GPO box feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Reli said:
Well it's the best-looking boombox on the market right now......aside from the tweeters that look like Mickey Mouse ears
What you got against Mickey Mouse??? Lol. Yeah I agree it's probably the best looker currently.

Ferguson3T18

Member (SA)
Nov 11, 2017
Mid Wales, UK
T-STER said:
Jimmy is right, at the £250 price point these would cost under 100 quid to make, this is not a lot for all the features.
I spoke to a guy who had purchased one on YouTube comments, he said it's very poorly built and the deck is very plasticy and stopped working after 6 weeks. Bluetooth is good and connects well but is not very powerful so doesn't get loud.
I have asked about a stockists near me so I can demo one.
I don't think anyone makes a decent cassette transport anymore especially on portables which is a pity. Curry's say this BB is 80 watts, really???? More like 8 watts I recon. If it is not very loud I wonder if the sound quality is any good? If the sound was good it might be worth having if a decent tape player is not needed, but I don't see a mono button for FM so I think I will pass because the FM signal is poor where I live and any radio I own must have a mono option.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
T-STER said:
Jimmy is right, at the £250 price point these would cost under 100 quid to make, this is not a lot for all the features.

I spoke to a guy who had purchased one on YouTube comments, he said it's very poorly built and the deck is very plasticy and stopped working after 6 weeks. Bluetooth is good and connects well but is not very powerful so doesn't get loud.

can cross that of my list then, have no intention of buying something that only lasts 6 weeks lol

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Lots of modern radios have cassette decks, but when you actually play a tape in them, you see why they're so cheap. The frequency response is very narrow, the wow & flutter is bad. Also their internal parts are made of plastic or thin pot metal. A far cry from the thick zinc-plated parts of the early 80's.

During the 90's and 00's I owned several "shelf component systems" from Panasonic and Technics and JVC, and none of those decks were very good either. The Kaboom deck isn't all that great either. It's nowhere near as good as the deck in an M90 or even just an M70.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
totally agree Reli, they have had lots of trouble even with the bumpboxx, i don't think anything new is worth buying imho....just had an m70 and it still works like new....makes me feel old lol

c bank

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
Manchester UK
delete

Ferguson3T18 said:
I don't think anyone makes a decent cassette transport anymore especially on portables which is a pity. Curry's say this BB is 80 watts, really???? More like 8 watts I recon. If it is not very loud I wonder if the sound quality is any good? If the sound was good it might be worth having if a decent tape player is not needed, but I don't see a mono button for FM so I think I will pass because the FM signal is poor where I live and any radio I own must have a mono option.
... it does have DAB. whats the DAB signal like near you ?

what i find ODD is the GPO brand and logo. In the UK, this was used to be General Post Office later Royal Mail.... even the logo is the same :yes:

Ferguson3T18

Member (SA)
Nov 11, 2017
Mid Wales, UK
delete
Ferguson3T18 said:
... it does have DAB. whats the DAB signal like near you ?

what i find ODD is the GPO brand and logo. In the UK, this was used to be General Post Office later Royal Mail.... even the logo is the same :yes:
I cannot get DAB or Freeview because of the hill and trees behind the house. Anyway I rarely see any love for DAB even if it works, low bitrates and many stations are mono anyway.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
I'm going to try to get my hands on one to review in the new year so lets hold judgement until then.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I agree let's wait till somebody we know and trust tells us the real deal , that's good enough for me.
Luckily I'm too poor to be impulsive lol.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
I feel the same way. If nobody here has one then I personally don't have any opinion whether it's junk or not.

I know it looks pretty cool though, impressive styling even if it is near identical to the 920. For me that's a good start.

c bank

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
Manchester UK
T-STER said:
I'm going to try to get my hands on one to review in the new year so lets hold judgement until then.
Cool !

as i said in my earlier post, with todays tech there is no reason why this shouldn't sound great. have you heard the sound that comers from those little little beats pil speakers ? not exactly HIFI but astonishing given the size.

from the promo vid this looks to be a medium sized unit and from the ariel shot at 11 seconds the box looks pretty thick/deep ? plenty of room for a chunky amp/speakers :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_CktZVDD6E

Having said that, i seriously doubt the build quality is gonna be up to cthe boomboxes of the 80's. i hope to be proven wrong :yes:

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
c bank said:
as i said in my earlier post, with todays tech there is no reason why this shouldn't sound great. have you heard the sound that comers from those little little beats pil speakers ? not exactly HIFI but astonishing given the size.

:yes:
The reason those pills sound good is because they were built with thick solid materials, and they're small anyway, so there isn't much chance of the plastic flexing and resonating and sounding boxy and crappy. Not so with this GPO. It's big and boxy, so it will sound like crap unless proper internal braces and plastic densities were used, like what Aiwa did to the EXOS-9.

The reason the Aiwa sounds so good is because they put all their money into the amps, speakers, and internal structure & bracing, rather than chrome trim, LED's, CD player, tape deck, tuner, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.