Lasonic TRC-931, how many versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Hey guys, I am going to the Lasonic factory tomorrow as part of member Miles BOOMBOX CREATORS documentary. I will ask some of the questions listed above and get back with you.

Of course I am taking all my Lasonic's with me! :-D

As for the 931's and the AKA's, I'm wondering if Lasonic licensed to other companies or vise versa????

Thanks to Blu_Fuz and Bad Boy Bill for keeping most of this stuff straight.

So many of these radios had different cassette keys too which add's to the variations. Makes it a b$tch to find parts too! (ask Hemiguy).

Still, if your a collector with out a Lasonic your just a Blaster Snob! :lol: :yes: :-P

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
There's a similar thread at the UKVR forum where the connection between LG and the variously named TRC931-shaped boxes from Lasonic, Crown, Unichav, Ingersoll, etc. is explained. Was it here that someone confirmed that their Goldstar also had the Lucky stamp somewhere inside? We should all have one by now, not owning something Lasonic is like being a Mason with two trouser legs the same length; ostensibly perfectly normal but extrafeckeral to the in crowd ;-) . Last one I viewed was missing most of its essential parts but had that been a Hacker, Sharp, B&O, ITT-KB or JVC I'd have had it regardless, however with so many variations on essentially the same classic shape, the 931 could be a big no-no for buying incomplete, especially if the first two generations only had the one tape deck, a thing I hadn't realised while I read the above quoted list of variations, and then it came as a surprise - I'd thought they all had two; one vertical, one horizontal like a car radio.

Confused? Yeah! :blush:

Any of the older 931's all had 2 decks not sure where you heard different. Even the CDX931 has dual decks and CD player. :hmmm:

Bad Boy Bill

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
All the radios are packed up and ready to go. Its amazing how many radios you can put in a Toyota MR2. Tomorrow will be a long day. I will be driving 85 miles into the heart of downtown LA on some of the busiest freeways in the world. If I dont make it, crush me and the radios in the car and just bury it all.

These are my final wishes, thank you.

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
baddboybill said:
Any of the older 931's all had 2 decks not sure where you heard different. Even the CDX931 has dual decks and CD player. :hmmm:

Bad Boy Bill
I read it in this very thread. It's on page one in post #12 by Blu_Fuz:

3rd edition:
Dual cassette, rounded box corners
And that's how I'm confused.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I never really said any of them were single cassette, I was just noting that the '3rd edition' box shape changed but was still dual cassette.

Old school Scott

Member (SA)
Jun 12, 2009
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Hey guys, I am going to the Lasonic factory tomorrow as part of member Miles BOOMBOX CREATORS documentary. I will ask some of the questions listed above and get back with you.

Of course I am taking all my Lasonic's with me! :-D

As for the 931's and the AKA's, I'm wondering if Lasonic licensed to other companies or vise versa????

Thanks to Blu_Fuz and Bad Boy Bill for keeping most of this stuff straight.

So many of these radios had different cassette keys too which add's to the variations. Makes it a b$tch to find parts too! (ask Hemiguy).

Still, if your a collector with out a Lasonic your just a Blaster Snob! :lol: :yes: :-P
Cool!! See if you can get a list of all of their models.
I saw this great little Lasonic mono on ebay that I almost bid on that was new to me.

Cheers OSS :afro:

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
blu_fuz said:
I never really said any of them were single cassette, I was just noting that the '3rd edition' box shape changed but was still dual cassette.
Confusion fixed, I put it down to being blond for the first 22 years of my life! :yes: :blush:

stormsven

Member (SA)
Jan 14, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
All the radios are packed up and ready to go. Its amazing how many radios you can put in a Toyota MR2. Tomorrow will be a long day. I will be driving 85 miles into the heart of downtown LA on some of the busiest freeways in the world. If I dont make it, crush me and the radios in the car and just bury it all.

