Helix HX-4700 complete overhaul

gsbadbmr

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2010
Boombox Museum
:jawdrop: WTF...that's MADNESS right there...amazing job :thumbsup: ...just taking and uploading all those pics is time consuming, let alone your hours of work :thumbsup:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
stragulus said:
That is absolutely awesome work man! :w00t: Very detailed, and super- super informative! I'll be coming back to this thread a couple of times to figure out some fixes of my own. Kudos! :clap:
Right on man. I hope this helps. Hit me up if you ever want details on some of this stuff.

After three or four cassette deck door re-attachments, I have figured that out.

Same goes for battery door rebuild / replacement.

Now that I have figured out how to properly seal these cases and eliminate squeaks and rattles, which will only improve with time, I see this as the future of my collection.

Picking up this Helix and then picking up my J1, which I considered to have far superior build quality, WOW, now I have to go through the J1 :yes:

gsbadbmr said:
:jawdrop: WTF...that's MADNESS right there...amazing job :thumbsup: ...just taking and uploading all those pics is time consuming, let alone your hours of work :thumbsup:
Last week we were talking about this radio and I said I was working one out, this was it.

In hindsight, I think this is a really good radio. Two weeks ago, I would have said it was so so and that's the best it could be.

Now I think to myself, if this radio could be returned this tight, other radio's, that start out in better condition could only be better!

I'll be starting up the other 4700 soon and I will detail the important steps to tighten it up in that thread.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
You've done it again Chris! Your dedication to these empty black boxes is unbelievable. You must very patient as 80% of your work is to correct the design faults to be found through out these things. Your triangular top post mount was very nicely done - the extreme strength of that redesign must be responsible for much of the improvement in the carry experience.

Despite the lower build quality, they're cool looking boxes and for some reason, many of these black boxes have healthy amps. In comparison, many of the brand name boxes I've worked on have had uneven channel outputs etc. Maybe the better quality units had more use and wore out earlier!?

You've come a long way Chris - your definitely the resident BBB expert around these parts.

Well done!

You can work on my boxes anytime!

James.... :-)

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
You've done it again Chris! Your dedication to these empty black boxes is unbelievable. You must very patient as 80% of your work is to correct the design faults to be found through out these things. Your triangular top post mount was very nicely done - the extreme strength of that redesign must be responsible for much of the improvement in the carry experience.

Despite the lower build quality, they're cool looking boxes and for some reason, many of these black boxes have healthy amps. In comparison, many of the brand name boxes I've worked on have had uneven channel outputs etc. Maybe the better quality units had more use and wore out earlier!?

You've come a long way Chris - your definitely the resident BBB expert around these parts.

Well done!

You can work on my boxes anytime!

James.... :-)
Thanks James,

I don't know why that happened, but I love to work against the grain. I used to own a bunch of MG's, this might explain it. When you use an MG Midget as a daily driver "Family Car" and drive it across the country, AGAINST your mechanic's suggestion, then something must be wrong with you! :lol:

These are easy to work on, unlike the complicated logic decks so I don't mind diving in. Not sure why these BBB amp's have held up. Maybe because the tolerances are lower they aren't pushed as hard. :huh:

I have no idea why they are still working....

But, yeah, making something do what it was never meant to do....that sounds like me! :lol: :dunce: :chris920:

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
When you use an MG Midget as a daily driver "Family Car" and drive it across the country, AGAINST your mechanic's suggestion, then something must be wrong with you!
:w00t:
If an A-series won't get the job done, nothing will! You total masochist! :thumbsup: I just knew that you were crazy in a very positive way, your British Leyland-related confession just proves this. :yes:

Now please tell us that it wasn't the large journal, 1493cc Triumph engined version you owned. They used to need fresh mains & ends every 24,000 and thrust washers between times so if it was one of those, then you actually were mad to use it as a daily ride, therefore all the more worthy of respect.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
This post encompasses everything that is great about this hobby. Some stunning repair and improvising work there, I can just see so much care and attention has gone into that. To put this much into a repair for some one else is selfless and amazing.

