JVC RC M80 belts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
baddboybill said:
Good luck Royce I know what you mean about tiny parts falling and being lost :-(
That is correct Bill! :lol: :lol: OMG I have suffered looking for items like that.

Today it was the tiny teflon washer of the capstan on the cassette side. I kept it is a small plastic cup but knocked it it to the floor. Luckily I found it. There is a 4 mm long spring I had to be really careful with.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I spend 2 hours to open up to check the idler. The Idler looks a little worn out.
The idler tire spring tension was increased by turning it ~15 degrees. I put it all back and that additional tension didn’t help at all. It badly needs a new idler wheel.
The good thing is that I learned how to work on it and open up the deck section. I need to order 11mm diameter idler tire and see if that works. There is a limit on the idler tire diameter because there is a post next to it on the arm.
Please see the attached pictures

Attachments

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
BoomboxLover48 said:
I spend 2 hours to open up to check the idler. The Idler looks a little worn out.
The idler tire spring tension was increased by turning it ~15 degrees. I put it all back and that additional tension didn’t help at all. It badly needs a new idler wheel.
The good thing is that I learned how to work on it and open up the deck section. I need to order 11mm diameter idler tire and see if that works. There is a limit on the idler tire diameter because there is a post next to it on the arm.
Please see the attached pictures
Royce did you try to clean tire and surfaces where tire rides with rubbing alcohol. It looks pretty dirty and can cause slippage. When you clean tire with alcohol make sure to rub dry right away ;-)

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
Bill's right. That's an awful lot of crusty lube on there. :sick:
A thorough cleaning may just do the trick. I see a fully functioning deck in your future! :yes:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hi superlew and Bill, I cleaned the wheels pretty good. The picture I posted was before cleaning.

I used (0%) Mineral Spirits because Isopropanol was not dissolving the mess.

The rubber idler was not bad looking. It was strong and flexible but I'm sure it wornout a good layer from the surface. Cleaning didn't help much all. So I decided to remove the rubber tire from the plastic hub. It was originally a part that came with the hub. It was not easy to remove it from the hub.

Now I don't know where to get a flat tire 4.0 mm inside diameter and 11.0 mm outside diameter and 3.0 mm thick that can slip in the hub.

The pdf file from studio electronics is not showing the type I need. I will print the pdf file and see if I get a match.

http://www.studiosoundelectronics.com/it.htm

I used a syringe with a needle for lubricating the axle of the small wheels. I could use 1/4 to 1/8th of a drop of oil just enough to do the job.

Attachments

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
baddboybill said:
Maybe a rubber o ring at hardware store might be of some use :hmmm:
O ring idea for idler use is my Patent Bill! Haha!

That is what I used on my GF9696. I also helped out Jeff with those O rings.

I already have the right size with me but the hub is too deep for the O ring. It is loose in the hub.

I found the right size wheel that is sold at Menards for fixing faucets. The problem is that it is hard and cannot be slipped in the hub. So I need a rubber tire of the same measurements.

The other option is to look for rubber tubes of the same internal and external diameters of the tire, then make a thin slice of it at 3 mm thickness.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
BoomboxLover48 said:
Thanks Bill! I always appreciate your help and suggestions! You are the best!
No problem Royce, always love helping out my friends trying to get these vintage boomers back to fully working condition :-)

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
superlew said:
Bill's right. That's an awful lot of crusty lube on there. :sick:
A thorough cleaning may just do the trick. I see a fully functioning deck in your future! :yes:
Thanks for the kind words! You are a gentleman!

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I FIXED THE M80 DECK! :dj: :dj-party: :beer2: :clap: :breakdance: :breakdance: :breakdance: :dog: :dog: :thumbsup:

After 9 attempts with modified rubber wheels and putting all back to test it all failed. The take up reel slips after half a turn. Then I went and put a very thin rubber tube over the drive contact wheel and it showed much improvement but not a whole lot. I took it out later.

The next step was to modify the idler wheel with more width and area of contact. That worked! Basically I found a rubber tube that could slip tightly over the hub. I shaped it real good and put it all back together. It worked just fine!
I tested it for more than 3 hours and checked the wheels and it all looked fine.

I never give up.... I am a bulldog! hahaha

Pictures to follow...

Attachments

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
The M80 is working like a charm!

It had some uneven wear on the pinch roller. I used a 1000 grit paper and smoothened it. It came out so good!

The pinch roller assembly spring is very tricky to put back. The same is the situation with the idler wheel assembly. Brakes should be completely released from the front before one puts the assembly in the deck. Learned a lot from this project. I will be happy to help our friends here if they run into deck issues with M80.

The little time I get between work, travel and home I was always worried about fixing my M80. Today I did it!

I am a fee man now!

Bourbon time! :beer2: :popcorn: :breakdance: :newyear: :newyear: :newyear: :newyear:

Status
Not open for further replies.