Helix HX-4636 restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Ok, I opened the Helix back up, checked the wiring against Beosystem's pictures and it's wired correctly. The only difference is, I ran a separate ground wire from the amp to each speaker where the original jumpered from the amp ground to the speaker to the next speaker, same outcome.

20141119_165759.jpg

NEXT: Deck Carriage Install:

The new carriage went in with no trouble at all. Superlew also included the original spring and a counter belt :thumbsup:

20141119_164321.jpg20141119_164324.jpg20141119_164333.jpg20141119_174128.jpg

The finished Product...

20141119_174320.jpg

http://youtu.be/yDDFl21xwKo

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
SLO said:
Nice job Chris! You got that baby looking blingy AND sounding fierce! Sounds great man
Thanks man, I'm stoked. Both decks fully working. High speed dubbing, continuous play. Really kick ass. Load up two 120 minute tapes and bring two more and I'm out on the town for the night

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Yeah. These decks may be crude but they seem capable of playing thinner tape without snapping it. I haven't had the balls to try my TDK DC180 in mine yet but maybe some day. After all, I have a splicing block so even if that expensive, Rizla-thin tape does break I can always mend it. I have a few LPs on C120s and those are fine on both decks (so far, so good! :blush: )
Best plan for playing any thin tape (C120 or longer) on any deck (even high end ones if they don't decelerate gently to a stop like the Technics SA-C05L does) is to stop the tape before the end if you're rewinding it, then take the cassette out and wind it the last few feet with a pencil or a finger. :-D

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
Awesome work Chris!
I wish my Lloyds looked and sonded that good. Of course, the Lloyds gets a little lighter every couple of weeks (insert "laughing" smiley).

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Beosystem10 said:
Yeah. These decks may be crude but they seem capable of playing thinner tape without snapping it. I haven't had the balls to try my TDK DC180 in mine yet but maybe some day. After all, I have a splicing block so even if that expensive, Rizla-thin tape does break I can always mend it. I have a few LPs on C120s and those are fine on both decks (so far, so good! :blush: )
Best plan for playing any thin tape (C120 or longer) on any deck (even high end ones if they don't decelerate gently to a stop like the Technics SA-C05L does) is to stop the tape before the end if you're rewinding it, then take the cassette out and wind it the last few feet with a pencil or a finger. :-D
It's been so long since I used long tapes I forgot about that. Back in the day I rarely used 120's, mostly because they wouldn't rewind or fast forward when you got to one end. The biggest I would use was 90's.

superlew said:
Awesome work Chris!
I wish my Lloyds looked and sonded that good. Of course, the Lloyds gets a little lighter every couple of weeks (insert "laughing" smiley).
I couldn't have done it without you! Your Lloyds lives on with every push of the play button! :lol:

You know what the best part is, the top teck has been out of operation for so long that is sounds fantastic! The deck head is not worn out. The bottom deck is a little tired sounding, but the top deck sounds 80's fresh!

I spoke to THAFUZZ (Adam, who I got this radio from) and told him everything that has transpired with this radio and he was blown away!

HELL I AM BLOWN AWAY! :w00t: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Thanks again guys, without you both, this would be just another pretty paper weight :cool:

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Great work Chris :thumbsup: I got a Helix 4636 back in 2008 for $40 shipped. Great price but didn't work. Ended up being a transistor and diode in preamp. Excellent sounding box for sure :-)

Bad Boy Bill

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
baddboybill said:
Great work Chris :thumbsup: I got a Helix 4636 back in 2008 for $40 shipped. Great price but didn't work. Ended up being a transistor and diode in preamp. Excellent sounding box for sure :-)

Bad Boy Bill
Right on, can't beat that price.

I'm actually shocked on how good this thing sounds. It hits pretty hard!

It's been my garage radio all week. Really digging it

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
man that'a a sweet box . i love the layout with the decks stacked one on top of the other makes them easier to use . also love the red pinstripes around the woofers.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
superlew said:
That's how I sleep at night! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

JVC Floyd said:
man that'a a sweet box . i love the layout with the decks stacked one on top of the other makes them easier to use . also love the red pinstripes around the woofers.
I have been using this radio in the garage (while I rebuild other radios) and the sound is so full. I don't know if it's the 931 speakers or if this is what they always sound like, but I'm loving this radio. It's a great size for carrying and has the power!

=ml= said:
Great work Chris! :thumbsup:

Go!

=ml=
Thanks Miles!

A_NY_Outlaw

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2016
Hi guys I was wondering if you could help me. I am trying to fix my helix hx-4636 boom box. I have a black wire that came unattached and I cannot figure out where it connects to. See attached. It's long enough to connect to the small board near the power source. I've attached pics of both ends. In the first photo I am pointing to the wire I am trying to attach at the other end. Thanks.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.