Helix HX-4700 Custom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Wow.....just SICK. I had no idea you were into this type of thing. And the music was not what I expected for you either. :lol: Fantastic work, man.

I always thought someone should glow-tube their woofers like that, but I had always assumed that the power requirements would be too restrictive. How much power does the light driver box require, and how big is it?

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Reli said:
Wow.....just SICK. I had no idea you were into this type of thing. And the music was not what I expected for you either. :lol: Fantastic work, man.

I always thought someone should glow-tube their woofers like that, but I had always assumed that the power requirements would be too restrictive. How much power does the light driver box require, and how big is it?
The glow cord runs off 2 AA's, the power box is 2x2x1/2 inches. I could have wired it up to the rest of the system, but I wanted to utilize the sound activated effects. If you watch the video, when it shows the back in the cassette storage compartment, you can see the little controller.

This is what I used, real cheap only $8.99 shipped

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Nice....that's pretty manageable in size. So you used a splitter to power 2 cords from one box, right?

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
Reli said:

I used pink Glow wire on a Realistic SCR-8 a couple years ago, ya must've missed the thread..?

Lasonic TRC-920 said:
not sure the question???
I think he's wondering if you used 2 separate pieces of glowire for each side..?
I assume it was just 1 long piece snaked around everything..

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
JustCruisin said:
I used pink Glow wire on a Realistic SCR-8 a couple years ago, ya must've missed the thread..?

I think he's wondering if you used 2 separate pieces of glowire for each side..?
I assume it was just 1 long piece snaked around everything..
The glow wire was 3 or 4 feet long and I looped it around each speakers (woofer, mid) then under the cassette keys to the other side and around the woofer mid in a figure 8 shape.

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
The glow wire was 3 or 4 feet long and I looped it around each speakers (woofer, mid) then under the cassette keys to the other side and around the woofer mid in a figure 8 shape.
Yes! I noticed it on the video that it was under cassette keys..nice touch! :cool:

I'm gonna nominate this build for "Game-Changing Box" 2015 or Top Build 2015, whatever sounds better! :breakdance:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
JustCruisin said:
Yes! I noticed it on the video that it was under cassette keys..nice touch! :cool:

I'm gonna nominate this build for "Game-Changing Box" 2015 or Top Build 2015, whatever sounds better! :breakdance:
Thank you man. Means allot. It's hard coming up with new ideas. And yet every day when I come on this site, I still see something I have never seen before and never EVER thought of, (C100 with white speakers, 4 woofer 931, SCR-8 w/ touch screen)

The creativity and imagination is as varied as the model choices we were blessed with :yes:

Still enjoying this hobby!

Wait till you see the next project :w00t: It's already in the development stage! Parts have been purchased, partially assembled and being tested on the bench for "Proof of Concept!"

Maybe a month or two away!!!!

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Wow, didn't know it was that long. In the auction it says you can use a "splitter" to attach more than one wire to the same power supply. That's what I assumed you had done.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I wonder if we could do a yearly 'build off' competition for our blasters.

I'm on the bmx forum too and every year they have a 1 month period where you can start, document, and finish any kind of build you want to compete. They have categories for stock restoration, modified, alien mothership, etc...... we should try that. Start with the biggest dumpster boxes and bring back to show room condition or take a stock box and modify it with lights, spoilers, sirens, straps, wheels or whatever you want.

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
^^^ that sounds fun in the idea stage, Joe.. But, the last thing this hobby needs is "competition"..
We've seen the crazies that have been banned from this site because they take "collecting" way too seriously!
There are members on here still that feel like their Boomboxes are superior to others, and that way of thinking does NOT belong in this hobby.. For the most part, the majority of us just like to show off our hard work and creativity, but there are a few "bad apples" who, in my mind, are souring this sport ( so to speak).

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Good point.

It was a topic that would make people want to come here everyday and check in on the madness, but it could get crazy like you said.

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
blu_fuz said:
Good point.

It was a topic that would make people want to come here everyday and check in on the madness, but it could get crazy like you said.
It does sound really fun, seeing all sorts of different boxes being worked on.. just leave the "competing" part out of it..?

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Reli said:
Wow, didn't know it was that long. In the auction it says you can use a "splitter" to attach more than one wire to the same power supply. That's what I assumed you had done.
I think you can buy the glow line (it's not wire BTW) in raw form. It just has a single LED at one end and glows. So you could put any LED at the end of that raw line and make it into anything you want. I went this route only because I wanted the sound active.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
blu_fuz said:
I wonder if we could do a yearly 'build off' competition for our blasters.

I'm on the bmx forum too and every year they have a 1 month period where you can start, document, and finish any kind of build you want to compete. They have categories for stock restoration, modified, alien mothership, etc...... we should try that. Start with the biggest dumpster boxes and bring back to show room condition or take a stock box and modify it with lights, spoilers, sirens, straps, wheels or whatever you want.
I don't want to go down this path either, what with all the bitching and whining that I beat everyone AGAIN :lol: :lol: , and that I clearly out classed everyone :lol: :lol:

Plus Joe is gonna CHEAT and use Superduper! :thumbsdown: :lol:

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Below is a video of my Helix HX-4700. It has taken me almost 3 1/2 months to complete this build and close to 50 hours

The modifications to this radio are extensive, with custom made PC Boards to hold the LED's, resistors, fuses, switching and more.

The clock features 24 hour time setting, volt meter / battery gauge and a temperature sensor that is mounted in the bottom of the radio giving the outside temp.

The Bluetooth module can be unplugged and a 1/8 to 1/8 plug wire can be used to tether any MP3 player.

The glowing speaker surrounds have their own power supply and is held in place with Velcro. It has a power switch and sensitivity adjustment.

The factory alarm system was upgraded with a flashing LED light.

The factory tweeters and midrange speakers were upgraded. The woofers are stock.

The decks have been re-belted and are fully functional as is the tuner.

The entire stereo was stripped down, all the electronics were cleaned and repaired as needed.

Speaker grills straightened and repainted semi-gloss black.

The handle was reworked along with the case to eliminate rattles and squeaks.

I will post more pictures and info on this extensive build when I get more time.
TTT for this great vid! :weed:

Status
Not open for further replies.