Then there is the work itself, this for me took 20 minutes to read and I saved the post to read again as there was so much good info and ideas/tips.

I demand the universe applies the correct amount of boombox karma to you.......stunning.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
PS, thanks for thinking of all of us when getting your chance to pay it forward. Some things I obviously have to charge for, but as often as I can I will throw some freebies or cheapies!

Nice job man.

My Dynasty needs the same creaky treatment.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
i know how much work chris puts into everything he does, he made me a metal battery cover for my trc 918 which look amazing and works as good as the one from the factory. i wish i had somebody like him living near me that could fix up radio's like that . looks awesome!.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Beosystem10 said:
:w00t:
If an A-series won't get the job done, nothing will! You total masochist! :thumbsup: I just knew that you were crazy in a very positive way, your British Leyland-related confession just proves this. :yes:

Now please tell us that it wasn't the large journal, 1493cc Triumph engined version you owned. They used to need fresh mains & ends every 24,000 and thrust washers between times so if it was one of those, then you actually were mad to use it as a daily ride, therefore all the more worthy of respect.
Oh John, I know I just opened up a serious can of worms and showed a side of me I maybe shouldn't have!

Both my B and my Midget were 1978 rubber bumper cars, both show cars, both on the cover of Moss Motoring Magazine and my Midget pulled 2nd place in the slalom at the Flag is Up Farm in Solvang California in 1996 only losing to a Mini owned by the man who owns Moss Motoring! My Midget was a 1500cc nightmare that I regularly broke the smog emission laws of California to keep on the road. I put 20,000 miles on the car using 3 engines! I spent more than $11,000 on the car and gave it to a friend who returned it to England where she is currently rebuilding the engine (again).

This is my one and only racing trophy

20141203_223837.jpg

:eek:fftopic: :lol: :lol: :lol:

T-STER said:
This post encompasses everything that is great about this hobby. Some stunning repair and improvising work there, I can just see so much care and attention has gone into that. To put this much into a repair for some one else is selfless and amazing.

Then there is the work itself, this for me took 20 minutes to read and I saved the post to read again as there was so much good info and ideas/tips.

I demand the universe applies the correct amount of boombox karma to you.......stunning.
Thanks T-STER, I'll tell ya, I am just paying my debt. If I was to list out everything that has changed hands between Adrian, Peter and myself, not to mention everyone else, you would see I am way behind on paying up!

I was just reading in a Blu_Fuz thread on an M90 he was working on for someone else, there is something that is very scary about working on someone elses radio. In this case, I was a little at ease knowing I had another if I F'd something up, but I didn't want to take that route. But there is also an excitement because I know Adrian uses and loves this box.

When we were at the China Town meet, Peter and I noticed and commented on the fact that people were walking right up to Adrian and asking him for pictures with the Helix. Peter was there with is C100, I with my J1. Those are some big fires to stomp out!

The Helix HX-4700 has a presence and I'm glad that this one now can properly represent!

Once mine is done, we can Rock China town with them both!

blu_fuz said:
PS, thanks for thinking of all of us when getting your chance to pay it forward. Some things I obviously have to charge for, but as often as I can I will throw some freebies or cheapies!

Nice job man.

My Dynasty needs the same creaky treatment.
Joe, your Blaster Karma meter is always pegged for all you do. Spending the time to engineer, test, purchase, test and repurchase and retest in order to perfect the straps with none of that time added to the cost is amazing.

PM sent

JVC Floyd said:
i know how much work chris puts into everything he does, he made me a metal battery cover for my trc 918 which look amazing and works as good as the one from the factory. i wish i had somebody like him living near me that could fix up radio's like that . looks awesome!.
I am going to get the materials to remake those out of plastic so we aren't carrying an extra 1/2 pound of aluminum, but some sort of door is better than duct tape. Glad it's still working!

