Just got caught speeding - whats my next step?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
baddboybill said:
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Last time my father was in the US on holidays, he got booked twice (at the same location) for driving on the wrong side of the road!! :lol: The motorcycle cops just wait outside the local tourist motel and wait for a dumb foreigner to pull onto the road the wrong way. :thumbsdown: He only ever got 10 metres max before they stop him! (thank goodness)

James.. :-)
Reminded me of National Lampoons European vacation and Clark Griswald driving on wrong side of road. Lol. :-)

Bad Boy Bill
He, he, he. I loved that movie: "Look kids, Big ben"! Pity the poms renamed it recently.

James.... :-)

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
When I was a teenager I got popped doing 93 MPH on I-93 in NH. The Trooper told me that "93" is the route number, not the speed limit. :lol:
He gave me a break with the ticket, but it was so long ago I can't remember how much it was.
I was also popped a several years ago in Orlando, FL for running a red light in a school zone, while making eye contact with an officer.
He asked, "Do you know why I pulled you over?"
I said "Yup," and he gave me a big break for being honest.
I've always found that honesty is the best policy. :yes:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
baddboybill said:
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Last time my father was in the US on holidays, he got booked twice (at the same location) for driving on the wrong side of the road!! :lol: The motorcycle cops just wait outside the local tourist motel and wait for a dumb foreigner to pull onto the road the wrong way. :thumbsdown: He only ever got 10 metres max before they stop him! (thank goodness)

Reminded me of National Lampoons European vacation and Clark Griswald driving on wrong side of road. Lol. :-)

Bad Boy Bill
He, he, he. I loved that movie: "Look kids, Big ben"! Pity the poms renamed it recently.

Big Ben is the name of the bell inside, they renamed the tower :-D

My fav scene in Euro Vacation was them driving around the round a bout for a full day and night :lol: :lol: :lol:
I had to learn how to drive on the other side wile in Japan, when I came home and tried to drive for the first time, I backed out of the driveway and froze! :-O I couldn't figure out which side was which, no cars on the street to indicate. I sat there for 5 minutes till someone drove by so I could figure it out :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
superlew said:
When I was a teenager I got popped doing 93 MPH on I-93 in NH. The Trooper told me that "93" is the route number, not the speed limit. :lol:
He gave me a break with the ticket, but it was so long ago I can't remember how much it was.
I was also popped a several years ago in Orlando, FL for running a red light in a school zone, while making eye contact with an officer.
The greatest differential in speed verses speed limit I ever got was a ticket for 75 in a 15 :-O :lol: :lol: I was 16 hauling a$$ in a parking lot behind a supermarket at 3am. I must have interrupted his nap :lol: :yes:

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
superlew said:
The greatest differential in speed verses speed limit I ever got was a ticket for 75 in a 15 :-O :lol: :lol: I was 16 hauling a$$ in a parking lot behind a supermarket at 3am. I must have interrupted his nap :lol: :yes:
1's and 7's can look very much alike. :lol:

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
baddboybill said:
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:

Bad Boy Bill

Big Ben is the name of the bell inside, they renamed the tower :-D

My fav scene in Euro Vacation was them driving around the round a bout for a full day and night :lol: :lol: :lol:
I had to learn how to drive on the other side wile in Japan, when I came home and tried to drive for the first time, I backed out of the driveway and froze! :-O I couldn't figure out which side was which, no cars on the street to indicate. I sat there for 5 minutes till someone drove by so I could figure it out :lol: :lol: :lol:
My favorite scene was clothes shopping ... Lol.....

Big Ben ;-)

Bad Boy Bill

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
ClaretBadger said:
lawyer has been contacted - and they advise me my local courthouse is tuff - and I have a 5% chance of getting let off

dammit :no:
Welcome to Texas! :-D

Oh, for the love of God, do NOT mention that you don't eat meat. :lol:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
ClaretBadger said:
when did we rename the Palace of Westminister clock tower :huh:

the bell has always been known as Big Ben
and it's always been cracked and "rings" flat
They renamed it at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. It's now names after her, the tower, not the bell :-D

Brutus442

Member (SA)
Jan 7, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Yikes CB!

