Has anyone else had problems with the auto stop belt? (Also general struggles with this box) (rx-5050)

mu1sic2ian3

Jan 27, 2024
Usa
I was wondering if any rx-5050 owners have had troubles with the auto stop belt system?

No matter what I do, if I put the auto stop belt on, the box will play for a few seconds and then stop.

Also, when this happens sometimes the play button doesn't completely disengage and then you cant get the door open because the stop button will no longer lift the hook that holds the door closed.

Also, I seem to struggle to get the belts on in general, the weird system of having 2 belts hooked directly to the motor is a pain in the butt. Having to try and keep the belts on while
putting the motor chassis back together is driving me nuts. I've had several times now where the belts seem to be seated well, I can then play a tape for a few minutes and then main drive belt will start to slip off and eventually fall off completely. The pulley that holds the main drive belt is a very strange shape.

I'm about to give up on this box, it stinks though because the one I picked up seems like it was really taken care of and if I just cleaned it up a bit it would be in really nice physical condition, but at this point its not even worth is with all the struggles I've been experiencing.

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
With an old mech sometimes you need to use tighter belts due to wear and tear and age. You can experiment with different length belts to see if it improves. When reassembling you can park the belts on random points to maintain tension on the pulleys. I use bicycle spokes as they have a hook but no sharp edges.

Reactions: mu1sic2ian3