Life expectancy of the boombox and boomboxes in general

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Atari's still work so why wouldn't boom boxes. I think most of this can be attributed to the high standards of the manufacturing coming out of Japan late 70's early 80's. This is across the board bicycles, cars and electronics.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Guess I will chime in here. I'm not in my 40s yet and I own a tube radio. I also own reel to reel and listen to vinyl every now and then. Not what you would expect from a younger man. Boom boxes were roaming around the streets when my mom was placing me in my high chair. I love the boom box and vintage audio. My opinion is that the children of the parents who still play their machines will somewhat keep the tradition going because it will be a family heirloom. The market will get smaller but there will be some interest.

As far as how long they will last. Well I have to agree with what others had said about use versus non use. If you get them out and exercise them every now and then they tend to last longer. Capacitors will dry up over time and are the most prone to failure. Anything over 30+ years on a electrolytic is getting up there and not likely to be in specs (but can still be functional enough to work). Environment matters too. Attic...hmmm. Not good with high temps. Air condition is better for longer life.

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
hopey said:
Atari's still work so why wouldn't boom boxes. I think most of this can be attributed to the high standards of the manufacturing coming out of Japan late 70's early 80's. This is across the board bicycles, cars and electronics.
But Ataris and other vintage consoles have less components to break. I've owned them for years, super reliable (you know I'm still rocking Super Nintendo). Boomboxes have analog components that are susceptible to failure.
Transistorized said:
Guess I will chime in here. I'm not in my 40s yet and I own a tube radio. I also own reel to reel and listen to vinyl every now and then. Not what you would expect from a younger man. Boom boxes were roaming around the streets when my mom was placing me in my high chair. I love the boom box and vintage audio. My opinion is that the children of the parents who still play their machines will somewhat keep the tradition going because it will be a family heirloom. The market will get smaller but there will be some interest.

As far as how long they will last. Well I have to agree with what others had said about use versus non use. If you get them out and exercise them every now and then they tend to last longer. Capacitors will dry up over time and are the most prone to failure. Anything over 30+ years on a electrolytic is getting up there and not likely to be in specs (but can still be functional enough to work). Environment matters too. Attic...hmmm. Not good with high temps. Air condition is better for longer life.
Guess I'll keep my stuff downstairs. Thanks for that tip.
Ghettoboom767 said:
The old vintage Sharps and JVC's & Panasonics maintained 100 years!!
I was worried that a GF-777 would be one more prone to failure. If what you say is true, gives me more incentive to hunt for one...for an affordable price.

Squablow

Member (SA)
3-D printing, manufacturing of replacement parts for hobbyists (even in small batches) and well narrated instructional videos of how to do repairs will keep them working long past their original life span. Comparing it to old cars, a lot of cars that would have been considered junk or parts only are now restorable because of the new availability of replacement parts and cheaper tools, and shared info on the internet. Jamboxes will benefit the same way.

As for the popularity, I see young kids (like grade school/high school age) who love skateboarding, vinyl records, 80's and 90's looking clothes, BMX bikes, stuff like that, and I definitely get the feeling that once they are of money earning age, they will want to get in on some of this stuff we hold so dear. Price out a square body Chevy pickup from the 80's and see what I mean.

In the same way the 50's got a rebirth in the 80's, the 80's could get the same thing in the next 10 years. And it won't be all older guys trying to relive their youth either. I have a deep love for 50's hot rods/custom cars, muscle cars and midcentury furniture and I was born in 1980. I've been saying for years that 80's modern furniture (think Miami Vice coke dealer batchelor pad, black lacquer and mirrors and colorful neon type ****) will be hugely collectable and valuable in the near future.

And nothing embodies that time period better than a big blocky silver jambox from the 80's, they've got style, they're tied to the music culture and they can be used and shared in a group or party setting, they're useful.

I predict we've got a long way to go up before we come back down again.

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Squablow said:
3-D printing, manufacturing of replacement parts for hobbyists (even in small batches) and well narrated instructional videos of how to do repairs will keep them working long past their original life span. Comparing it to old cars, a lot of cars that would have been considered junk or parts only are now restorable because of the new availability of replacement parts and cheaper tools, and shared info on the internet. Jamboxes will benefit the same way.

As for the popularity, I see young kids (like grade school/high school age) who love skateboarding, vinyl records, 80's and 90's looking clothes, BMX bikes, stuff like that, and I definitely get the feeling that once they are of money earning age, they will want to get in on some of this stuff we hold so dear. Price out a square body Chevy pickup from the 80's and see what I mean.

In the same way the 50's got a rebirth in the 80's, the 80's could get the same thing in the next 10 years. And it won't be all older guys trying to relive their youth either. I have a deep love for 50's hot rods/custom cars, muscle cars and midcentury furniture and I was born in 1980. I've been saying for years that 80's modern furniture (think Miami Vice coke dealer batchelor pad, black lacquer and mirrors and colorful neon type shiat) will be hugely collectable and valuable in the near future.

And nothing embodies that time period better than a big blocky silver jambox from the 80's, they've got style, they're tied to the music culture and they can be used and shared in a group or party setting, they're useful.

I predict we've got a long way to go up before we come back down again.
Sumed up perfectly;

Now to the point; Modern Restoration Verses Vintage?

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
Eventually, they will deteriorate. I like modern restorations, assuming the soul of the product is still there, much like resto-modding cars.

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
Littlehampton West Sussex
Yeah I love my Boomers & once I have gone I have left them all to someone who will look after & use them for as long as they live :yes:

I think some people just get it where we are all concerned!!

Anyway another thing, 1980 wasn't THAT long ago - we are used to hearing stupid farking terms like Retro or Vintage......What a load of old shite!!

They are from 1980 & beyond, that doesn't make them farking Retro/Vintage ffs!!

The fact that most from that era were built to a standard that youngsters can only dream about today............

Remember, the latest generation of youngsters are led to believe that Crossley, Steepletone & others of the same ilk are what everything was about back then & are actually GOOD!! :bang: :bang: :bang:

Would you let one of your vinyl records anywhere near one of those things???

I guess that's a whole new thread :drool:

Anyway, I'm off to watch some shiate TV - that's all we have nowadays...............I guess I miss the 80's & 90's too much :sad: :sad: :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.