Lasonic TRC-935 Re-Fresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Last week I posted a thread of a mini meet HERE. Peter (AKA Fresh Produce) brought his NIB Lasonic TRC-935 over. With the two side by side I learned a few things.

First, without a doubt these look better with the foam removed from the speakers! But I don't need to tell you that....just look at them side by side....

sidebyside.jpg

But as I suspected, Peter's radio must be a later production model. Because when I opened mine up to remove the foam, I found a "Y" shaped plastic support. Peter's 935 did not have that.

IMAG0952.jpg

IMAG0955.jpg

I carefully removed the foam and took a Dremill tool and cut the "Y" out. I will keep those parts, incase I want to put it all back.

IMAG0965.jpg

IMAG0953 (1).jpg

One thing that is nice, is the front covers come off without having to open the radio, just 4 allen screws on the front case. I needed to do some work inside so the back is off anyways.

IMAG0954.jpg

IMAG0956.jpg

Much Better! That is some EYE CANDY!

IMAG0963.jpg

But it wasn't just the look of Peter's 935 that was noticeably different. It was the fact that it was so TIGHT. No creaks, no rattles...just SOLID. Factory Solid!

I needed to clean my volume slider, so while I was in there I had another look around to see if I could make any improvements.

First, there were 3 screws missing do to broken posts. I was able to use longer screws to reach them, that helped greatly!

I also found that the main PC Board which is basically the tuner board cradles into a groove in the rear case. I placed some felt pads there to help with vibration and possible rattles. There is a line where you could see the PC board had been rubbing, so that's a possible issue.

IMAG0957.jpg

Previously I had put foam pads on the back of the speakers where posts rest against the magnets.

IMAG0961.jpg

IMAG0962.jpg

But to add to this, I used a hot glue gun to put rubber buttons on the end of the post to help tighten things up.

IMAG0959.jpg

IMAG0960.jpg

Another thing I noticed while Peter was here was that my battery door was rattling horribly!

So I added a foam strip. Now it's nice and tight!

IMAG0964.jpg

I still think this is the best of the Lasonic Super Jumbo's. The 975 hit's harder with the LBS, but the 935 is no slouch and with the case tightened up you can push the bass harder without it sounding like your shredding a speaker! Add in the sweet EQ lights and now the fact that you can see the round speakers...I have to say, she looks sweet!

IMAG0966.jpg

IMAG0967.jpg

IMAG0968.jpg

Thanks for the motivation Peter :thumbsup:

hemiguy2006

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Night and day difference.
Good move on you . Honestly I wouldn't even keep the foam. Lol
I would never put it back in.
Did you get all the rattles tightened up so it sounds like a new one now?

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
hemiguy2006 said:
Night and day difference.
Good move on you . Honestly I wouldn't even keep the foam. Lol
I would never put it back in.
Did you get all the rattles tightened up so it sounds like a new one now?
It's a world of difference. I think I have every rattle handled....The only thing to do now is test it out!

I just need to work on the handle....it creaks so bad, it's embarrassing. I can't strut this beauty with a creaky handle! :lol:

hemiguy2006

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
It's a world of difference. I think I have every rattle handled....The only thing to do now is test it out!

I just need to work on the handle....it creaks so bad, it's embarrassing. I can't strut this beauty with a creaky handle! :lol:
Brooklyn Jimmy taught me a kool trickfor the loose handle ends.
By taking the handle out and inserting foam o rings between the plastic handle holders an the handle ends tightens them up nice and gives a more quality feel when you raise and lower the handle. Also prevents the handle from flopping around and falling on its own if its in the up position. Try it out!!!!!
He can tell you where he got the foams.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Nice job bud! Every 935 should have the foam and sticks pulled from the speaker grills!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Northerner said:
Looks much nicer with the woofers on show...top work! :)
Yeah, for sure, thanks man!

hemiguy2006 said:
By taking the handle out and inserting foam o rings between the plastic handle holders an the handle ends tightens them up nice and gives a more quality feel when you raise and lower the handle. Also prevents the handle from flopping around and falling on its own if its in the up position. Try it out!!!!!
Oh, that's brilliant! I will absolutely do that. I might even have something I can use.

blu_fuz said:
Nice job bud! Every 935 should have the foam and sticks pulled from the speaker grills!
You know, I have been reluctant to do it ONLY because I wanted to keep it original, but every time I see one here on Boomboxery (this morning seeing Alberto's avatar) just makes me want it....Seeing Peter's in person last week was enough for me....So I got off my ass and just did it.

