Is this a deal breaker? Is this corrosion in the battery compartment bad?

cjacek

Mar 6, 2024
Canada
Hi,
I have an opportunity to pick up a Realistic 14-773 boombox for cheap, like 50 bucks, locally. It was one of their top models back in the early 80's, made in Japan. Fairly heavy, lots of features. Everything works the seller tested it and also from pics looks all complete, in very good shape. I asked him if there are any previous battery leaks or corrosion in the battery compartment. The guy sent me a photo. It's not super clean but not all that bad from what I can tell. There are some signs of dried up leakage on the bottom plastic part and some on one of the terminals, not overly bad. What do you think? Is this a deal breaker or could this be cleaned up? Much thanks for your replies.

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
It depends on how bad the corrosion is on the Battery Terminals, Usually is just surface Corrosion and you can clean it off and it should be ok. just make sure you clean it properly though to make sure when you put batteries in it, they make a good contact. most people don't even take these radios out anymore so if you like it, i'd just buy it anyway. What can You get for $50 bucks these days anyway under Bidenomics.

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
I agree with Gman, if the contacts and/or springs are rotted away and you plan on using it with batteries, that can be a deal breaker.
Corrosion on the plastic can (usually) be cleaned pretty easily.
Light acid on the springs and contacts can (usually) be cleaned with a brass or wire brush.
I've had a few boxes where the springs were completely rotted away and had to be replaced.
It's hard for someone who hasn't seen it or pictures of it to tell you if it's a deal breaker or not.

cjacek

Mar 6, 2024
Canada
Thanks very much for all the replies., sorry forgot to attach a photo of the battery compartment to this post. Here it is:realistic.jpg

Spax

Member (SA)
Oct 9, 2023
SWUK
Damn, I've got boxes that would kill for coil spring terminals like that!

Might be worth inspecting that C7 plug, looks like the moulding is coming away from the wire, you don't want a mains shock from that.

Reactions: cjacek and floyd

cjacek

Mar 6, 2024
Canada
Yes, I will inspect that plug (thanks for the heads up), and will post photos of the unit once I receive it. Thanks guys.

Reactions: Spax