Hitachi TRK-8080E Line in/DIN problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line Out

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2012
Finland
What I've encountered using DIN, its a LOT more sensitive than RCA line in. When most RCA line ins need the MP3 player playing on full blast, some of the DIN (PB/REC) can distort if volume is set higher than "1". Crown CSC-850L for example, needs my player to be around 3-6 (volume goes 0-40). The Palladium doesn't need even that.

My cord is connected to pins 1 (L) and 4 (R) and to the metal housing (signal ground).

john3Ddub

Member (SA)
Jun 30, 2017
I had an Hitachi in 84 that had 5 pin DIN. Only connections were outputs as inputs didn't function, however.... You have mic inputs and i believe if you attenuate the output off the mp3 player with a basic voltage divider in each signal line. 120k ohms x 4 if memory serves me wrongly.
DIN also had a different impedance too so Line levels were different, plus the leads being different too. #nightmare

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
With many DIN inputs, you need to press Record/Play to make them function as inputs.

sssboa

Member (SA)
Feb 23, 2018
Hi

So anyone solved the problem?
I tried to press record + play
I used phono attenuator
All for nothing!

I use the same 5 pin din cable with my 1972 Sony stereo receiver and it works loud and clear.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
sssboa said:
Hi

I used phono attenuator
All for nothing!

I use the same 5 pin din cable with my 1972 Sony stereo receiver and it works loud and clear.
If you are not hearing anything, you may need to use a phone with a more powerful amp and built-in DAC. Or get an external one.

sssboa

Member (SA)
Feb 23, 2018
Reli said:
Hi

I used phono attenuator
All for nothing!

If you are not hearing anything, you may need to use a phone with a more powerful amp and built-in DAC. Or get an external one.
It's not the way really.
I wonder what was the purpose of this socket, or maybe it's some production flaw. It seems like the standard of din did not change through years. It shouldn't require amp. BTW, how about other boomboxes from the period (late 1970s), do the line-in din sockets work loud and clear? I thought about Panasonic or Sanyo.

From Service Manual of Hitach TRK-8080E
Input sensitivity and impedance of DIN
30mV 50k ohms

I think it's normal but have to search and compare with other gear.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Some of my DIN sockets work fine, others don't

Some may have been intended for Phono turntables, while others may have been intended for Line In sources

sssboa

Member (SA)
Feb 23, 2018
Reli said:
Some of my DIN sockets work fine, others don't

Some may have been intended for Phono turntables, while others may have been intended for Line In sources
Well this one is certainly not phono socket, phono should be more sensitive than tape. This one is tape in/out I'd say. Maybe it records ok only you cannot monitor properly through speakers.

sssboa

Member (SA)
Feb 23, 2018
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
I’ve had no luck with 5 Din equipped Hitachis. I had to import an RCA equipped Hitachi TRK-8080 from the US to get one with a usable line in.
Does it work on ~240V?

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria

mulaz

Member (SA)
Feb 8, 2018
I have a Trk-8600 and when I first connected an ipod I found the sound too loud and distorted. I Have a few
5 pin din to phono leads and used the 1st one lying around . A few days later I tried again with a different cable and it played fine?. Found the second cable wired different and wired into pins 3,5 and 2. I now have an internal bluetooth module connected to these pins and it is excellent after sorting out the earth loop hum

sssboa

Member (SA)
Feb 23, 2018
Someone knows how to do mods to this unit?
  1. Adding bluetooth?
  2. Replacing preamplifier?

1329alex

Member (SA)
Sep 18, 2017
Probably been answered already but to check that the problem exists across all sources you plug in via din, try another device like a separate tape deck with DIN out for example. That will play at standard line level output from the headphone jack, so just hook your 3.5mm to the deck and plug the DIN into the 8080E. If it's quiet then you know you might need to re-wire the DIN cable or the problem could be with the pre-amp itself.

sssboa

Member (SA)
Feb 23, 2018
OK guys, problem solved. It's enough to rewire the left and right channel to the other side of the grounding pin, symetrically.

Status
Not open for further replies.