help for buying a boombox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roeland

Member (SA)
May 23, 2013
Hello,

this looks like a website for people who really knows something about Boomboxes/ghettoblasters.

I'm planning to buy a boombox for my street performance. just for playing music and because it's a nice eyecatcher :-).
but i have a question:
i spotted a boombox on a secondhand website. it is the Ghettoblaster Philips D8444. now is my question: do you think that this boombox goes loud enough for street performing? and has it a line in for MP3 players

Thanks allready and greeting from belgium!
Roeland

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Hello and welcome to this most marvelous of forums :-D

I've got two D8444's and the answers to your questions are 'no' and 'no' :lol:

Its a good looking box and is ok for home use but its not that loud or bassy. Its got a line in but its purely for recording, you can't use it to play your mp3 player through it so I use an FM transmitter attached to my ipod.

Heres my modded one...looks fab, sounds average

Attachments

Roeland

Member (SA)
May 23, 2013
now i found a phillips D 8634 Soundmachine. Will this thing do the job?
Maybe i should change my question :-) : what is a nice looking affortable boombox that goes loud enough for street performing :-)?

Thanks again

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
That's a much better choice...quality sound and loud! There are so many good boxes that would work well on the street...it would be a long list. You do best doing what you're doing...finding a box you like the look of and asking for an opinion. But that D8634 would be a good choice :)

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Roeland said:
Maybe i should change my question :-) : what is a nice looking affortable boombox that goes loud enough for street performing :-)?
Sharp GF-555s are stupidly cheap at the moment. Their sound isn't what could be called refined, but they go very loud indeed and have RCA line level inputs. Mine has at various times over the years been used as a mobile amp by a friend who plays fretless bass and even in the middle of a crowded beach party it could still be heard well enough.
Build quality puts the old thing among Sharp's strongest ever boxes, I'm 17 stones (238Lb) in weight, used to sit on it quite often and it took that in its stride.

Apart from cassette deck idler tyres and capstan sleeves perishing, they tend not to break down. Ever. :-)

OK, I know you said "nice looking" but couldn't think of a more suitable box to abuse outdoors. :blush:

retrohead

Member (SA)
May 29, 2010
United Kingdom
i can only concurr with northerner with the answer about the phillips d8634.....these are very loud,very bassy and will do the job nicely,but for an ideal street box you NEED a jvc rc m70,but these go for big money.if like me your on a budget and want something loud then stick to the d8634,but if you prfer the look of a one piece on a budget id seek out something like a sharp gf8989 or something like that....but the d8444 philips is a load of cheap trash :thumbsdown:

Roeland

Member (SA)
May 23, 2013
allright thanks again! i probably going to ask some more questions in the future. i'm not that in a big hurry an d i want a nice one.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.