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Awesome job. All these resto projects you've done and the quality you've been doing them are quite an inspiration. It's pretty impressive seeing a lot of the work you and others have been doing. Keep it up man.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
skippy1969 said:
FANTASTIC!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Super great job Chris! :drool: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :cool:
Thank you Skippy :-D

trippy1313 said:
Awesome job. All these resto projects you've done and the quality you've been doing them are quite an inspiration. It's pretty impressive seeing a lot of the work you and others have been doing. Keep it up man.
I'll tell ya, Last night I was working on the other HX-4700 I have, trying to bring it up to this level and was thinking of the first time I saw a thread with Hemiguy doing a full tear down and bath tub wash and how it opened my eyes up to what it says at the top of this website "Boomboxery: Making Classic Boomboxes Happy Again". :thumbsup:

Those early threads gave me the confidence to just go for it!

hemiguy2006

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
:chris920:I am getting all teary eyed :lol:
Great work Chris, as usual you just continue to amaze me with your skillz!!!!!
[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]Nothing Like Tearing right into a box!!!![/SIZE]
View attachment 13853

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
What a magnificent looking beast, way to bring it back and then some! I bet it's more solid than it was when it was new. Props for paying it forward by documenting your journey so well for all of us to learn from. I'm going to have to get some ultra suede, I was already noodling over what to use for some creaky spots, so thanks!

Hemiguy my C100 is about to look just like that. Acrylic cement, belts, Deoxit, etc all sitting here ready to go but I just can't get myself to turn it off! :sadno:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
caution said:
What a magnificent looking beast, way to bring it back and then some! I bet it's more solid than it was when it was new. Props for paying it forward by documenting your journey so well for all of us to learn from. I'm going to have to get some ultra suede, I was already noodling over what to use for some creaky spots, so thanks!

Hemiguy my C100 is about to look just like that. Acrylic cement, belts, Deoxit, etc all sitting here ready to go but I just can't get myself to turn it off! :sadno:
Right on man, can't wait to see where it all goes. If you look for some ultra suede it needs to be super thin, as thin as you can get it.

howie1976

Member (SA)
Nov 14, 2014
SoCal
Absolutely amazing job! Your skill, dedication and craftsmanship blows me away. I'm very new to this hobby (less than 2 months in) and I've already embarked on a restoration project. So far I've had a few successes but also a lot of set backs and frustrations. But reading this thread inspires me to continue on. One of the attributes one needs to have in order to be successful at this hobby is patience. Unfortunately for me, that is not one attribute that I have much of, just ask my wife and she'll be happy detail this flaw of mine.😃 But this hobby is actually doing much more than teaching me about electronics, it's forcing me to be grow as a person and change my faults.

So thanks for the inspiration and here's to a world filled with patience for all of us in the coming new year!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
howie1976 said:
Absolutely amazing job! Your skill, dedication and craftsmanship blows me away. I'm very new to this hobby (less than 2 months in) and I've already embarked on a restoration project. So far I've had a few successes but also a lot of set backs and frustrations. But reading this thread inspires me to continue on. One of the attributes one needs to have in order to be successful at this hobby is patience. Unfortunately for me, that is not one attribute that I have much of, just ask my wife and she'll be happy detail this flaw of mine. But this hobby is actually doing much more than teaching me about electronics, it's forcing me to be grow as a person and change my faults.

So thanks for the inspiration and here's to a world filled with patience for all of us in the coming new year!
Howie, you and I have so much to talk about :lol: I agree, patience is something I have been learning as well. Take your time, you will end up with a nice blaster!

Thanks for the kind words on the project!

funktoon

Member (SA)
Aug 26, 2015
nice box! it looks less tacky than alot of the big boxes

no comment about the lasonic TRC-935 i used to own except i custom painted it asap