It ain't easy.... being GZ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
I'm whispering but it's not listening!
I think the balance pot is hosed. If it's in the center position or anywhere on the left side and I leave it there for a while, it will eventually start to pop and make noises. It also makes a whooshing noise as you turn it back and forth on most of the left side.

I took it apart again and applied Deoxit FaderGrease and bent the contacts up a bit, and it's still doing it. After I cleaned it I inspected it under high magnification and light, and the carbon tracks actually looked pretty good, so it must be something you can't see.

Joe, want to send me the other board? :-)

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Time for some more pics, whaddaya say?
Cap work on the amp board, balance and volume pot work, before/after on the stereo mode switch, and some experimenting on a leaner version of the dial light LED conversion. I hope you like white!

Superduper

Member (SA)
So that's what this thread is about, lol. I thought this was GZ's feedback page and with my brief visits here and already knowing that greg is a good guy, didn't click on it until I noticed that this thread was growing (and with GZ himself posting) that made me curious. Great job Eric.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Wow thanks for the kind words guys (and gals :-D )
On a positive note, the balance pots are both fine, although they both "woosh" on the right side, which is why I was so keyed in on them. Turns out the scratching was coming from the aux mode switch! Both boards will be cleaned.

GZ if you want I can try and fix your dial window, I've got one too that has cracks and I've been thinking it might be possible to seal them if I could find a way to limit where the solvent goes. I'm thinking a piece of tape behind the crack, and completely tape the top with a slit barely wider than the crack so you can run a needle bottle of the stuff at high pressure along the crack.

Sounds a bit dicey so I haven't tried it yet, doesn't seem anyone here's tried it.... :hmmm:

Superduper

Member (SA)
caution said:
GZ if you want I can try and fix your dial window, I've got one too that has cracks and I've been thinking it might be possible to seal them if I could find a way to limit where the solvent goes. I'm thinking a piece of tape behind the crack, and completely tape the top with a slit barely wider than the crack so you can run a needle bottle of the stuff at high pressure along the crack.

Sounds a bit dicey so I haven't tried it yet, doesn't seem anyone here's tried it.... :hmmm:
Forget about the tape. Once that thin waterlike solvent is introduced, it will wick all the way through and into the tape, which will then become a permanet part of the window. Even if you could get the solvent in there without it migrating to areas you don't want, the crack is old and probably already stained within the crack. Since you likely can't wash off the stain, even if the solvent could manage to glue back the crack, the stain probably will still be visible. Might be better off going to tap plastics and seeing if they can make something up that might work. But first things first, tap plastics sell needle hypodermics for dispensing acrylic solvent, but even with that needle, there is no way to get it ONLY into the crack without any on the flat part of the window. It takes a ton of skill just to get it only along the seam of two parts to be glued without the solvent spurting off like an out of control, over-watered puppy.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Yeah, I bought a couple pieces of clear acrylic at Goodwill today and it doesn't get under the tape at all but you're right about the not working part, it won't get into the crack one bit. Even creating an opening on both sides didn't work.

TAP turned me away because it was injection molded, I was sort of surprised they didn't even want to try to make me something. It's not that complex of a part, maybe I'll spec it and have them make pieces I can weld together.

Status
Not open for further replies.