85 is quite a substantial speed, regardless if you have an estimated %5 chance of success and the legal approach is too expensive you ould gamble a bit and try

1 He/She doesn't show for court
2 Like Reli said ask to see the calibration records before the hearing and training records of the officer (it worked for me in West Virginia). They couldn't provide it to me so they let me off :thumbsup:
3 Plea bargain just before the hearing if the officer shows.

Either way, chalk it up to a life lesson and slow down brother :yes:

Good luck!!!

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
CB --one good longshot idea -- :hmmm:

in florida my friends and FAMILY ( :dunce: :thumbsdown: :annoyed: :annoyed: )
spend their weekends ---cleaning up the beaches --instead of jail or fees or points etc etc

where you live --no beaches :surf:

but ask the jugge for " community service "
you will be tooling around in a city golf cart -- scooping trash off the public golf courses -
not really hard work -- sort of fun , actually ;-)

just volunteer for it -- you have nothing to lose

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Yes 85 is fast.especially In a 40.

I back in 2003' or so was clocked at 107 in a 55! :-O
I saw the officer at the top ofnthe hill and I pulled over immediately.
I just had tuned my 81' Z-28 and had just shifted into 3rd.gear and there
was also no one around me at all!!
He gave me a ticket that said careless driving.He somewhat understood
but I was still going to fast!! :nonono:
I went to court and got it reduced to excessive speed!
210.00 fine! :yes:
But nowadays if think I would be in trouble!! :hmmm: :-/

Yes speed is bad but when absolutely no one is around on a divided interstate
I'm still tempted at times to put the hammer down! :hmmm:

I can't afford those exorbant fines they charge nowadays!!

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
I was heading to Oklahoma with my family. My son Billy and I were in my 1988 red Pontiac Firebird Formula and there were 2 other vehicles with my family following.

It was about Midnight on I55 with 65 MPH speed limit. I was going about 72 and got pulled over.. Officer asked if I knew how fast I was going. I said... Sure about 72.... He then replied well the speed limit is 65... I said that I was sorry and that we were heading to go see my sick brother in hospital in Oklahoma.

So cop says ok he will give me a verbal warning then begins to question me about the car, like what year, what size motor and so on. I think to this day he only pulled me over to ask me about car!! HaHaHa. Lol

Bad Boy Bill

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
baddboybill said:
I was heading to Oklahoma with my family. My son Billy and I were in my 1988 red Pontiac Firebird Formula and there were 2 other vehicles with my family following.

It was about Midnight on I55 with 65 MPH speed limit. I was going about 72 and got pulled over.. Officer asked if I knew how fast I was going. I said... Sure about 72.... He then replied well the speed limit is 65... I said that I was sorry and that we were heading to go see my sick brother in hospital in Oklahoma.

So cop says ok he will give me a verbal warning then begins to question me about the car, like what year, what size motor and so on. I think to this day he only pulled me over to ask me about car!! HaHaHa. Lol

Bad Boy Bill
Similar story....cop pulls me over for speeding in my 1964 Chevelle SS....tells me I have the sweetest Chevelle he has ever seen. Tells me he has a 65, same color (white) but his was a four speed....THEN he wrote me a ticket for 65 in a 45 :thumbsdown: :lol: :lol:

ClaretBadger

Member (SA)
Nov 15, 2009
The Lone Star state
www.flickr.com
i'll do Defensive driving course if it's offered
I'll also do community service

just don't want a criminal record!

I think taking it to court and going with a lawyer is the way to go - rather than just accepting the offence and pleading guilty

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
ClaretBadger said:
i'll do Defensive driving course if it's offered
I'll also do community service

just don't want a criminal record!

I think taking it to court and going with a lawyer is the way to go - rather than just accepting the offence and pleading guilty
You'll come out spending way less money if you just go and accept the course (if offered). You will probably get away with paying only one "somewhat" lower amount.

If you take a lawyer and lose, you will have lawyer fees, ticket cost, additional court fees (for using up their precious time), and who knows what else. And more times than not, the court will side with the officer - sometimes when the officer doesn't even show up for the court date himself. :thumbsdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.