Introducing my huge Clairtone 7979 and Realistic 15-771 (AKA Sony CF-515s)

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Nice work getting everything fixed. The front decal isn't too bad either!

mancardo

Member (SA)
Jun 8, 2012
Goodyear, AZ U.S.
bellarmine said:
Hello everyone,

Been a while since my last post, been busy with Spring chores. It looks like Spring has FINALLY gotten here, it was really starting to get me down near the end.... :yes: I thought last year's Spring was late, I've got a movie of me driving my boat around last April 13th commenting how some ice was still left. This year the lake was still completely covered 2 weeks later than that, boy am I glad it's over! It's sure been a brutal winter, that's the word for it. My Dad actually said he has never seen a winter with so much snow before, and he's been here over 30 years. At least it's always nice and warm with our woodstove, we don't have to abandon house if the power goes out, can cook and save thousands in electricity too. It's now 65F outside, really enjoying it after all that lol.

Anyways, latest update on my Clairtone 7979 repair work: I received a new replacement SCR for the Autostop system a while back, installed it and that's fixed, so now the tape deck is 100% operational, works great! See the pics of the new SCR in a bag and installed, beside my homemade heatsink for the motor Transistor I replaced. I've played over a dozen tapes in it, autostop works everytime.

I've also got the missing aplique panel around the cassette door done, pretty good job if I say so myself! Started with a photo of Hemiguy's front panel (thanks Hemiguy!), cleaned it up, tweaked it, printed it out a couple times (see 1st attempt, close), added a few personal touches - color logo, black Auto Search text, and printed this final copy, all sized perfect. See what you think, can hardly tell the difference, even the color is close, my Dad's color laser does a nice job, and the ink won't run if it gets wet..... :-D

I've included the jpeg image of all my hard work inside a ZIP file for anyone who wants it - I'm probably the only one missing this aplique lol (see smaller preview image). Be sure to print it out with EXACTLY the settings shown below, so it prints at the right size (see last picture). I'm afraid Windows Paint won't do, use Photoshop, or Faststone Image Viewer, great freeware program (http://www.faststone.org)! Might have to trim the bottom and right sides very slightly, all the holes are spot on, enjoy!

Width: 7.93 inches / 2379 pixels
Height: 5.4 inches / 1620 pixels
Resolution: 300 dpi (dots per inch)

Cheers! :hooray:

Bellarmine

00-New SCR for AutoStop.jpg
00-SCR Installed (bigger and better than orig).jpg
01-Aplique Attempt 1.JPG
02-In Progress.JPG
03-Clairtone 7979 Aplique Finished!!.JPG
04-Close up (pretty good match - notice color logo!!).JPG
Clairtone 7979 Aplique panel small ver.jpg

Aplique ZIP File:
Clairtone 7979 Aplique panel.zip

Clairtone 7979 Aplique print settings.png
Nice job man! :thumbsup:

bellarmine

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2014
Ontario Canada
blu_fuz said:
Nice work getting everything fixed. The front decal isn't too bad either!
riker1068 said:
That would look good on my amp stand :rock:
mancardo said:
Nice job man! :thumbsup:
Thanks Blu, Riker and mancardo, much appreciated! Yes, that decal was fun to make, and so much more fun to see once I stuck it on, no-one ever notices it's a printout unless I point it out. Also I learned a lot repairing the cassette deck, makes it mean a lot more to me than if it had just worked at the beginning.

Also Vintage Man, you're welcome for the help, anytime.

Cheers! Bellarmine

Newclairtone7980

Member (SA)
Oct 15, 2017
ontario
bellarmine said:
Hi Everyone,

Quick update, using a schematic I managed to debug and repair my Autostop circuit!

Found a bad SCR controlling the solenoid, ordered a new part on eBay should arrive any day now.

See the pic of the circuit board and all the parts I've replaced to fix the motor and auto-stop circuits. I made two simple scheamtics for the motor and auto-stop circuits, if anyone needs them let me know.

Also, check out this pic I found of 14 Sharp 777s in a row, boy nice box but certainly NOT rare lol! I found a seller on eBay who has sold 50 - 777's in the past year, averaging $600 each, several for over a thousand (!), and that's just a quarter of his feedback! Wonder where he's gotten them all from, it's like finding a few hundred running used 1960 Ford Thunderbirds, and selling them off - I mean those boxes are 35 years old, where have they been bouncing around all these years...??

Cheers, :hooray:

Bellarmine

Clairtone 7979 Cassette PCB + notes.jpg
BOOMSHARP 777 MADNESS.jpg
hi where is the part to turn the tape speed faster on this boombox

Newclairtone7980

Member (SA)
Oct 15, 2017
ontario
hi there got mine all working tape plays records rewinds fast forwards music search works auto stop works I put new tape belt on it how do you adjust the speed on this boombox plays a bit slow ???

bellarmine

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2014
Ontario Canada
Newclairtone7980 said:
hi there got mine all working tape plays records rewinds fast forwards music search works auto stop works I put new tape belt on it how do you adjust the speed on this boombox plays a bit slow ???
Just saw these now, I got no notifications for some reason. Sent you a PM. Cheers! Bellarmine.