Hitachi TRK-8130 first project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meekoblue

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester, UK
HI
I used to have a GF-9191, bought it when I worked at Sharp Electronics circa 1980! ... like a fool threw it away. Going to an 80s themed convention in summer and on a whim decided to buy a cheap old boombox as a prop then felt pangs of nostalgia for the 9191!

I've just bought a TRK8130 from eBay cheap. Bit smaller than the 9191 but still working! Just needs a damn good clean up and a cassette belt. FM could use a tweak and battery compartment cleaning out.

I'll do some before and after pictures and thinking of selling it and getting another BB but sticking to what I know: Sharp GF series.

Just out of interest does anyone have a schematic for the 8130?

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Hello, Meekoblue!

Good luck with the resto, the TRK-8130 is packed tight and not too easy to work on if you're planning a strip down so I wish you all the best. I have three of these (one as a doner box) and it was the most involved strip down I'd done at that time. It really did feel I'd jumped into the deep end!

I have a hard copy of the Service Manual (TRK-8130E(BS)), not sure if I can scan to a PDF because there's a few double page schematics to consider - and I ain't done this before! If I can scan this on my less-than-adequate-sized scanner, you may have to print off and join the pages together - or I can post a copy (I'm in UK so this SM is the UK version).

Meekoblue

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester, UK
Thank you very much for your offer of a scan that would be very much appreciated! Just the schematics would be wonderful and I can print/glue together. I'm in the UK so that would be perfect.

I searched 8130 and found your thread. I was just going to superficially clean but you've inspired me to strip the guts out and cleanse the case properly then reinstall the boards and mechanism, cleansing each as I go.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Not tried steam cleaning but i strip the cases of most of mine and bath em, if i don't i can almost hear Northerners mind melting. He does like em clean....

Meekoblue

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester, UK
Well I've got some pictures, will upload later. Took the box apart and found the drive belt had turned to goo, quelle surprise! Forgot to put gloves on, so now I'm covered in a tar-like substance, but I isopropyl'd the mechanism and now the cassette plays. Sounds muddy so will find a good quality tape and check alignment but may also invest in a head demagnetiser.

All works now but pots need a spray. Going to take all the guts out including speakers etc and steam clean the case. Any thoughts on cleaning out battery acid? I thought of methylated spirits? Not too badly damaged, just plastic stained. Original battery connections still decent.

Noticed the clock segments barely visible but at least some life in it. Will need to investigate when putting it back together.

In other news: I just missed out on another Hitachi last night on ebay but not keen on them having opened this one. Think I still prefer Sharp. Got my eye on a GF-9191 to restore and keep.... :)

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
T-STER said:
Not tried steam cleaning but i strip the cases of most of mine and bath em, if i don't i can almost hear Northerners mind melting. He does like em clean....
I sure do!

I wouldn't steam clean tho too risky, might melt parts or strip paint. They don't need steam to be honest, hot soapy water is plenty good enough :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.