:-( HUGE CRASH in the boom room :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
I didn't know of your masterful restoration of the GF 8989 (shame on me...) :dunce: It's a top-notch job, hat off! :clap:
But it's good to read that hisrudeness has a back cover for your 950. A problems exists in order to be solved, the say in the far east. Case in point, the solution is named after this wonderful forum :-)

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Damn hooks! They say it can support 15Lbs, 20Lbs and so on. It is all BS. So sad to see things happen like this. Hopefully Chris will fix it like new! Luckily only the rear cover is smashed. Front would have been hard to find. Good luck with the repair. Remove any pics hanging like that around the house.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
The hook can probably support the claimed weight but only if fixed to a solid surface. In this case, the hook was fixed to paint or other covering to the wall surface so, if a material covering the wall has a lesser support weight/adhesive specification, then this would be the weak link compromising the hook support specification. In other words, the hook did it's job but the wall covering, sadly, didn't.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
trippy1313 said:
Internals and front is all good huh? Minus the crack on the base? I'm sure you already looked right away huh?
To be honest, I was sick to my stomach, I haven't even plugged it in to test :-/

samovar said:
I didn't know of your masterful restoration of the GF 8989 (shame on me...) :dunce: It's a top-notch job, hat off! :clap:
But it's good to read that hisrudeness has a back cover for your 950. A problems exists in order to be solved, the say in the far east. Case in point, the solution is named after this wonderful forum :-)
Thanks Sal....that was a lot of work. If I remember correctly, I only paid $70 for that radio :cool:

Boomboy said:
bugger .. hope its fixable
Thanks Boomboy!

BoomboxLover48 said:
Damn hooks! They say it can support 15Lbs, 20Lbs and so on. It is all BS. So sad to see things happen like this. Hopefully Chris will fix it like new! Luckily only the rear cover is smashed. Front would have been hard to find. Good luck with the repair. Remove any pics hanging like that around the house.
Yeah, I will be finding another location to hang that picture. NOT over radios.

MyOhMy said:
The hook can probably support the claimed weight but only if fixed to a solid surface. In this case, the hook was fixed to paint or other covering to the wall surface so, if a material covering the wall has a lesser support weight/adhesive specification, then this would be the weak link compromising the hook support specification. In other words, the hook did it's job but the wall covering, sadly, didn't.
I agree AND if I would have used it in conjunction with some other "Sticky / Velcro" 3M hangers, like I thought of doing (but though, that's just over kill) this wouldn't have happened!

Brutus442

Member (SA)
Jan 7, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Jeez Chris this is terrible. I could only imagine the horror of hearing the noise and then to suddenly walk into the damage. Heartbroken would be my first emotion.

If this thread serves one purpose, it's that maybe we should all re-evaluate how we store/ display our boxes and take note of what's "attached" to the walls and ceilings above them. I'm heading downstairs right now and relocating my picture frames.

Chris I hope the 950 gets her back fixed. :yes:

Squablow

Member (SA)
That's a bummer for sure. Oddly enough, I have recently had a few of those style of hangers fail in the same way, they stayed up for a year or two and worked very nice to display some midcentury metal trays but eventually fell off, taking some paint/plaster with them. I've decided to drill a hole in the trays when they are re-hung so I can use a nail, which is what I was trying to avoid.

A masonry drill bit, and a plastic drywall style anchor with a screw is probably a better solution to hanging up that poster. I know that's not much help now but I feel for you, same **** happened to me.

I've got a pretty tall stack of boxes myself and it makes me nervous too, but they look so good displayed that way!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Brutus442 said:
Jeez Chris this is terrible. I could only imagine the horror of hearing the noise and then to suddenly walk into the damage. Heartbroken would be my first emotion.

If this thread serves one purpose, it's that maybe we should all re-evaluate how we store/ display our boxes and take note of what's "attached" to the walls and ceilings above them. I'm heading downstairs right now and relocating my picture frames.

Chris I hope the 950 gets her back fixed. :yes:
It sounded like glass shattering. It's that first millisecond where your brain try's to flash "What is glass behind me". Believe me, this poster will find another wall.

