JVC M90 didn't work cassette deck (photo coupler problem?)

brovKO

Jul 5, 2020
Ukraine
I see so many cracked wires and resistors in your images.
All of the testing you are trying to do with the components is pointless if the PCB still has problems.
Now I was working with a deck that was originally working and has no cracks. I managed to restore her work completely, which I am very happy)) She just started working. I rearranged the diodes D720 and D702 and the correct power supply was restored on the basis of the Q 712 and Q702 transistor. But now I need to buy similar diodes in order to return them to the second board. Which ones should you buy? I also need a Q710 motor driver for the second board, what is the analogue? Thanks!

kraftmatic

Member (SA)
Jun 12, 2012
Los Angeles, USA
Hey brovKO, keep at it, don't give up! Sounds like you might have to repair the PCB some more. But you will eventually solve the problem if you keep trying. Good luck!

Reactions: brovKO

brovKO

Jul 5, 2020
Ukraine
Hello! After several days of continuous and incredibly difficult work for me, I repaired the board with a crack. I replaced the transistors R720, R712, R711, R726, R728, R722, R747 and some more, I also restored several traces. I interrupted the printed transistors additionally with a sharp knife (so that there was no parallel resistance, as I was advised). Instead of a faulty Q710 motor driver, I installed a BC635 (I found information on the forum that this transistor is suitable).
After repeatedly checking the readings of all the replaced transistors and comparing them with the readings of the transistors from the working board, I started the deck. The solenoid began to click, the motor was spinning, and the photosensor was glowing, it's incredible!))
I just installed the board on the deck, connected everything and started testing. Playback works, pause and stop work. Rewinds work the same way. But when I press the play key, the deck starts playing, but the record LED turns on. If during playback I press the rewind key, then this LED turns off and rewind starts, when I release the rewind key, playback continues, while the LED does not light up anymore, but as soon as I press the play key again, the LED starts to glow again. In addition, it seems to me that the auto-search function for audio tracks does not work. To make it clearer, I shot a video and add a link to it.
I am also a little concerned that the 12 Volt Q712 regulator heats up very quickly to 115 degrees Celsius (240 Fahrenheit) while the deck is running, and I think it might get hotter if the deck is used for longer. It seems to me that this is too much. What is the way out of this situation? Is it possible that the regulator is defective? Although it produces 12 volts as expected. Can a cooling radiator be attached to it? Or is it better to make a replacement? Can BD139 replace Q712?

VIDEO JVC M90 deck testing

Attachments

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Make sure the photo sensor led is turning off after it does it's check.
Mine was staying on all the time.
It looks like the record led driver is in ic704 c.
Verify your readings are the same between both boards on that ic.
As far as the q712 transistor is concerned, I know they get hot but I would buy the original 2sd439 since they're cheap enough and easy to find.
My music search wasn't working, it turned out to be q506's legs were rotted away, I made a post about it with pics https://boomboxery.com/forum/threads/jvc-m90-mms-music-search-problem.30972/
Keep at it, you're close.

Last edited:
Reactions: brovKO

RosBaig

Jul 11, 2021
Victoria, Florida, USA
Hi...Exceptionally few boomboxes ever might truly coordinate any not too bad domestic deck. There were fair as well numerous holding back cost-cutting corners in boom boxes. Additionally, the heads weren't on a match with numerous domestic decks, indeed your essential two header. The specs will say that the boombox rivals a domestic deck, but I never found the sound quality to bear that out.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Hi...Exceptionally few boomboxes ever might truly coordinate any not too bad domestic deck. There were fair as well numerous holding back cost-cutting corners in boom boxes. Additionally, the heads weren't on a match with numerous domestic decks, indeed your essential two header. The specs will say that the boombox rivals a domestic deck, but I never found the sound quality to bear that out.
90% of boomboxes are not worth having imho, only the top 10% bare any fruit

reinforce

Feb 27, 2022
Austria
Hi everyone.
I am having auto stop problem with this JVC M90 deck. The hall effect sensor VHE610G seems defective.
Googling on the internet does not yield any result for this sensor. Need help with an alternative part?
Thank you