I need help purchasing a boombox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
I wouldn't worry about the cost of repairs then. Just ask things like does the FM tuner work, does the stereo light stay locked, and is the sound equal left and right.

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
Chexout said:
Ahh okay! I wasn't sure if you were willing to even take it apart. I didn't want to discourage you, but the old classics all seem to eventually need some TLC.

Chances are you should be able to avoid having to bring it in for hardcore repairs if it's in good general condition. Typical things that pop up are usually repairable by anyone with some time and patience, like worn out belts, dirty switches and pots, burnt out bulbs and fuses, or cosmetic repairs for parts that cracked or snapped off.
baddboybill said:
In all honesty if you are thinking about 80’s box and expect to do some repairs or restoration for fun then I suggest to start with simple and cheap to learn. Panasonic RX 4900 and low 5010’s are easy and cheap to work on and if you mess up your not out high cost. This way you can actually learn about the hobby.
But if all your looking for is nice restored unit that’s fine too but as Eric mentioned they can give issues down road even after restoration. ;-)
Thanks for the advice. would you consider it wise to buy something cheap like the CFS-45 and buy a second one for parts instead? I'm not too familiar with how much I would be spending to maintain a box :dunce:
Have we gone full circle? Lol Back on the CFS-45. Oh well if it’s available and it’s not expensive then....50 bucks tops.

Chexout

Member (SA)
Oct 31, 2017
USA, MN
Hisrudeness said:
Ahh okay! I wasn't sure if you were willing to even take it apart. I didn't want to discourage you, but the old classics all seem to eventually need some TLC.

Chances are you should be able to avoid having to bring it in for hardcore repairs if it's in good general condition. Typical things that pop up are usually repairable by anyone with some time and patience, like worn out belts, dirty switches and pots, burnt out bulbs and fuses, or cosmetic repairs for parts that cracked or snapped off.
baddboybill said:
In all honesty if you are thinking about 80’s box and expect to do some repairs or restoration for fun then I suggest to start with simple and cheap to learn. Panasonic RX 4900 and low 5010’s are easy and cheap to work on and if you mess up your not out high cost. This way you can actually learn about the hobby.
But if all your looking for is nice restored unit that’s fine too but as Eric mentioned they can give issues down road even after restoration. ;-)
Thanks for the advice. would you consider it wise to buy something cheap like the CFS-45 and buy a second one for parts instead? I'm not too familiar with how much I would be spending to maintain a box :dunce:
Have we gone full circle? Lol Back on the CFS-45. Oh well if it’s available and it’s not expensive then....50 bucks tops.

Im curious does sound quality improve noticeably as the price goes up or are you paying for functions instead?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Price is based on a combination of rarity, looks, size, build quality, sound quality, and pop culture

Everyone places different importance on each of those factors

Chexout

Member (SA)
Oct 31, 2017
USA, MN
Reli said:
Price is based on a combination of rarity, looks, size, build quality, sound quality, and pop culture

Everyone places different importance on each of those factors
I see, that would make sense the most sense ;-)

Chexout

Member (SA)
Oct 31, 2017
USA, MN
Thanks for the suggestions everyone I really appreciate it.
So my plan is to get something a bit cheaper than the ones you guys have suggested just so I know what I really want in a box before investing a lot of money.
I want something small and portable like CFS-45 but also want something with a bit more power and better sound quality while being under $100, what would you guys suggest? :huh:

(sorry if Im asking too many questions)

Chexout

Member (SA)
Oct 31, 2017
USA, MN
After reviewing the boxes Reli suggested (and browsing through eBay) I think I'm gonna go with the Panasonic RX-FM40 XBS
it is small and portable
fairly common so not very expensive
and seems to have pretty good sound quality

is there anything else I should know before I purchase?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Chexout said:
After reviewing the boxes Reli suggested (and browsing through eBay) I think I'm gonna go with the Panasonic RX-FM40 XBS
it is small and portable

I have one I could sell you. But those models don't have any input jacks, so you wouldn't be able to connect your phone or iPod to it.

Chexout

Member (SA)
Oct 31, 2017
USA, MN
Reli said:
it is small and portable

I have one I could sell you. But those models don't have any input jacks, so you wouldn't be able to connect your phone or iPod to it.
Bummer :bang: is there anything similar to the RX-FM40 with input jacks? if not, whats your personal opinion on the box?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Chexout said:
it is small and portable

Bummer :bang: is there anything similar to the RX-FM40 with input jacks? if not, whats your personal opinion on the box?

There's lots of "minis" with input jacks. The RX-FM40 isn't that special, it simply has a tiny bit more bass than the typical "mini". The only reason I mentioned it was because you can find one on Ebay every week and they sell for only $30-40, which is a good deal.

Chexout

Member (SA)
Oct 31, 2017
USA, MN
Reli said:
it is small and portable

There's lots of "minis" with input jacks. The RX-FM40 isn't that special, it simply has a tiny bit more bass than the typical "mini". The only reason I mentioned it was because you can find one on Ebay every week and they sell for only $30-40, which is a good deal.

Yeah the availability is kinda what appealed to me
what seems like a better option now is probably an Aiwa cs-200 so thats what I will probably end up going with

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
I would have recommended a Magnavox D8443 because of nice size, coolness, pretty decent sound and plenty of them out there. But the negative is the line in sux. Also I have a line on one I could get and restore for ya.

Chexout

Member (SA)
Oct 31, 2017
USA, MN
baddboybill said:
I would have recommended a Magnavox D8443 because of nice size, coolness, pretty decent sound and plenty of them out there. But the negative is the line in sux. Also I have a line on one I could get and restore for ya.
Its funny you should mention that specific box because I checked craigslist the other day and someone close to me is selling one for like $80
the downside is that the cassette player is broken and radio indicator is stuck. what would you have to say about that?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Those tape decks are problematic. Sometimes a plastic gear inside the tape deck breaks. Plus like Bill said, the Line inputs are crap, their signal strength is all wrong, even if you use an attenuator.

I would not recommend it

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Chexout said:
Its funny you should mention that specific box because I checked craigslist the other day and someone close to me is selling one for like $80
the downside is that the cassette player is broken and radio indicator is stuck. what would you have to say about that?
The one that I know is for sale is about $25. Ok shape but it needs deck gear. I usually get gear from mono box to restore it. But then like I said line in is not good.

bbox

Member (SA)
Aug 18, 2017
If you look at ebay.com now I guess the best quality vs. price purchase would be JVC PC-55, between $300-$500. Yes, It doesn't look like JVC M90, however internally electronic IC components and 3 motor tape wise, it is equal or better then JVC M90. Just be sure you get it in good condition because fixing it could be a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.