GPO Brooklyn Speaker Fault

Marko Libre

Mar 27, 2024
Glasgow
Hello all, new member as I found a GPO Brooklyn Boombox that reminded me of my youth.

It came without a charger so I bought a replacement with suitable voltage, amps and power.

The boombox lights up, offers the option of radio, tape, CD and bluetooth but it has no sound. I've tried headphones and they work ok.

I've opened up the unit but no obvious issues, everything seems to be connected.

Would anyone be able to offer any suggestions?

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
You could try another bass speaker, if that doesn't work it's probably the amp chip, which unfortunately is surface mounted so i'd say it would be difficult to replace. i have a Brooklyn Box, i hate it, poor Quality. not very loud, not very bassy. i never use it. i'm not saying that to put you down or disrespect you, i'm just letting you know my experience with the box. but just try another bass speaker before you try anything else. report back and let us know how it goes

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
These little D class amps are voltage sensitive so someone may have used the the wrong power supply and blew the chip. You say the head phones are working so you could use the Preamp feed and add a cheap mini amp and bypass the old one.

Reactions: floyd