getting a lasonic i931

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
right on man! only i am going to drill about 50 1/4 inch holes in the sides of the sealed chambers inside the box to vent the cabinets and keep it strong cuz the cabinet is very solid.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Wow, that thing looks like it's made of black chrome it's so shiny! :-) Let us know how the drilled holes affect the sound. :yes:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
this box is loud the bass hits good but you have to crank it up loud because of the small enclosures and no box stuffing i think i will put some poly fill in the cabinets first because that will smooth out the bass response a bit , plenty of power from this box and the highs seem clear and undistorted even up loud ,the cabinet is very rigid with no creaking or vibrations at all ,fm reception is kinda crappy so i might try to do dual antennas some how . at first i thought the knobs and buttons were cheap but after using them a bit the seemed fine , i would have to rate this box above average for lasonic build quality wise , the big question i guess is it worth the money , in my opinion yes its a decent box that goes loud and has decent sound and cool looks for about 170 bucks delivered besides a kaboom i cant think of any other modern box i would want.

Jovie

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Your idea of drilling holes is brilliant ! If you can (success or not),please find time to take some pictures of whatever changes you make.It would be an interesting read. :yes:

MONOLITHIC

No Longer Active
May 6, 2009
Illadelph, East Coast
twitter.com
I love the looks of that shiny black Lasonic waaaaay more the one I had! :cool:

To me, the highs and mids of the i931 are better than Lasonics of the past... Volume is great up to 34. From 35 to 40, you're in distortion territory, but it still sounds better than most boxes at that volume level. :yes:

I'm sure after you perforate the woofer baffles, it'll sound much better, the woofers'll start to move more freely like the old Lasonics, and you'll get that extra kick that the box (in it's unaltered state) currently lacks. :yes:

Let us know how it all works out! ;-)

Again, congratulations! :cool:

WEYLAND/YUTANI CORP

Member (SA)
May 15, 2009
ST HELIERS,AUCKLAND,NEW ZEALAND
Gluecifer said:
Congratulations JVC Floyd, if anyone can make it a powerhouse it's your good self.

After Mono's findings and improvements I've been considering whether I should get one too...
The logistics of getting one in .au is a big issue of course, so importing would be the only option, if they
were available locally I'd have bought one asap though. But i do have the ipod nano it was designed
for and it sits around doing bugger all currently..

Would look pretty rockin in an i931...
I guess I'll just wait and see what opportunities arise.
Hey Rick I can hook you up with the guy here who claims to be the Australasia distributer. He was excellent to deal with. My first one had a fault and he replaced it very quickly.

Rock On.

2steppa

Member (SA)
May 11, 2009
Sunny Eastern England
I'd love one of these, they can be picked up cheap-ish using 'Buy It Now' I've noticed but the shipping to the UK would be the killer, probably 150 dollars at least :-/ (ie. More than the cost of the unit).

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Dahone said:
Aeh Yo Floyd,

Any updates on your modification project?
Please post any pics of the process if you may.
I have a i931 and have wondered what it's full potential could be.

Thanks..
DAH the newbie.
I too am interested in an update!

I have to say, this thread has given me some real interest in owning one of these radios :yes:

I wonder what would happen if you cut a large port in the back of the cabinet behind each speaker and put a tube in there like on a car bass cabinet.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
the update is i haven't done a damn thing to it :lol: , i did notice that the bass improves when the back cabinet is removed so i think venting the woofer enclosures or eliminating them all together by cutting the internal chambers away allowing the woofers to move more freely with less volume ,sealed boxes like the ones in the i931 require a lot more power to drive the woofers.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
JVC Floyd said:
the update is i haven't done a damn thing to it :lol: , i did notice that the bass improves when the back cabinet is removed so i think venting the woofer enclosures or eliminating them all together by cutting the internal chambers away allowing the woofers to move more freely with less volume ,sealed boxes like the ones in the i931 require a lot more power to drive the woofers.
Thanks for the honesty! :lol: :lol: :-P

Interesting how those are designed! Well, we'll bug you again in a few months! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.