HOLY FARKING HELL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
Superduper said:
I've already spent too many brain cells trying to figure this dude out. I'll save my few remaining brain cells to troubleshoot boomboxes instead and leave the psychoanalyzing and psyche deciphering to you guys with more experience with him. I'm moving on and not gonna worry another second about him.... life is toooo short.
Probably a smart move, this guy isn't worth it. :nonono:
I don't get worked up over him anymore I just shake my head and laugh like hell and his madness then thank my lucky stars I'm not him. :-)

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
tmlfan said:
can someone explain why these are so valuable
In genera, metal tapes as a whole have a lower noise floor and can take higher signal levels without distorting than Chrome or Normal tapes. And The MA-R represents what is basically "THE" first real reference standard audio cassette. The metal frame makes the shell much heavier and thereby helps minimize vibration and stabilize tape path, and the quality of the actual magnetic tape is absolute top shelf. If' you'd ever heard one of these recorded on a top-quality deck, you'd instantly know what all the fuss is about.

IMHO, they are total overkill for boomboxes.

I have a handful of these and a few examples of most of the other super-metals (like the Maxell Vertex, Sony Super Metal Master, Denon MX-G and TDK"s later MA-XG) and have tested them on high end Nakamichi decks. And while I can comfortably say that you can hear the quality difference, the overall sonic benefit of using one of these MA-R's (or any other "super" metal for that matter) over a really good TDK SA-X or Maxell XLII-S is only marginal when compared to the tremendous difference in cost.

Have you ever heard of the "law of diminishing returns?" Where the cost for something goes up way out of proportion to the actual benefit.... that theory applies here perfectly, IMHO.

Still, aside of the Maxell Vertex, the TDK MA-R is probably one of the most sought after tapes (sealed) by collectors of audio tapes. You could say they are to cassettes, what the M90 is to boomboxes.

Superduper

Member (SA)
All I know is that I still have 2 tapes (out of 3 original cases of 5 each that I bought new back in the day for $20/tape). I hadn't listened to them in decades. Found one stuck in an old Pioneer deck I had stored away, popped it in to see what was recorded on it and to my suprise, I heard the most vibrant music I've heard in years. No, make that decades I had forgotten that tapes could sound so good. Young guys today simply don't know what they are missing cuz if you never heard it, you'll never miss it. But once you've compared them, then you'll know just how crappy todays portable audio gear are compared to audiophile stuff of yesteryear.

tmlfan

Member (SA)
Dec 23, 2010
Ottawa
jaetee said:
tmlfan said:
can someone explain why these are so valuable
In genera, metal tapes as a whole have a lower noise floor and can take higher signal levels without distorting than Chrome or Normal tapes. And The MA-R represents what is basically "THE" first real reference standard audio cassette. The metal frame makes the shell much heavier and thereby helps minimize vibration and stabilize tape path, and the quality of the actual magnetic tape is absolute top shelf. If' you'd ever heard one of these recorded on a top-quality deck, you'd instantly know what all the fuss is about.

IMHO, they are total overkill for boomboxes.

I have a handful of these and a few examples of most of the other super-metals (like the Maxell Vertex, Sony Super Metal Master, Denon MX-G and TDK"s later MA-XG) and have tested them on high end Nakamichi decks. And while I can comfortably say that you can hear the quality difference, the overall sonic benefit of using one of these MA-R's (or any other "super" metal for that matter) over a really good TDK SA-X or Maxell XLII-S is only marginal when compared to the tremendous difference in cost.

Have you ever heard of the "law of diminishing returns?" Where the cost for something goes up way out of proportion to the actual benefit.... that theory applies here perfectly, IMHO.

Still, aside of the Maxell Vertex, the TDK MA-R is probably one of the most sought after tapes (sealed) by collectors of audio tapes. You could say they are to cassettes, what the M90 is to boomboxes.
Thanks, I have a better understanding...I actually had no idea.

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
redbenjoe said:
for recording off a boombox FM radio-

would these $$$ high-end tapes sound ANY different ?
Compared to what?

I can tell you that the sucking sound of money flying out of your pocket would probably be an annoyance and interfere with the music. :lol:

Seriously, though... for recording FM radio on a boombox, a decent type I (normal bias) tape like the TDK D, Maxell UR or Sony HF is more than adequate. For better results, you could use a decent chrome, like TDK SA or Maxell XLII.

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
Whats great about Metal tapes you don't get that hissing sound like you do with a Normal tape and the clarity coming out from a Metal is great.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
I understand that when you record on a chrome or metal tape, you are obviously supposed to set the switch on chrome or metal...............But what about when you play it back? I usually play them on the "normal" setting because the other settings take away too much treble. Yes I know they eliminate the hiss, but it comes at too high of a cost, in my opinion. Unless I'm doing something wrong. Sorry for my ignorance but I was never too knowledgable about tapes.