She's ready for some blasting now!

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Very nice Chris but I agree with keeping the original foam and Y pieces for future. You never know if the value will rise when kept as original :drool:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
:lol: :lol:Great Job Chris! It looks fantastic! :drool: :drool:

Even though the foam looks bad it really protects the white paper cone from any stain accidents. It is very hard to find a white cone that was not somehow stained with some crap.

:-D

It will be interesting to see what a see through panty hose does! :w00t: :lol: :lol:

May be it will look nice!

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
Outstanding work and big time improvements in looks. Tightening up the unit itself is something I do with my boomers regardless of brand. Especially with the use and abuse, let alone the age of these units.

Also agree with keeping the parts. Although now a true mod, for the one who wants it back as close to bone stock can make it work.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Thanks again guys...

I have spent the whole rest of the day with this radio and the last thing about it, that ever provided any hindrance I had in using it, because of it's looks (being not as sexy as the 975) are all gone now!

It looks as good at the 975 now that you can see the round speakers. Add in the fact that the case is super tight now. I need to do the work to the handle that Frank mentioned . I have a plan on how to fix the antenna tabs, more on that later.

I have this radio Bluetooth modded and it's just the perfect package. Without a doubt, this is my most used Jumbo and my most used RADIO!

Every time I look around the boomroom for a radio, I seem to always end up taking this one.

Full FM dial to 108 incase I use my FM transmitter - CHECK
Working cassette decks - CHECK
Bluetooth - CHECK
Power cord - CHECK
Line in AND out - CHECK
Microphone in (Yes, I have sang though this radio and my 777z many times) - CHECK
Fantastic Looks and full light show - DOUBLE CHECK

I have to say, this is the best shape she has ever been in and sounds solid as a rock.

My goal now is to totally go through the 975 and the 951 like this. The 975 is 90% there, but that 10% sounds like the wings are gonna fall off and certain frequencies. The 951 needs the FM worked out, I think it's a bad switch, have had some slight "Wiggle Success". It also needs some EQ parts and the full shakedown of the body panels.

Peter has seen the 3 Big Boys go many times, when they are tight, they will be SICK!

=ml=

Member (SA)
Jan 10, 2011
E-Rock (Eagle Rock, L.A.)
Great looking and sounding box, Chris! :thumbsup: :cool: I got mine after seeing yours! :yes:

hemiguy2006 said:
I need these foam O rings for my 931. What do they look like and where can I buy them? :hmmm:

Go!

=ml=

THAFUZZ

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Midwest, USA
=ml= said:
Great looking and sounding box, Chris! :thumbsup: :cool: I got mine after seeing yours! :yes:

I need these foam O rings for my 931. What do they look like and where can I buy them? :hmmm:

Go!

=ml=
Yes, I need them as well for My 931, 975 & 935. Great work guys! They look super

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
=ml= said:

Go!

=ml=
Do u ever buy blank DVDs or CDs on a spool? A couple come on those...

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
=ml= said:

Go!

=ml=
I made them out of some stick on rubber that I had laying around. I'm sure almost anything could be used, from cutting up an old bicycle tube to stick on pads you put under items to protect furniture.

Ghettoboom767 said:
Great job Chris,big improvement!!!:)
I have 2 975's but no 931 or 935 yet.
Looks super!!/)
I still need to get a 931.....I'm looking, but haven't found the right one yet.

Gluecifer said:
Beautiful work, Chris!

Man, I need a 935 so bad..

Rock On.
Bro, I know you love your 975 AND I know you love your 80's Bling....the 935 was built for you!

mellymelsr said:
Very nice work Chris!!
Thanks Melly!

Status
Not open for further replies.