Hitachi TRK 8110E any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
Ferguson3T18 said:
There are a few radios I could recommend but only if you get the non euro versions with RCA line inputs. Sticking with Hitachi, the TRK -8080 US version has a proper line in, good sounding tuner and deck.
I know there are 5 Din units out there that can work as a usable line in but none that I’ve come across. (In Australia). I’ve even seen a euro M90 that has no useable line in (except the phono in via an attenuator). When I say ‘usable’, I mean a line in that requires no involvement what so ever with the tape deck.
Also keep an eye out for the early AIWA TPR series units that, despite not having a switch for line in, actually do have usable RCA inputs in the rear that function as a line in on tuner mode (the tuner is muted in favour of the RCA input signal).
There is a AIWA TPR-968k on EBay at the moment, is that a good box?
Great box, great looker, great build. Tricky deck (won’t be working) and din line-in. (It’ll sound low)

T-STER said:
I was just about to ask what country you were in, that would help. I probably have a few boxes i could part with cheap, whats your criteria? Do you need a working deck or just radio and line in? Colour preference, EG: silver box, black box etc. Any favoured brands?
You could take T-Ster up on his offer and see what he’s got?

Ferguson3T18

Member (SA)
Nov 11, 2017
Mid Wales, UK
As my user name implies, I do have a Ferguson 3T18 which I was very happy with until it went wrong, I bought it a few years ago on Ebay as not working and managed to get it repaired by an excellent tech (unfortunately he no longer has the time for repairs). Anyway the Fergi worked great for a few years then suddenly died again with a loud buzz. A local guy has looked at it and says it's too hard/time consuming to repair and I should bin it, I have had a price of £150 to repair it from Galaxy repairs in London which seems a little steep but it does include return postage (if it survives the courier service) but what if it goes wrong again in a couple of years? The thing may turn into a real money pit. Someone here at Boomboxery did offer to look at it but I did not contact him because I don't know his credentials. Perhaps I will contact T-Ster and see what he has on offer, maybe better than playing the Ebay lottery or throwing more money at the Ferguson?

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
Ferguson3T18 said:
As my user name implies, I do have a Ferguson 3T18 which I was very happy with until it went wrong, I bought it a few years ago on Ebay as not working and managed to get it repaired by an excellent tech (unfortunately he no longer has the time for repairs). Anyway the Fergi worked great for a few years then suddenly died again with a loud buzz. A local guy has looked at it and says it's too hard/time consuming to repair and I should bin it, I have had a price of £150 to repair it from Galaxy repairs in London which seems a little steep but it does include return postage (if it survives the courier service) but what if it goes wrong again in a couple of years? The thing may turn into a real money pit. Someone here at Boomboxery did offer to look at it but I did not contact him because I don't know his credentials. Perhaps I will contact T-Ster and see what he has on offer, maybe better than playing the Ebay lottery or throwing more money at the Ferguson?
Yes you could do worse and it was nice of T-Ster to offer.

Ferguson3T18

Member (SA)
Nov 11, 2017
Mid Wales, UK
T-STER said:
I was just about to ask what country you were in, that would help. I probably have a few boxes i could part with cheap, whats your criteria? Do you need a working deck or just radio and line in? Colour preference, EG: silver box, black box etc. Any favoured brands?
PM sent, not bothered about colour or brand as long as it sounds good, with line in, good FM reception, good working cassette player would be nice but not essential.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
No worries, i will let you know what i have, working conditions etc and some pictures and you can see what you think :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.