General Electric 3-5286A "NEWBIE"

BennyVDUB

Member (SA)
Jan 25, 2020
ASHEVILLE, NC USA
I have a 3-5286A that has a gear for the rewind and forward that Im struggling to understand and repair. When the rewind and forward is pressed the gear has an internal spring that pops up and then the gear pin pulls out of actuator hole. When it does this the drive wheel binds and will not spin. I have several times removed the main wheel and put the gear back in but I have to press the three piece gear back together just right or the spring wants to pop up. If i compress the three pieces just right the spring stays compressed and I can put the gear back into the mechanism. Then putting in the large drive wheel. When I hit play then everything is good. When I push rewind its fine until i hit stop. When stop is pressed the gear pops up out of the actuator hole and binds with the main drive wheel. Im not sure if theres something missing or if something has broken off. I know Im not using the right terms but this is my first repair.

Benny

Attachments

stragulus

Member (SA)
Sep 4, 2014
New York
I have the same issue with my 3-5286A today after I cleaned and regreased the mechanism and rebelted it. This gear is a clutch assembly, and I'm pretty sure the spring-loaded top gear is not supposed to come off. It is put on the bottom gear not unlike lego pieces are by pressing them together. However the top gear probably is slightly cracked (mine is) and therefore it won't stay in place anymore due to the force of the spring. This is probably the end of the mechanism. I hate how they design these mechanisms with all these heavy steel parts and then put some stupid brittle plastic gear in it that ruins it all.

I'm glueing mine together with epoxy but I have 0 hope that will last beyond a single play session.

EDIT: my deck also had the dreaded yellow grease all over the place that had hardened to the point that you couldn't even press the piano keys anymore. Spent a considerable amount of cleaning all that off and regreasing, all for naught :/