Issue with Telefunken Hifi Studio 1 power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spatterlight

Apr 7, 2011
Gotcha, thanks for the pics guys. I understand it's real hard doing tech support from a distance, but is there anything you can think of to try before I take this thing to a repair shop?

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
Hell's bells! My meters now aren't working on my good one! :w00t: :lol: Oh well, something to add to the list of tasks... :-/

I know to a lot this will sound wierd...

Take one of the fuses out of the "A" position. DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT PUT IT IN THE "B" (220v) POSITION. Power it up..., if you have a DIN cable to RCA, play something using that through the AUX/TAPE input on the back. Note what happens. The repeat for the other "A" position. This is about as simple a check as it can get. Like you noted, you'll likely take this to a repair shop. But we can get some clues...

Let us know. Mine did operate with a single fuse, not as strong with both, but it did work. (When I got it, being from Germany of course, it had one fuse. So I had to buy some. I won't go into the machinations of why it still worked. Norm and a few others here do a better job of blistering the non-techie brains with that stuff. :lol: My dad was a tech for over forty years and had me by his side many days and summers. :-D)

spatterlight

Apr 7, 2011
The electronics shop isn't open until tomorrow... for the time being, I have a 12V, 2A adapter that fits the jack, though it's a little loose. Will 2 amps hurt the power supply? (For that matter, will a loose jack hurt the power supply, like if it wiggled and the sleeve broke contact while the tip was still drawing charge?)

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
spatterlight said:
The electronics shop isn't open until tomorrow... for the time being, I have a 12V, 2A adapter that fits the jack, though it's a little loose. Will 2 amps hurt the power supply? (For that matter, will a loose jack hurt the power supply, like if it wiggled and the sleeve broke contact while the tip was still drawing charge?)

Heck if you've got two amps you're doing great! :-D

Now as far as the power supply and the loose jack, I myself would just leave it be. No need to waste as perfectly good power pack by shorting it out and possibly causing damage to the box. :no:

I can understand your hunger to get this thing going, but look at it like this. It may not be as satisfying or rewarding as sex, but like sex, it's so much better when the moment is right with no issues to concern with...like sufficient power. :lol:

You'll be happier in the long run. Wait 'til tommorow, get the cord, and go from there. :yes:

spatterlight

Apr 7, 2011
Hi again. I finally tracked down a male 5-pin DIN cable from an old keyboard adapter and spliced a passable patch cord with some spare audio cables from my box. I plugged the Telefunken into the wall and tried the line in function with one fuse on the right, with one fuse on the left, and with both fuses in. All three times the result was the same: it plays very quietly (if I max out the volume it's about as loud as laptop speakers at a normal level) and just out of one speaker. When I was running it on batteries, both speakers worked completely fine. Any thoughts? Thanks.

joeladamkrueger

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2011
But for 220 V it should just be one fuse in the middle slot, right? I replaced that fuse, it turned on for a second then the fuse burned... :thumbsdown: What's the most likely cause for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.