JVC PC-550 record playback tape head

IvajloB

Jan 19, 2019
Hello all , I am searching for tape head of my pc-550.Ani advice or idea how to find a head?
My head is broken and have to be replaced.Do uou have a similar models with this head?
Thanks in advance!

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
i think i have one and i know its good only scrapped the the box because it had other issues but the tape head was good the last time i used it . i think i have almost the entire tape mech.

IvajloB

Jan 19, 2019
The original heads cannot be replaced with this model.I prefer to replaced with original.The head is simalar like this in the attached photo.

Attachments

Wes125

Member (SA)
Aug 9, 2021
Uk
dont like these heads they go out of line with the constant back & forth movement. ive thrown loads of these away in the past. the fixed auto reverse heads are better in my opinion. but they didn't stick to that idea for very long. coz they knew it would last longer

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
these heads are more trouble than they're worth the best thing to do is if they're working on one side just flip the tape manually.

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
4-track fixed auto reverse head is used in Walkmans and car cassette players.
This is a very simple and technically easy solution, without any moving parts that can be damaged:

I can't understand why rotating heads are used in cassette decks.
They are much more capricious to adjust and easier to break.
But most manufacturers use them extensively in cassette mechanisms.
That's why I don't like decks with such rotating heads.

Wes125

Member (SA)
Aug 9, 2021
Uk
coz they go wrong goodman thats why. these designers think of ways to shorten the units life so people go out and buy new stuff. as we all know the build quality on todays items is rubbish. they make it cheap and sell it on to make a good profit. the days are gone when u bought a stereo with good quality bulid..yes u can still get that build but you have to pay a few thousands pounds or dollars to get it. and the average person nowadays just wants something that plays music and its cheap on there pocket

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
I wouldn't buy anything new it's all designed to last 6 months, these clowns that spend £1000 on a mobile phone, i just don't get it lol, i don't even own a mobile

Last edited:

Wes125

Member (SA)
Aug 9, 2021
Uk
i worked at a recycling centre for 13 years and in that time i saw nearly every stereo that was ever made up to that point. and cd radio cassettes came in there like there was no tomorrow and every time it was the same old thing..the cd wont reed the disc. when they would bring it over to me i would say cd dont work. and they would look and say. how do u know that. so as ive said todays stuff has a short life. most of my late 70s early 80s boxes came from there which ive still got quite a few. but the ones ive thrown in the skips back then are now worth loads of money. and believe it or not people today are still throwing these 70s 80s boomboxes away. but dumps today know they are worth money due to looking on ebay. so they cost a lot more to buy from them. or they take them home and ebay them

Reactions: Radio raheem

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
i never buy things because there worth money though been in the game for 35 years always bought the good quality stuff because i like quality that's how i ended up with jvc m90's boxes like that, i agree i hate cd always have my friend even though in theory it is better than cassette...interesting that you worked for a recycling centre i have a friend that did that for about 15 years

Last edited:
Reactions: Wes125

H3NK3L

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2020
France
LCD display semi-solution (but easy)

I am sorry and this is not the place for it (I know)

I lately picked up a JVC PC-55 , needed a lot of cleaning, mainly sliders and buttons.... LCD was unreadable almost every single segment flickered....
The section about that (solving it) being closed : here is something that kindof worked for me : over a few days I sprayed contact cleaner alongside the connector cables and let it drip down and dry up....... now it s not back to fully working or anything...but.... the counter display works except for a flicker in the 1s number, PLAY, STOP, REC FF FW and the moving segments along with the arrow, the normal and dolby C, all segments for the reverse mode and the entire level-indicators are back to life now. It s not perfect....but it worked on mine without destroying or removing things.

If it can help anyone...
once again sorry for posting that here, if someone would be as kind as to move it to the appropriate (closed to replies) section...