These are my final wishes, thank you.
Hey dude, please ask them for the Lucky branded 931. It looks extremely rare , and is really interesting if they have any info about where and how many were sold.
Have a great day and we all will meet in Uruguay :weed: :lol:

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
Old school Scott said:
Cool!! See if you can get a list of all of their models.
I saw this great little Lasonic mono on ebay that I almost bid on that was new to me.

Cheers OSS :afro:
I seem that too, I had just bought a GE mono.. Otherwise I might've paid $40 shipped that they wanted for that Lasonic..

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Was the person using the dice drunk when they stamped the buck through for that moulding? :lol: Are they all the same or are they stamped individually, one die at a time by someone who would otherwise be out of work?

It all adds character I suppose. :yes:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Hey Guys,

Well, I drove down to Los Angeles yesterday and got to see first hand what is going on with Miles' "Boombox Creator's" documentary. WOW is all I can say! I had no idea the scale of this project, this is HUGE! MORE TO COME ON THAT.

As for all the questions listed above....I will say this...EVERY QUESTION ASKED EVER ABOUT LASONIC was asked and answered yesterday! I literally stood in awe with my jaw open as Albert Chen, the grandson of the creator of Lasonic answered the questions.

All the questions about Lucky: ANSWERED!
All the questions about how many 931's: ANSWERED!
All the questions of quantities built: ANSWERED!

The amount of information that was filmed for the documentary is just amazing!

BUT....Your going to have to wait, I would not want to undercut the efforts of Miles and his film crew and I wouldn't want to ruin the pure excitement that will come when you see the finished product and see the answers for yourself. I promise you will be FLOORED!

All I can say is....We were all just guessing in the dark and were WAY off on most of this stuff!

I will however be posting a new thread about the day at Lasonic and some other cool info!

Look for that later today.

im_alan_partridge

Member (SA)
Jul 21, 2010
London, England.
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Hey Guys,

Well, I drove down to Los Angeles yesterday and got to see first hand what is going on with Miles' "Boombox Creator's" documentary. WOW is all I can say! I had no idea the scale of this project, this is HUGE! MORE TO COME ON THAT.

As for all the questions listed above....I will say this...EVERY QUESTION ASKED EVER ABOUT LASONIC was asked and answered yesterday! I literally stood in awe with my jaw open as Albert Chen, the grandson of the creator of Lasonic answered the questions.

All the questions about Lucky: ANSWERED!
All the questions about how many 931's: ANSWERED!
All the questions of quantities built: ANSWERED!

The amount of information that was filmed for the documentary is just amazing!

BUT....Your going to have to wait, I would not want to undercut the efforts of Miles and his film crew and I wouldn't want to ruin the pure excitement that will come when you see the finished product and see the answers for yourself. I promise you will be FLOORED!

All I can say is....We were all just guessing in the dark and were WAY off on most of this stuff!

I will however be posting a new thread about the day at Lasonic and some other cool info!

Look for that later today.
Wow, Wow, Wow. I cant wait for this thread :bow: :bow: :bow:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
JustCruisin said:
Did u ask about the fake tweeters?
Well, we all know that the TRC-920T had fake tweeters and I had asked him about that the first time I met Albert and he told me it was simply a financial issue to keep manufacturing costs down. That's not really a shocker.

im_alan_partridge said:
Wow, Wow, Wow. I cant wait for this thread :bow: :bow: :bow:
I have to go out for a bit, but will write this up as soon as I get home. BIG THINGS from Lasonic in 2014...Oh Yeah! :thumbsup: :rock:

im_alan_partridge

Member (SA)
Jul 21, 2010
London, England.
And right on cue my 931 has now arrived. I guess its a 2nd gen.

Its much much nicer looking than this crappy phone pic i just took and has no missing parts
It does need some switch attention but nothing the seller didnt mention and there is also somthing rattleing around inside.

I LOVE it :yes:

IMG_0895.JPG

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Great Find Alan. I'm sure you know these are hard to find with all the knobs and switches!

The 931 is still on my "LIST" when I can find a complete one like yours.

Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.