Gold Conion in Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Not sure if anyone would want to see this but I decided to get out my Gold Conion C100F. I know these are rare but that doesn't stop me from using it all the time. I take it outside when washing the car and just about anywhere I don't feel it will be put in jeopardy :-) That's what they're for right? :-)

While listening to a tape I whipped out the cell phone and decided to take the first HD video of this thing. It's 100% functional but not aesthetically perfect as the speaker grills are slightly dented (break dancing moves too close to the box) and the original lower cassette storage tray front trim was missing and the sliders and spring needed to be repaired from shoulder carrying. I feel this adds character IMO and represents cool marks of historical events of it's era. This box was used on the streets in NY. Being carried on the shoulders naturally hurts the storage tray (now repaired to working order again).

Anyway it is a street survivor and if anyone wants to download or watch this video of it in operation, feel free and enjoy :-)

This file is 432MB in size and is a MP4 format in HD. It is located in my dropbox account and available for download and viewing by using this link. I believe the dropbox account will allow anyone to view a portion of the video without downloading.

Folks who love the Gold Conion C-100F will love this :-) Link Below
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fivsmi9riofw7hl/20150612_162350.mp4?dl=0

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Thanks everyone. While I had it out I decided to find a way to clean the pinch rollers on Tape 2. They really needed it. They're usually dirty because they are very hard to get to but I did it. I figured out how to get the player to play without a tape in it and used a q-tip with needle nosed pliers to get in there and get the tape path clean. Greatly reduced wow and flutter. Now a guitar sounds like a guitar again.

It's nice to see the positive remarks. I didn't realize it would be considered in that good of shape. I was thinking fair shape so that's good to hear :-) At one time I thought of replacing the speaker grills but I didn't want to ruin the patina.

While the Conion C100 is cool, its sheer size keeps it at bay around the house mostly. This might sound silly but the box I have enjoyed the most is a smaller GE 3-5267A. Its not an icon box that's recognized around the globe but it was my first serious machine in HS and it has a special place in my heart with the memories. I did everything from making mixed tape after tape on that thing to soft music when my GF's were over..(grin). For me everything materialistic only is valuable due to the people and memories associated with it. They tie us back to that special place in time. But I use them and make new memories every chance I get.

I took my GE to the Outer Banks in Duck N.C. (not down to the sand!!! No way!). At the party I got thumbs up after thumbs up. It was fantastic to see peoples reaction. I thought people would just think I was weird but they Loved it.

The next morning was when I took these pictures at the beach house. Everyone was still holding their heads in bed and shielding their eyes from the morning light..haha. Chalk another memory up for this little box :-)

Party.jpg

Pool.jpg

Size Comparison

Comparison.jpg

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Looking back on this post makes me want to go on vacation again. What a wonderful time.....sigh :surf:

One thing I noticed was being close to the beach and the salty air will cause any static on control knobs to get much worse. Carry a can of Deoxit with you...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.