LED mod for JVC M70

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josey

Member (SA)
Apr 15, 2014
Any instructions-info on how to put the 4017 chip in?
Does it replace another chip?
Where do you get the chip from? would I need to replace the current lamps also?

Anyone?

Cameronplato

Jun 13, 2018
Nashvegas
I just performed this morning last night using the kit from analog alley. Great instructions and super cool outcome. Also, I cleaned everything with deoxit and fader lube while it was apart. That fixed some preamp channel issues (thin left speaker output). All good!

Here’s the suck part: the power switch isn’t working. It physically moves but the power just stays on. Do you think this is related to the lcd mod or do you think I jacked the switch up cleaning and working the power switch?

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Cameronplato said:
Here’s the suck part: the power switch isn’t working. It physically moves but the power just stays on. Do you think this is related to the lcd mod or do you think I jacked the switch up cleaning and working the power switch?
I can think of one way to find out. :-D

Welcome aboard, Cameron. Finally... another Nashville boy on here! :cool: :rock:

Superduper

Member (SA)
As the switch is completely unrelated to the kit and installation, there is no reason to think that it has anything to do with the malfunction.

However, several things come to mind:

1). Does the cassette deck work properly? Because if the deck is not working due to worn/broken belts and not in the reset position, it will constantly power on the unit regardless of what the power switch does. If this is the case, you will need to manually rotate the flywheel (in the proper rotation direction) to reset the deck which shuts it off.

2). When you cleaned the power switch, is there any chance you stretched one of the leafs? The power switch is an exposed switch that relies on calibrated spring leafs. A fulcrum action causes the leafs to spring one way or the other. Any distortion of the leaf springs will cause them to not work properly anymore. Rather than risk stretching or deforming them, the only way I ever try to clean them is to place a tiny piece of thin 400-600 grit sandpaper, folded over so grit is on both sides, and insert between the contacts. I then press contacts together and pull the paper out. It does not take much to restore the surface. Wetting the sandpaper beforehand with some deoxit can't hurt either. There are also 2 positions so make sure you got both positions.

3). Is the switch shaft lever actually installed correctly? If it came loose, you might not actually be switching anything.

4). Lastly, this may sound obvious and silly, but is the switch cap actually slipped over the switch handle? It is possible to miss and snap into the groove and miss the shaft.

sunshine_ax

Member (SA)
I would love to do this mod. When I got my M70, I hit that button and thought maybe it was broken since the light didn't stay on. I could understand that if you were using batteries, but when plugged in it's nice to have it stay on like old modular stereos. I really like the LED mods that make the glass glow blue too, It's much brighter than the factory lights.

sunshine_ax

Member (SA)
Hey, I just put it together. SuperDuper is Norm (Norman) and he owns Analog Alley! Well, thanks Norm for setting me up with one of your LED Mods! I love the idea of having a bright display and it staying on when I hit the button. The instructions look amazing too. We'll see how this goes. Wish me luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.