Lasonic i931BT fried at 240v?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
If I didn't see something, I'm not sure I'd use this as grounds for questioning someone's integrity and for what it's worth no, I wasn't suggesting that the O/P should commit fraud. Fitness for purpose where electrical goods are concerned involves their being suitable for connection to a mains supply that is at best inconsistent and at worst responsible for many failures in older homes that still protect their ring mains with archaic fuses.
That, combined with the fact that I have seen one of these and that it has a 230V TX inside by default, is why I was trying to post in a way that most closely ties in with the O/P's enquiry, based on countless dead devices I've met over the years whose failure has been caused in this way.

I don't appreciate having my scruples challenged by someone I have never met, nor ever done business with but can understand your reservations and have read sufficient of your posts here to know that you tend to come straight to the point without sparing anyone's feelings. FWIW, that's an approach that has frequently got me into trouble so no apology was necessary; you had the thought in your mind and wondered, so you asked. That I respect.
:yes:

Superduper

Member (SA)
I am not one for political correctness, and I have no trouble saying what I think. My question to you was legitimate and no words challenged your scruples, but I did tell you what it sounded like. The OP clearly stated that he made a mistake, plugged the boombox into 220V when it was set to 110V. There is absolutely NO ambiguity as to what was the cause of the problem.

See below, your posts quoted one at at time. Not my words, yours. Nowhere did I find any mention of the 110V setting, only that the local power supplies fluctuate and are irregular in voltage -- how this relates to the boombox getting fried is beyond me since in order to get damaged by the fluctuating voltage, it should have been set at 220 first. The following were your posts prior to my question. Did you subsequently express that you feel it improper for a company to ship a product to UK with the default set to 110? Yes, but nowhere prior did you express that (and a totally different argument), and so excuse me if I couldn't read your mind. In any event, my contributions here were all focused on the topic at hand, where I suggested that the transformer was toast due to the improper voltage setting and subsequent application of power, and the result was indeed that the transformer was toast. Feel free to go through the thread again and explain to me where I failed to recognize the insight into your thinking prior to your last 2 posts?

Beosystem10 said:
...Or you could take it back under warranty. These have a 230V mains transformer but they are a little on the inexpensive side so if it has been plugged in during the night or at other off peak times, when UK mains can fluctuate as far as 260V in rural areas, then it may not be your fault.

Check your inbox.
Beosystem10 said:
Must have been a surge that did for it. 230V power supplies tend to be on their limit on our inconsistent supply. Glad it's all sorted now though. :thumbsup:
Beosystem10 said:
If the seller stayed somewhere surges were less common, such as a Hydroboard area, then they may genuinely not have considered the set's 230V mains TX to be a potential source of trouble.......

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
OK, obviously I didn't make it clear enough: These radios as supplied within the UK have no 110V or 220V setting, they're equipped - somewhat bizarrely - for 230V, better than the European 220V supplies found in some imports but nonetheless inadequate.
So the one thing of which there's absolutely no doubt is that the O/P didn't plug the set into a 220V supply unless of course he'd been abroad to somewhere in Europe and had brought the radio there with him for the companionship.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Jbridges1977 said:
In the excitement of receiving a lasonic for xmas I omitted to take account of the fact that the unit runs on 110v and the uk power supply is 240v.
OK, so I presumed based on the OP's own exact words of plugging a 110V box into 240V hence his troubles and why I did not understand why you ignored that fact (or mis-stated fact, if OP made a mistake which he has not stated or clarified).

I did refer in my previous post to you 220v on several occassions and you argue that the OP did NOT plug the box into 220 (probably because I mentioned 220 but here, we have 110-125 and we do not differentiate between them). It's true that I don't differentiate between 220 to 240 since it's uncommon here, but in any event, that's irrelevant since regardless of 220 or 240, that same 110v transformer would've been toast no matter which. In any case, I asked my question which if you look at my logic, is legitimate, and you've answered so let's just leave it at that. If you are in agreement that fraud is not to be used as a means to justify an end, then I'm good if you are good.

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
I see what you're saying, but the tx in these, as supplied at the point of entry - by the concessionaires or someone they employ to do this - in order to comply with UK regs, is a simple, somewhat underrated 230V one that toils to act as intended for whatever reason.
As was stated in the other UK member's Lasonic-related thread that I mentioned on page 1, the label on the cabinet does indeed say 110V or somewhere by that amount, but the tx itself, as found in these new ones, is a 230V device and quite possibly one that's barely able to cope with the demands of the device and/or the vagaries of the supply.
Good? Of course we're good. This is a web forum and when two members - who both appear see fora as the modern alternatives to a public steam room - debate stuff in such a venue then one of them will often quote the other in a highly selective and ever so slightly less than objective way but yes, it's all good. :-)

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Anyone who loves voltages and supply terms will have a complete nerdgasm reading those last few posts :-P

Status
Not open for further replies.