for that buddy)

In the Lasonic I was able to simply use the factory power switch to turn on the BT module. The only issue with that is, the BT module is on when ever the radio is on. So if that's something you do not want, then you may want to put in a separate switch just for it.

The mechanical switch on the Lasonic is very hardy. It also features unused pins for which to solder the BT power wire too.

The BT module only has four wires on it. Power, Ground & Left/Right music input.

On the Lasonic, I did not have to remove the main board to access the section of the board where the RCA's attach inside (just inside where the RCA's are on the outside of the box)

I simply soldered a wire to the ground and left / right channels on the "Line In" section of the main board. I used an old RCA jack I cut out of a parts 920 I had, but you can buy RCA connectors online. I then soldered my right / left and ground to those salvaged RCA's which allowed me to simply plug the BT module RCA's in.

I soldered the ground wire to the NEGATIVE wire of the battery block.

The POSITIVE with went to the power switch. Using a multi meter, I checked all the posts on the power switch while it was turned off, to see what had power and what did not. Then I turned the power on and checked again. I located a pin that was dead when off and had power when on making sure it was 12v. I soldered to that.

That was it.

It literally took me 15 minutes to do it all.

One more thing to add...

I have done 10 or so BT mods to various radios. I have used multiple BT modules as well as used BT ear buds and BT in a few different cars. Of all of the BT systems I have used, this particular one connects faster that any I have ever seen. It is flawless.

The little tiny ones I use that I take from radio to radio are always hit and miss. Sometimes they connect automatically, but most of the time I have to do it manually.

With this one, I push the power button and by the time I open my music player app, it is connected. No joke, just seconds. Fantastic system.

If you have always wanted to BT a radio, I recommend this system.

Thanks again Joe!

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
To add a little something to this blue tooth thread...

If you read my thread about blue toothing my Lasonic TRC-920 HERE then you saw I used the same module as Joe. In fact, I bought it from him (thank you for that buddy)

In the Lasonic I was able to simply use the factory power switch to turn on the BT module. The only issue with that is, the BT module is on when ever the radio is on. So if that's something you do not want, then you may want to put in a separate switch just for it.

The mechanical switch on the Lasonic is very hardy. It also features unused pins for which to solder the BT power wire too.

The BT module only has four wires on it. Power, Ground & Left/Right music input.

On the Lasonic, I did not have to remove the main board to access the section of the board where the RCA's attach inside (just inside where the RCA's are on the outside of the box)

I simply soldered a wire to the ground and left / right channels on the "Line In" section of the main board. I used an old RCA jack I cut out of a parts 920 I had, but you can buy RCA connectors online. I then soldered my right / left and ground to those salvaged RCA's which allowed me to simply plug the BT module RCA's in.

I soldered the ground wire to the NEGATIVE wire of the battery block.

The POSITIVE with went to the power switch. Using a multi meter, I checked all the posts on the power switch while it was turned off, to see what had power and what did not. Then I turned the power on and checked again. I located a pin that was dead when off and had power when on making sure it was 12v. I soldered to that.

That was it.

It literally took me 15 minutes to do it all.

One more thing to add...

I have done 10 or so BT mods to various radios. I have used multiple BT modules as well as used BT ear buds and BT in a few different cars. Of all of the BT systems I have used, this particular one connects faster that any I have ever seen. It is flawless.

The little tiny ones I use that I take from radio to radio are always hit and miss. Sometimes they connect automatically, but most of the time I have to do it manually.

With this one, I push the power button and by the time I open my music player app, it is connected. No joke, just seconds. Fantastic system.

If you have always wanted to BT a radio, I recommend this system.

Thanks again Joe!
I concur. I bought the same module from Joe and it's simply the best I've ever used. Super fast and reliable connection every time - much faster than the bluetooth connection in my Renault and Toyota!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
I concur. I bought the same module from Joe and it's simply the best I've ever used. Super fast and reliable connection every time - much faster than the bluetooth connection in my Renault and Toyota!

Wild man....I have never seen any BT connect as fast.

Hat's off to the engineer on this one!

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
blu_fuz said:
Yeah, that module is superior in function over all the rest.
So I bought four of these a while ago after you first posted it's range, and just recently I started playing with them.

I wanted to see what was powering this, (since there are no specs anywhere) so I removed the heatshrink.

It is a CSR8635 module. Their website says it's actually BT 4.1, which may be why it's so impressive. I'm not sure about the board it's mounted to, can find an info on it, or how it has such fantastic range but its actually got a blue powe light Here's the site and some pics.

http://www.csr.com/products/csr8635

Attachments

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
So cool you opened that hard shrink case up. I can't believe they bury the LED under the shrink case, I would love to actually see it.

It's very strange that it looks to be made pretty cheap, far cheaper looking than BT #3 from Sure Electronics.

The range saves the day on this beast, makes me giggle a little bit every time I connect BT from 60+ feet away :rock: :thumbsup:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
^ I saw that, and they lowered the price about $15 each. They seem to only get a few in at a time. I guess I will keeping the few I have already.

Any of you guys troubleshooting the high pitch feedback when hooked into the boombox for power?

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
blu_fuz said:
^ I saw that, and they lowered the price about $15 each. They seem to only get a few in at a time. I guess I will keeping the few I have already.

Any of you guys troubleshooting the high pitch feedback when hooked into the boombox for power?
I haven't installed one in a box yet, just externally. Hoping to soon. Will update when I do.