Hello from the UK ( Brighton ) - JVC 3090EN

Obiw4n

Apr 3, 2021
UK
Hello chaps, Tony here just signing in to say hello after a few weeks perusing the forums just loving the pictures and the info... and being of a 'certain age' ( 52 ) because of you guys I became obsessed with getting my very own boom-box and when a ?-reasonably priced-? one came along I took the plunge and I can now say without fear of contradiction that I'm now the proud owner of a wonderful device from JVC the 3090EN.

When I first saw one on the early 1980's it's lines ( not to mention the sound ) entered my soul permanently... I never got the name, just the JVC part and the TV slap bang in the middle... and for years it's visage would flicker across my memory If I ever heard the word boom-box or if I heard some nice Electro or whatever.

Talking of music and the 80's etc, I've never told this to anyone before but during the 'breakdance' phase of the mid 1980s in the UK in the absence of having a real boom-box to play with I myself became the "Human Beat Box" ( following in the heals of the Fat Boys etc ) - I remember having phrase 'Human Beat Box' written on the back of my jacket haha, Anyway So It was just me and another guy at our local shopping centre every Saturday with a few guys on a piece of lino break-dancing, I grew out of it when I purchased my first synthesiser and started making beats that way.

Anyway I wanted to use my JVC in a video for one of my own musical creations, but sad to say I have a sick JVC... I knew she was ill when I got her but I'm restoring this beauty back to full health hopefully with your help, I'm a bit of a geek/tech, I'm known as Tony-Tech to my friends, but it's more in the computer field really, websites etc, programming, but I'm learning quite a bit about CRT's and how they work etc because of my poor JVC which has a tuner fault ( I think ) which I could use some help on, plus I've found an interesting AM radio modification inside of the JVC which seemed to be an after market modification.

Plus I'm restoring the missing metal fascia which sadly was missing, it's got a sticky cassette door to but besides that it's just great.

Anyway I'll make my way around the forums and see If I can get some help with my JVC, re.. the tuner, you know I think at some point during the 1980s or whenever someone had plugged in some phono leads so forcefully that it snapped away some of the tuner casing, anyway I'll post the details as & when but I hope to share the fascia design so that others might get theirs back looking better, we'll see.

For now hello and thank you.

Reactions: Northerner

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Welcome to the madness, nice to hear a good back story too!

You’ve certainly gone high end for your first purchase...that JVC is a beauty with great sound. Good luck with the fix

hemiguy2006

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Welcome aboard Tony and congratulations on acquiring your dream box!
sounds like you have the drive and ambition needed to get this one back in order.Post up some pics of that bad boy when you get a chance.
Regards, Frank

Obiw4n

Apr 3, 2021
UK
Thanks guys really appreciate the welcome, I'll get some images posted up as & when I've finished the fascia and then I'll have a crack at the CRT, I'm hoping it's not going to be that bad, I've got to eviscerate the machine itself to get at the CRT innards etc so I've got to plan for that ( time ) and I don't want to loose any screws :)

The JVC fascia, I'm sure this happens to a lot of people but the glue holding the metal fascia in place becomes weakened and dries out then the fascia itself becomes loose and on my machine it's been snapped in half... but I had a similar problem on my Roland-606 drum machine which had rubbed out lettering on it's front... so I designed another one in Photoshop and had it printed out as a vinyl sticker and it looked great, so same again here... I'm measuring out all the bells & whistles on the front of this JVC control fascia and I'm making it now in Photoshop and with a bit of luck it'll go on a treat... it's a fiddly bugger... so I want to make a job of it first time.

Anyway cheers my dudes.

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Take lots of photos with your phone, I also find it useful to layout screws in the order they came out which helps to visualise the order in which they came for putting back together. Ideally, you need space to be able to put it all out on a surface and leave them there while you continue the work.

Reactions: Obiw4n