Hitachi TRK 8190 playes pre-recorded tapes dull but tapes recorded on the Hitachi sound good

Magnotron

Member (SA)
Jun 5, 2020
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Bought a TRK 8190 a few weeks ago. Everything works like a charm accept the sound when playing tapes that are pre-recorded or recorded on another cassetterecorder. When i record with the TRK, the sound is good (radio also sounds good). However, that Hitachi tape sounds dull on other boomboxes. Can the tape head be misaligned? Can there be anorther logical reason? And any tips to correct this?
DSC_1241.JPG

hitachi2.jpg

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
A misaligned tape head would be first thought. Try adjusting and see if that helps. :yes:

Reactions: Magnotron

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
The recording is actually at a slower tape speed. When you replay this recording the tape speed is linear to your recording speed.

Prerecorded tapes are recorded at a higher tape speed (correct) so your deck needs new belts to maintain the correct speed.

Reactions: Magnotron

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
The recording is actually at a slower tape speed. When you replay this recording the tape speed is linear to your recording speed.

Prerecorded tapes are recorded at a higher tape speed (correct) so your deck needs new belts to maintain the correct speed.
Given the age of the box you may have to service the motor as well.

fyj2972

Member (SA)
Nov 29, 2011
california, usa
You need to correct HITACHI azimuth first,.

This is a typical head azimuth misalignment symptom. It has nothing to do with tape speed adjustment.

BTW, I like this box.

Last edited:

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Most 30+ year old pre-recorded tapes sound like ass, unless they were stored properly indoors (not in a garage or glove compartment)

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
I still think its the belts as there has been no mention they have been changed. if your take up is better that the capstan speed it can cause misalignment of the Head.