Squablow said:
That's a bummer for sure. Oddly enough, I have recently had a few of those style of hangers fail in the same way, they stayed up for a year or two and worked very nice to display some midcentury metal trays but eventually fell off, taking some paint/plaster with them. I've decided to drill a hole in the trays when they are re-hung so I can use a nail, which is what I was trying to avoid.

A masonry drill bit, and a plastic drywall style anchor with a screw is probably a better solution to hanging up that poster. I know that's not much help now but I feel for you, same shiat happened to me.

I've got a pretty tall stack of boxes myself and it makes me nervous too, but they look so good displayed that way!
I think I'll be rehanging the other pictures in the house. I was trying to not drill holes in the walls because we are renting, but at this rate, what ever our deposit it, I'll just pay it. It will cost me me it radios! :thumbsdown:

Superduper

Member (SA)
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
If the 945 case is the same, I am in business.
Chris, the 945 case, I'm pretty sure can be swapped. I think I had a spare 945/950 back case one at one time but tossed it to save room.

Boombox stacked walls look really cool, but I have never myself stacked a wall. First the large black units usually at or near the bottom typically have the lightest/thinnest cases and I am simply too paranoid for fear of exactly what has happened here, especially with how clumsy I am nowadays. If I ever do stack a wall, it would only for a moment to snap a photo and them everything gets their own space, or they are boxed up.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
ralrein1 said:
Nothin' worse than when a box comes a tumbling down.So sorry to see that Chris. I wish you all the best in the upcoming repairs on this one. I hope in the end its made better than when you got it. It most likely will.
Thanks R1, I want to open the box up and have a look before I plug it in. I don;t want it going up in flames to add to the damage. Once I get my stomach back, I will.

Superduper said:
If the 945 case is the same, I am in business.
Chris, the 945 case, I'm pretty sure can be swapped. I think I had a spare 945/950 back case one at one time but tossed it to save room.

Boombox stacked walls look really cool, but I have never myself stacked a wall. First the large black units usually at or near the bottom typically have the lightest/thinnest cases and I am simply too paranoid for fear of exactly what has happened here, especially with how clumsy I am nowadays. If I ever do stack a wall, it would only for a moment to snap a photo and them everything gets their own space, or they are boxed up.
Yeah, stacking can be an issue, I'll be ordering more shelves soon. But for now, that's they way they are.

Thanks for the info on the rear case. I think I will take Hisrudeness' offer on that rear 954 case. She will be better than ever! Especially with those new aluminum knobs coming!

panabox1 said:
Oh no. So sorry this happened.
Thanks P1!

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
So sorry Chris,I've had 2 mishaps from stacking!
I had my GF-9797 tuner glass crack from a fall and a Aiwa 660 get a crack near the handle from a fall. That's why I was so happy to get a rack 5 shelf.
Still need another.
You'll find a replacement back and I'm sure it will boom again!!😎

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Chis, you weren't kidding I just about **** my pants. Never a easy thing to go through. I ain't mad at ya.

So, I do have another 950 whole and complete with a cassette deck not working. You saw my post from this weekend and needed to put together a few more funds...... Would you rather buy another whole 950 or? Either way, you will get it back together.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Ghettoboom767 said:
So sorry Chris,I've had 2 mishaps from stacking!
I had my GF-9797 tuner glass crack from a fall and a Aiwa 660 get a crack near the handle from a fall. That's why I was so happy to get a rack 5 shelf.
Still need another.
You'll find a replacement back and I'm sure it will boom again!!
Yep, looking at shelving right now! Got to remedy this problem!

caution said:
Man that sucks Chris. I don't trust those adhesive hooks for more than a dish cloth!
I rehung the poster on a different wall, with nothing under it, using 5x time recommended adhesive strips!

blu_fuz said:
Chis, you weren't kidding I just about shiat my pants. Never a easy thing to go through. I ain't mad at ya.

So, I do have another 950 whole and complete with a cassette deck not working. You saw my post from this weekend and needed to put together a few more funds...... Would you rather buy another whole 950 or? Either way, you will get it back together.
I'm sure is was a shocker to see. Sorry bro. Let me have a look at the 945 back case and I'll let you know. PM me if you can with details any way. Thanks man

Status
Not open for further replies.