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
Reli said:
I understand that when you record on a chrome or metal tape, you are obviously supposed to set the switch on chrome or metal...............But what about when you play it back? I usually play them on the "normal" setting because the other settings take away too much treble. Yes I know they eliminate the hiss, but it comes at too high of a cost, in my opinion. Unless I'm doing something wrong. Sorry for my ignorance but I was never too knowledgable about tapes.
I never play a Metal or Chrome on a different setting because it can harm the tape head of the deck but maybe this one might be better answered by our very own addicted tape head jaetee. :-D

Superduper

Member (SA)
ford93 said:
I never play a Metal or Chrome on a different setting because it can harm the tape head of the deck but maybe this one might be better answered by our very own addicted tape head jaetee. :-D
It will not physically harm any tape head that was designed for playing metal tapes in the first place. The switch merely adjusts the bias circuitry to match the tape capabilities during recording and during playback, I believe alters the tone equalization response of the playback circuitry to better match the metal tape, which was presumed to have been recorded using higher frequency bias settings.

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
Superduper said:
ford93 said:
It will not physically harm any tape head that was designed for playing metal tapes in the first place. The switch merely adjusts the bias circuitry to match the tape capabilities during recording and during playback, I believe alters the tone equalization response of the playback circuitry to better match the metal tape, which was presumed to have been recorded using higher frequency bias settings.
Yup... SD is correct. And I'll add that, if you were listening to those Chrome & Metal tapes on a really good home system (or a really good box with good headphones) having the selector(s) set for normal tapes might actually reveal too much treble. On my boomers, I tend to leave the setting on normal when I'm listening to chrome or metal tapes as well, because boomboxes sound more airy and alive to me that way. I'm not worried about hiss on boomboxes and pretty much expect it. It doesn't hurt the tape or the heads on playback. For recording, it becomes much more important.

On home systems with well matched components, decent cables and a well tuned tape deck, I have found that having the deck set to normal when playing chrome or metal tapes tends to sound too bright, and In some cases you could describe it shrill. I would even go so far as to say that might be a great barometer let you know when you've got a well matched and tuned home system. After all, those switches are there for a reason.

Again, IMHO, using anything more than a TDK SA or Maxell XLII on a boombox is a waste of money. Especially if you are going to use a boombox (rather than a decent home component system) to make the recording. And taking that thought just a bit further, buying new old stock XLII's and SA's can set you back a pretty penny, too. So, if you're using a boombox to make recordings, I would recommend hitting some thrift stores and loading up on some gently used chromes and record over them. You can still find really good tapes for a quarter or a dime. You might get lucky and find some metal tapes while you're at it, then you can see for yourself.

Think of using a boombox to try to differentiate the nuances between tape types is kinda like driving a car with a four cylinder and an automatic transmission on a race track, compared to driving that same type of car with a strong V-6 and a manual transmission. You can still have fun with the lesser car, but you will never match the V-6's lap times.

stormsven

Member (SA)
Jan 14, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
Damn im a new here and just a month and a half probably after boomboxes but i think i know who are u talking about. Isnt it a guy with some youtube "movies" stuffin his place all around. I was feelin so bad about all boxes siting all around and put in every hole :sadno: . Just reminds me Chekhov's Dead Souls.......

JLF

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Pacific Northwest
Guys,

Thank you for the knowledge. I never really knew the 'why' on high end cassettes either. I greatly appreciate the knowledge.

As for DM4U, check out some of his latest videos. He actually has posted in 'info' prices for some of his boomboxes. Some are 'shipped' and I believe some are the price + shipping.

He is serious. He is selling.

How do I know?

Ive spoken with him this week after contacting him about one of his youtube videos that had a price.

Because I took a chance, I now have a GRAIL heading to my house, and will be here Friday. For a very good price too I might add.

I dont know the particulars, the hows or whys, but I do know I got a great deal.

He also took the extra (and appreciated) step of photographing my new BBX being packaged and shipped, along with a tracking number.

I will gladly let you guys know here how it looks once it arrives.

We've all seen the apartment video. We all know its full of great, collectable boxes, as well as dozens of Grail's. I think it would be worth the effort to check out youtube!

stormsven said:
Just reminds me Chekhov's Dead Souls.......
Yes Tony, that's the guy, and to some extent that's how I feel too.

I haven't really got a problem with the guy, people everywhere are different, and long live that diversity I say, but if you are going to collect something, don't just collect something for the sake of collecting. I really wish he would enjoy his collection by getting out more with his boomboxes, it's a social hobby, really he's in Texas so there's plenty of sunshine.

Anyway according to his post on Tapeheads it seems he's regretting the intensity of it all, as well as having too many, lets hope he has a big sale and the the guys in the US can pick up a few collectibles.

Edit: ooops maybe I should have read JLF's post.

JLF

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Pacific Northwest
Terry, I think your on to something... that maybe he feels he has too much, and perhaps has overstepped a boundary of some sort. It would be hard for anyone to live with that many of anything in a collection! Even if one had the square footage to store it all on display. Because he has so much, my temptation is to go wild and buy a dozen of my favorites. So Im actually forcing myself into moderation. Im going to give it some serious thought before I pick up another one or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.