Jaycar Ghetto Blaster

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Transistorized said:
Was just looking at this and it is the same as the ION box at Best Buy. A little different placement of the VUs but most certainly the same internals

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ion-audio-boombox-with-am-fm-radio-silver/6347179.p?skuId=6347179
Bang on same maybe better looking? Looks like the front moulding is different same guts. As ION have released this it's a good indicator of the quality of the product.

the ION has built in batteries and Plastic Grills and price tag $139.99 on discount $69.99

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Odd they are using an old-school amp instead of a generic class C like everyone else

Photonicinductor

Jul 13, 2018
Maybe try some 4 ohm speakers? Although I doubt the amp is too fantastic so maybe not a good idea. And some acoustic wadding, the thing little bass (judging from what I heard testing it in store). And yes, I agree adding tweeters would benefit the sound quality greatly too.

nosync

Dec 10, 2020
USA
The recent Crosley CT201A-BK has the Jaycar shape but in black with black woofers. A good looker for a modern boombox, although I would swap the tuner label with the sister ION Street Rocker. I like the VUs at the bottom however.