If you own a C100-F you need to read this (Clack of Death)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
WOW! That's great news. The value of your Trident just went up. There are lots of C100 owners looking for a lower deck. I love this about boomboxes. Many years later we are discovering so many identical share components. It just goes to show why not throwing away any vintage portable is a good idea. It very well contains within its chassis rare hard to find parts that will work on many different boxes :-)

Thanks JVC Floyd. I may have to start looking for one of these for parts if needed.

Since it has been a while from making this repair I will say (while knocking on wood) that it is still playing just fine :-) At the very least if anyone has this issue and you can find a longer crew and slightly drill out that rocker making it two pieces and the moon and stars line up just perfectly, the deck will play again for many more tapes :-)

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
No problem, with these the small gold screw that holds the rocker arm in place loosens and you can't tighten it down and that causes deflection of the rocker arm and friction at the base.
I'm probably going to scrap this box because almost nothing works anymore lol. When I do you can have the deck minus the door and the motor. The motor pulley broke and im tired of working on it.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
JVC Floyd said:
No problem, with these the small gold screw that holds the rocker arm in place loosens and you can't tighten it down and that causes deflection of the rocker arm and friction at the base.
I'm probably going to scrap this box because almost nothing works anymore lol. When I do you can have the deck minus the door and the motor. The motor pulley broke and im tired of working on it.
Much appreciated. Sorry to hear about the issues you have been experiencing. If I had an extra motor pulley I'd definitely give it to you.

When I saw the plastic spindle shaft had cracked on mine my heart sank. I have a backup plan so I am as prepared as can be for this when the final day comes.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Yeah and that motor pulley is a motherfucker to replace because of the size and shape of it. I give up but the trident still works on line in and had a good strong amp so I'm just going to do a smartphone mod where the deck goes , I hate throwing anything away so I'll just go with what works instead of trashing it . like you said too many valuable parts to toss in the garbage.

You can have all the deck parts except the door cover and the motor.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Wanted to reply back to this thread. I use my box almost daily and so far (knock on wood) it still seems to trucking along. My repair has held up well thus so far.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Cool because I have those spare deck parts taken out for you . basically its the whole deck minus the deck keys the motor and the door assembly.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
I appreciate that JVC Floyd. It's a big relief for me you have those spare parts because parts are more than half the battle. When I break something I do it right...lol. Most of the black plastic traces that link various post parts together on the back of the metal deck frame are cracked on this one. It's almost as if the deck frame and the plastic have expanded and shrunk many times over the years until the plastic finally just cracked. Never actually seen this before. Fortunately, enough structure is there for a possible (and hopeful) many years of reliable operation. If I were to need the deck I'd probably need the whole frame. I hope it never comes to this because that's a LOT of work. If I can patch it that's what I'll try to keep doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.