Help with VZ-2000. I'm a newbie here and need service manual please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hishothouse

Member (SA)
May 8, 2014
South Australia
Hi all. I'm a newbie to this forum. I'm a tech trained back in the good old 70's and live in the wine district of South Australia. In between playing with wines I restore 70's audio gear; however, when out buying from someone today I spotted a VZ-2000 in its original box in their shed. It's in pristine condition, everything works and comes with user manual and schematics, however, it doesn't come with a service manual. Just wondering if someone has one please (inc strip down guide). Also, is there anything that I should check or pay attention too as a priority? It certainly seems a lovely piece and, although I've seen them around, I've not yet worked on one of these. Thanks guys - your help and input greatly appreciated. Cheers, George

Attachments

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
welcome.

there are service manuals on the site in the tech section that can be downloaded for the vz 's .

your'e a lucky man to find one with the packaging . the usual suspects on these are the cassette belts and the turntable belts .also be careful with the control sliders as they tend to break easily . aside from that if it's working good leave it alone and if you feel you can do the services to it study up on the service manual , these really are not that overly complicated to work on , i have seen worse.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Check out the full strip down guide on here...its a full guide with loads of pics....made stripping it down loads easier :-)

Congrats on an awesome find! :-)

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
:hi: :hi:

The strip down istructions/guide really helps not to break any parts when you open it up.
We can help you with your questions and concerns!
Good Luck! :yes:

Alberto

Member (SA)
Jan 3, 2013
Wallingford,Ct. USA
Welcome to this great site. After restoring 2 VZ2000s I have found that the best and safest way to remove the slider knobs is to grip them at the center point and pull them straight up and out. Do not rock them back and forth because this usually breaks the holding tabs on the bottom of the slider knobs.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think I learned how to remove the broken piece of the slider from the metal part from Northerner

It was by heating a pin and piercing in it (when it is red hot) and pull it after it all cools down.

That trick really worked!

hishothouse

Member (SA)
May 8, 2014
South Australia
Thanks guys for your help and input. I appreciate it. Although I've worked on many and varied pieces of equipment, I haven't worked on one of these before. The only issue I have found is that the FM radio seems to work intermittently. It was working when I tested the unit prior to purchase, however, doesn't seem to work any more. Just static. Has anyone come across this issue before on this unit? Thanks guys!

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
hishothouse said:
Thanks guys for your help and input. I appreciate it. Although I've worked on many and varied pieces of equipment, I haven't worked on one of these before. The only issue I have found is that the FM radio seems to work intermittently. It was working when I tested the unit prior to purchase, however, doesn't seem to work any more. Just static. Has anyone come across this issue before on this unit? Thanks guys!
my guess would be oxidation in the function switches, a good lubrication with some control cleaner should help.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
JVC Floyd said:
my guess would be oxidation in the function switches, a good lubrication with some control cleaner should help.
I agree with the function switch being a probable cause. Just a tiny bit of loose oxidation could be enough to cause issues for the very 'voltage sensitive' FM tuner. A little contact cleaner/lube should do the trick. The contacts on these older units sometimes need a lot of 'back and forth' after applying the contact cleaner to restore reliable function - (particularly if the unit has sat unused for some time).

Hopefully it shouldn't be anything too serious if the tuner was working fine upon initial inspection.

Good luck,

James..... :-)

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
I'm not particularly familiar with the VZ's, but be sure to clean the Band switch too. The tuner issue sounds very similar to a problem I had when I got my C-100. Once I cleaned it, the tuner has worked flawlessly ever since.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Cassette holder tray hinges are very easy to break so take extra care when you remove the front section. Also watch that record switch long steel line with hooks on each end. I believe it is easy to remove when you take out the cassette mechanism.

Have masking tape on either side of the front face in between the record player trays. If not the metal hinges will scratch paint there when one puts back the record player section. The hinges are so sharp. Note the size of the screws at the rear and mark them. The top 3 tiny ones are easy to lose. :yes:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
keep in mind you don't need to remove the control sliders to work on the box ,only need to do that if you are going to clean the slider controls , otherwise i would leave them alone. also there is a screw underneath the volume knob that you must remove to separate the halves of the casing .best way to remove those knobs is to wrap the outside of the knobs with painters tape and pull straight up .

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
JVC Floyd said:
keep in mind you don't need to remove the control sliders to work on the box ,only need to do that if you are going to clean the slider controls , otherwise i would leave them alone. also there is a screw underneath the volume knob that you must remove to separate the halves of the casing .best way to remove those knobs is to wrap the outside of the knobs with painters tape and pull straight up .
Great advice! :yes: :yes: :yes:

I slipped a thin plasic wire under the volume knob and pulled it straight up. That works well.
Some come with the turn table locked with screws from the back. You need to remove those too!

hishothouse

Member (SA)
May 8, 2014
South Australia
IMG_8482.JPGIMG_8482.JPGThanks again for your advice guys. I will keep you posted as to how things go.

Here's some photos as requested.

Mothers Day here in Australia so have to attend to breakfast, picnic lunch at a nearby winery and generally spoiling the 'mums' in my family (two daughters and my lovely wife and mum! Four ladies to look after - the pressure is on!)

Cheers
George

Attachments

hishothouse

Member (SA)
May 8, 2014
South Australia
Hmmm, slightly stuffed up the uploading of photos....however, despite one being uploaded twice, enjoy!

ps - how do I delete that doubled up photo from my post?

Cheers
George

Status
Not open for further replies.