JVC / Victor RC-838 balance issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superduper

Member (SA)
JVC Floyd said:
That's what's wrong with mine a bad slider the reason I know is because if I push on it hard enough to balance comes back on but it won't stay on . I was considering bypassing the balance slider all together maybe removing it and just putting the jumper wires but I don't even know if that'll work. I always thought a balance control was stupid anyway all they do is cause problems.
Floyd, this problem exists even if there is a bad bass or treble slider (I can't remember if it's either or both that can causes this issue). The reason is that a break in that slider effectively kills that channel, but if you put the boombox into mix mode (expand or biphonic), then the good remaining channel mixes the signal to the now dead channel, but the mix signal is injected AFTER the slider which is why the channel is restored, but actually it's in mono now since both channels will be playing only the music from one channel.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Norm the bass and treble sliders work perfectly on mine, you can tell the balance slider is junk just by how it moves and its flimsy like it wants to fall apart. I think you sent me a balance slider but I lost it.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
This is the first time I've seen this thread and I find it fascinating to read. The analysis, the way different investigative avenues are explored and the collective logic is way above my expertise (or lack of it) but you guys make your posted detective work easy to follow therefore better for a non-techie like me to understand.

Many thanks, brilliant thread. :yes: :rock:

Superduper

Member (SA)
JVC Floyd said:
Norm the bass and treble sliders work perfectly on mine, you can tell the balance slider is junk just by how it moves and its flimsy like it wants to fall apart. I think you sent me a balance slider but I lost it.
Floyd, I don't doubt at all that the balance slider may be bad. However I'm just saying regarding the symptoms that Chris is having, it's more likely a bass or treble slider. The easiest way to confirm is via the test I suggested to Chris. Furthermore, you can verify if the bad slider is bass/treble by setting boombox to biphonic or expand mode to restore the dead channel. Then operate the bass or treble slider and carefully listen to see if the previously dead, now alive channel, has the expected changes in the audio of that channel. It may be difficult to hear it if the other channel is operating properly.

MyOhMy said:
This is the first time I've seen this thread and I find it fascinating to read. The analysis, the way different investigative avenues are explored and the collective logic is way above my expertise (or lack of it) but you guys make your posted detective work easy to follow therefore better for a non-techie like me to understand.

Dear MyOhMy, I apologize if sometimes it's a bit challenging to follow along. I believe that if I added some visual aid of what I'm talking about that things would become so much clearer. Unfortunately sometimes I forget and take it for granted that everyone knows what I'm saying. It's just that adding pictures on everything quickly fills up our image attachment allocation limit, plus it takes so much time to do.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Superduper said:

Dear MyOhMy, I apologize if sometimes it's a bit challenging to follow along. I believe that if I added some visual aid of what I'm talking about that things would become so much clearer. Unfortunately sometimes I forget and take it for granted that everyone knows what I'm saying. It's just that adding pictures on everything quickly fills up our image attachment allocation limit, plus it takes so much time to do.
Nah, never mind me, you just carry on and I'll try to keep up :yes: . I've always been in awe of your own - and other forum members - incredible (in my humble mind) level of expertise in many technical aspects of things boombox and I try to follow as best I can. My remembery doesn't work like it once did so I find it very difficult to remember new things (especially in an unfamiliar, technical field) but I try my best as the thread develops. The way technical know how with logic is used to analysis problems (such as presented in this thread) help me to better understand the issue - you make it sound like the sort of basic common sense we should know, it just sounds so easy I think to myself: "Duh, oh yeah - I should have know that!" :yes: :lol:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Understood Norm your way smarter than I am brother . I should have listened more carefully at what you were saying , I might learn something.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
So, I skipped all the long posts, (My wife's right here so I don't have time to read them all). The 838 I gave to my mom had what seems like the same issue.

But I gave the biphonic/mono/stereo switch an extra cleaning and then it all seemed to clear up. And I agree, it was kind of a harder switch to get to.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
It helps to use a syringe filled with the contact cleaner to get into these controls . I always get it all over the place using the spray can plus the tube is too big to really reach inside the controls and the syringe that's long enough can get into tight spots that are hard to access.

Status
Not open for further replies.