GF 868 capstan motor always on

zarman11

Apr 4, 2024
Toronto

1. I have a problem with the power switch. It's stuck on ON and wont turn off.
2. Capstan motor on left tape is always spinning and causing a clicking noise as in the video. Only way to stop clicking is by hitting pause or playing a tape which it does just fine.

I wonder if the power button is causing my capstan motor to always run? Any thoughts? Thanks

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
Yes the power should be off, and when you press a key it should move a plate and that will push a micro switch to power up the motor, Check the micro switch within the deck, it might be bent closed. making the motor run all the time. just straighten it out and open it back up and it should be ok..

Reactions: zarman11

zarman11

Apr 4, 2024
Toronto
Yes the power should be off, and when you press a key it should move a plate and that will push a micro switch to power up the motor, Check the micro switch within the deck, it might be bent closed. making the motor run all the time. just straighten it out and open it back up and it should be ok..
Yes that was what I was looking for initially. I can see beneath the buttons there are metal contacts which press together. All are open. I cannot find the one which turns the motor on. I will look closer. Thanks