General questions about Sharp GF-777H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpy

Member (SA)
May 4, 2018
Vienna
Hi Guys.

I`m new to this forum so I introduce myself first.
I`m Michael from Vienna Austria and a child of the 80ies.
I recently discovered a passion for Boomboxes of my childhood and teenage years and got my hands on a Sharp GF-777H.
Now I want to start with a few general questions I have about this beautiful machine.
Maybe someone with a GF-777H can help me before I open up the box und start the renovation.

1. What does the H mean? I have seen different Sharp Boomboxes with either the H or the Z at the end.

2. When I search for pictures of this Box I noticed that most of the pictures show the machine with black speakers. Mine are brown. Is this because of the age of the Box or are the speakers not original anymore? I attached 2 pictures of my box.

3. Both of my Super Woofers miss the chrome dust caps. Is there any chance to get them as a spare part so I can glue them back on? Does anybody known which dust caps I need exactly? Diameter etc..

4. The normal woofers have no dust cap at all. Is this normal?

5. On my box there is something written on the top with a waterproof marker pen (Edding)
Does somebody know how to remove this without doing any damage to the plastic housing?

6. Was there any rubber or something similar in the stands at the bottom of the box to improve the stand? Mine feels a bit shaky.

I hope someone can help me with my beginner questions :-) Thanks to all you Boombox enthusiasts.

Cheers
Michael

Attachments

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
The speakers are original, just faded. It's going to be hard if not impossible to find dust caps for those center woofers unless you just put on a different pair. These boxes get a little wobbly because they're just not all that thick - never seen one with rubber feet from the factory usually it's just plastic feet.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Yeh they look original to me, just faded as Floyd says. They all should have chrome caps. You can sometimes get them on eBay or salvage them from other speakers. The H end letter denotes the world region it was distributed in. Try a bit of isopropyl alcohol on the marker pen, just watch it doesn’t remove the paint. Try it somewhere not visible first.

Oh and congrats on an awesome box :-)

Sharpy

Member (SA)
May 4, 2018
Vienna
Thanks a lot JVC Floyd and Notherner.

That helps a lot. Hope I can find the dust caps somewhere.
The Box looks much nicer with the Chrome Caps are on.

Greetings from Vienna.
Michael

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Yep definitely needs the caps. I used speakers from a 9191 on my beater 777. Or it might have been an 8989? Cheaper common boxes anyway that can easily be found

nikonfoo

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
most already answered
yes the inside have chrome dust caps and outer have cloth smaller dust caps
they fade as you see where the dust caps were
regarding replacements should be rated at 8w
you can find dust caps on ebay but unfortunately not chromed

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
Hi.
You must disassemble boombox carefully.
Remove speakers, spray with black.
Check measures of caps before buy.
Maybe, they are fit for your speakers: [ebay]192144072604[/ebay]
Spray with grey or similar color and carefully glue to speakers
You can find super woofer knob here: [ebay]323230416308[/ebay]
Usually boombox need good cleaning, spray all pots, replacing belts and other restoration.
Goodluck.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Sharpy said:
1. What does the H mean? I have seen different Sharp Boomboxes with either the H or the Z at the end.

2. When I search for pictures of this Box I noticed that most of the pictures show the machine with black speakers. Mine are brown. Is this because of the age of the Box or are the speakers not original anymore? I attached 2 pictures of my box.

3. Both of my Super Woofers miss the chrome dust caps. Is there any chance to get them as a spare part so I can glue them back on? Does anybody known which dust caps I need exactly? Diameter etc..

4. The normal woofers have no dust cap at all. Is this normal?

5. On my box there is something written on the top with a waterproof marker pen (Edding)
Does somebody know how to remove this without doing any damage to the plastic housing?

6. Was there any rubber or something similar in the stands at the bottom of the box to improve the stand? Mine feels a bit shaky.

I hope someone can help me with my beginner questions :-) Thanks to all you Boombox enthusiasts.

Cheers
Michael
1) The letter H signifies that the boombox is for the European market

2) Speakers are faded. There are topics here with tips on respraying speakers - use the search box to find them

3) Best chance is ebay unless you can find replacements using another Sharp boombox

4) Correct - the woofers on the edges of a GF-777 have no chrome dust caps

5) I would suggest trying a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser or something similar before trying anything else

6) No

nikonfoo

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
dont spray them
use black ink if anything
I use Japanese calligraphy ink
but i think any type of ink will work

Sharpy

Member (SA)
May 4, 2018
Vienna
Thanks nikonfoo and goodman.

Man. I didn`t know that the dust caps will be a challenge to replace.
Nikonfoo I think I bought some spare parts from you over e-bay a few days ago.
Any dust caps lying around in your warehouse? ;-)

nikonfoo

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
4) I dont know the 777 so well but the 909 has dust caps on the outside woofers
__382.jpg

Sharpy

Member (SA)
May 4, 2018
Vienna
Thanks Fatdog.

Is it easier to get replacment speakers than dust caps?
I like the look of the brown speakers (except the missing dust caps of course)
Maybe I let them as they are if there is no difference in sound quality.

OK. This cloth dust caps looks even more difficult to get. :bang:

nikonfoo

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
sorry didn't realize you maybe have a different name on eBay
ah got it you bought 3 items thanks
Sorry no I dont have any
And I only have 909 speakers so black dust cover in the center
and cloth on the outside

yes really i dont think any different in sound quality
and i agree i like the faded look

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
nikonfoo said:
I don't know the 777 so well but the 909 has dust caps on the outside woofers
Thanks for pointing out the confusion on that, Geoff. I was speaking specifically about no chrome dust caps. I have edited my previous post to say that. :yes: :cool:

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Sharpy, here is an ebay link for a seller known as sicken4you:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dust-Cap-Lautsprecher-Staubkappen-verchromt-CVC-65/183122769622?hash=item2aa2f7b6d6:g:vlsAAOSw2xRYhw4y

There is also a seller known as speakerparts:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/chrome-speaker-dust-cap-high-quality-Chrom-Lautsprecher-Staubkappe-C51/122703140673?hash=item1c91ad5741:g:Xm0AAOSw1LRZuM0k

He appears to have several sizes of chrome dust caps. Maybe contact him and see if he has the exact size for the GF-777.

By the way, I have never dealt with either of the sellers.

Sharpy

Member (SA)
May 4, 2018
Vienna
Thanks alot Fatdog.
I saved both in my watch list and will contact them in the evening today.
Now I just need to measure the exact diameter of both caps but I am still at work.
Does anyone maybe have them handy?

nikonfoo

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
cheers Fatdog I am a little sleepy had me doubting myself there |-)
I think the inside are 55mm outside 30mm
Not sure how they measure is it the down size of the cone or the outside of the v up
will be interesting to see if this guy has them I would be interested too
s-l1600.jpg

Sharpy

Member (SA)
May 4, 2018
Vienna
At the moment i say thanks to all of you. You are a great community. Hope to become a part of it.
I will let you all know if I found some caps that fit my GF-777`s outer and inner speakers.
Now I have to contact all sellers of caps. This is my main mission for the next few days.

You guys will hear from me.
Servus

nikonfoo

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
:rock: :clap:
GET TOO IT !!
▀▄█▓▒░Save a BOOMBOX Change the World░▒▓█▀▄▀▄

Status
Not open for further replies.