kaboom no kaboom

Status
Not open for further replies.

blah blah

Member (SA)
May 8, 2009
deep fluffy powdercountry
thanks rbj, i get a little obsessive :w00t: i don't have much $ in this so it is more of a challenge...and i really have the kaboom breakdown in hand :lol:

so the bp 100 is better you say? i will have to start looking....i have never heard ANY kaboom!

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
the bp100 is so good --
that if i could only get ONE kaboom -
for life :-O :-O
thats IT !!!

in the same series is a bp200 which is the same box
but with a more outrageous // obnoxious purple color scheme

(i have the 200) :w00t: :lol:

Superduper

Member (SA)
Hey Tim. Those caps are the same. The blue one is probably an older one. Newer capacitors are far smaller than caps produced 20 or 30 years ago due to different manufacturing techniques. Normally, short-fat ones are not used unless it's for clearance issues. Just a quick note -- I would never install an old/used capacitor. They are cheap enough to NOT warrant reuse, especially electrolytic capacitors which are prone to age related failure. Inside is an electrolytic solution which dries out over time. As for polarity, yes, you MUST reinstall them in the same polarity. The PC board usually is marked with the polarity. However, you should always check and note the polarity before removing them because if you forgot to check and the board is not marked, then you are not going to have a good day unless you have some reference. BTW, if you install it backwards, it's likely to fail very quickly (since the reverse current will break down the connection inside) and if enough current passes through the cap (such as in a power supply circuit), it's likely to explode. No kidding -- watched one happen up close myself. The stripe almost always is marked for the negative lead but I have seen the stripe marked for positive too. Read the stripe carefully. The (-) legend should be visible in the stripe. Just saying don't presume, especially on the older ones. Look and read the stripe carefully.

As for solder pads not wanting to reflow -- just turn up the heat a bit or wait a little bit longer. It does take some practive go get the hang of soldering techniques. Also, the quality of your gear will make a difference. If you are using a normal pen type soldering iron, they don't heat up very fast for low wattage ones, and high wattage ones will burn off the solder very quickly and oxidize. You need to clean and re-tin the tip frequently or you won't get good heat conduction. If you don't solder on a regular basis, it's easy miss this. I know you are trying to desolder but maybe even add a bit of solder while you are desoldering -- that frequently makes it easier. Mostly though, the conformal coating and a dirty (not tinned) tip is the reason for solder not wanting to melt.

BTW, if you are planning to recap, send me a list of the caps you need and I can mail you the whole shebang, if you like. That way, there will be no recycling of old caps and you don't have to go shopping with a laundry list of caps, 1/2 of which are probably not stocked at your local supplier. I do not, however, stock any SMD's. Don't work on them frequently enough, nor do I like to work on those newer boards. My eyes can't take it.

Last note -- I see you are trying to replace all the components that are showing rust. In truth, I doubt that the rust on those component legs will actually work it's way into the component itself.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
blah blah said:
Ira the bp100? i cannot even find a picture or anything? dp100 or bp100? you pulling my kaboom?

never mind you mean dp100. the POS i can't fix! :lol:
------------------------------------

oops --its DP !!
:dunce: sorry for the confusion
old fellas get their consonants mixed up
:w00t:

blah blah

Member (SA)
May 8, 2009
No worries RBJ, even young studs :lol: like myself get confused :w00t:

Norm as always great tips and suggestions. Man you are right these new boards are almost microscopic on some traces and components. And you would be ashamed of my soldering iron and the darkness I work in :'-( gonna upgrade a few tools this weekend :-)

Not sure if I will attempt the recap job, I might let sit for a while. The cassette motor was fine and I traced every line I could find and it seems that the damaged area is not the problem and the rest of the boards are super clean, I stripped here down to her panties....

It just won't stay powered up. Just shuts off when running the check....three seconds displaying function, then an almost inaudible tone from the speakers and shuts off.... :drool:

For now it is enormous clock with the wrong time. (but the clock does run) :lol:

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Do these Kabooms have thermal fuses inside the transformer? I can't imagine that the transformer is heating up that quickly though. :huh: :-/

blah blah

Member (SA)
May 8, 2009
Man Fatdog i have no idea...SD indicate they go through checkpoints before turning on, so something is not check listing properly. :no: hoping SD can take a gander at the manual and see where i might be missing something.

i'd like to see flava flav wear this clock :drool:

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
flava flav prolly would wear it :w00t: :-D

as a hail marry --
did you try it with batteries ?

and --could the separate clock batteries have anything to
do with what norm says is the 'start-up' process ?

blah blah

Member (SA)
May 8, 2009
no didn't i didn't try it with batteries, but the guy i got it from did. The back up clock batteries are good and installed so i don't know...somehow i think it may be a CD malfunction but god knows i cannot track that down...

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
blah blah said:
just an update that i still hate this f**king box. it's like my prostate, want to work but won't. stay tuned for an awesome 12GA shotgun destruction video :-D

Feck ill pay to see that bro :lol..............im just as mad wanna see some 90 sledge action :lol: :

Status
Not open for further replies.