Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
riker1068 said:
Wow. That 3090 looks really small in comparison to the M90
it's about the same size as an m70 dude

Brutus442 said:
I'm surprised that you're not happy with the upgrade,Reno The speakers seem to be the common weakness with these boxes. The speakers just don"t have the sound to back up the powerful amp on them.
the originals can't cope as well geoff but they just sound better imho

Brutus442

Member (SA)
Jan 7, 2012
Toronto, Canada
riker1068 said:
Wow. That 3090 looks really small in comparison to the M90
It is surprising how big the M-90 really is in comparison. TBH, the Sony CFS-99 also shocked me as far as it's dimensions go..

baddboybill said:
Very nice!!!
Thanks Bill!

stereomad said:
Nice boxes......like the candle
Thanks Lee. It's the fav in the pile for me...purely sentimental of course but it does have a charm about it.

PostEnder

Member (SA)
Nov 21, 2012
Southeastern U.S.A.
Brutus442 said:
...but as the speed of "life" has ebbed, I can finally jump back into this wonderful hobby and the people who make it that way. I spent the morning pulling out my boomboxes that have sat on shelves for almost a year with the exception of one. A Sony CFS-99. I use that often...

Here's my annual therapy session in photos. Please note any dust or specs on these boxes (or background) was added in photoshop and should be ignored. (If you believe this, I have some ocean-front property for sale in Arizona.) Also note my wife was away for the weekend and thus could pull apart the basement for this shoot without facing the tsunami of grief associated with it. No box was harmed in the making of this post!

First up the JVC twins...PC-55 and PC-550. Both have fully functioning displays. The 550 still has it's original bulbs going. I replaced the 55's about 5 years ago.
IMG_1733.JPG
IMG_1737.JPG

Next up the JVC M-90 (complete with the Fatdog cling) and a personal fav of mine (thanks to a spectacular member here) the 3090 EN in Black. Please note the live snowstorm on the TV display. Who says analog TV is dead?
IMG_1741.JPG
IMG_1743.JPG
IMG_1744.JPG

Now up is another box I lusted after for years and thanks to yet another member here, beautiful specimen was located very close to home. I secured a second box for parts but found out later that it works as well (except the deck). These are the Pioneer SK-95's. I did have a SK-71 given to me but I repaired it and returned to the owner for sentimental reasons. Stunning LED's on these babies..
IMG_1749.JPG
IMG_1751.JPG

Now my Sony triplets CFS-99, CF-45 and CFS-5L. The 99 was a box I pined for a long time and again a Boomboxery member came through BIG time half way around the globe! Members here are simply the best!
IMG_1755.JPG
IMG_1757.JPG
IMG_1756.JPG

Next up was a few that were WAY back in storage so I'm resorting to some older photos...
A Prosonic PQR-9850
IMG_1123.JPG
And my most cherished boombox in my collection. A crappy old Candle JTR 1249. My first and greatest boomer...It eats tapes, sounds like a 1970's rotary phone and did really give me street cred but she's the best workhorse I've owned.
IMG_1133.JPG

Boy it felt good to post something again! I must get caught up now....
Gawrsh, Brutus442, you've got some interesting stereos on display here. That ProSonic PQR-9850 looks as respectably squared as ever, blue tuner dial and all. And do the handles of those Pioneer SK-95s have built-in microphones at the ends of their tops? (As if the handles having those atypically octagonal swivel bases weren't enough.) Would that more of them (like that Sony CFS-99) tuned shortwave. (That '99 is never seen with SW bands, is it? :hmmm:) But at least that archetypal Candle and that "executive ready" '9850 put in a word or two for "international DX'ing."

Enjoy more good cassette music with them. Maybe Miklós Rózsa collections?

Brutus442

Member (SA)
Jan 7, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Thanks PostEnder!

Indeed that 9850 is a prototypical 80's square box. It's got a few aka's out there (Trident, Viking, Eatons to name a few) and it's sound is so so but is a simple box that has good looks.

The Pioneer SK series has the mics built into their handles and it was quite a departure from the standard upper corner mics seen in many other designs. The Pioneer seem elegant in it's styling and at low volumes I quite enjoy the sound. It's not goiing to shake the earth like the big boys but it's a high quality boomer beneath it's exterior.

The CFS-99 is a daily user for me. I don't often use it's radio as it has the Japanese FM bandwidth only (overseas box) but it's cassette deck gets lots of mileage.

The Candle is my favorite of them all. It's a unique design and lovely LED's gave this box some character. This radio will NEVER leave my collection. It's sentimental value is too high. This boomer and I have been joined at the "ear" since I was about 12.

Glad you enjoyed the collection!

P.S. No Miklós Rózsa but plenty rock and roll, and for soundtracks to movies, I go to Vangelis. Great music to study or read by