General Electric 3-5257A

x39363440845

May 5, 2021
USA
I recently found a General Electric 3-5257A in a garbage pile. The thing was so caked in nicotine and grime. Although the outside was absolutely filthy, the inside was pretty clean. The record button had broken off but a little superglue solved that problem. Three small parts fell out when I opened it up. I'll include a picture of them, I have no idea where they came from or where they should go back. Maybe if someone has one of these laying around you could snap a picture of where to put them? Also there is a horrible buzz coming from the speakers when I press play on the tape deck, with or without a cassette. The buzz gets louder as I turn the volume up, quieter when I turn it down. I appreciate any help you can give me, I am very new to this lol. If you need more pictures I will happily post them here.

Attachments

stynger007

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
The Great White North Canada
I recently found a General Electric 3-5257A in a garbage pile. The thing was so caked in nicotine and grime. Although the outside was absolutely filthy, the inside was pretty clean. The record button had broken off but a little superglue solved that problem. Three small parts fell out when I opened it up. I'll include a picture of them, I have no idea where they came from or where they should go back. Maybe if someone has one of these laying around you could snap a picture of where to put them? Also there is a horrible buzz coming from the speakers when I press play on the tape deck, with or without a cassette. The buzz gets louder as I turn the volume up, quieter when I turn it down. I appreciate any help you can give me, I am very new to this lol. If you need more pictures I will happily post them here.
Recently did some work on a 3-5286a . A gear , spring and a pushpin were off. In this picture, the lever that it pushes into was cracked. The pin would not stay in to hold the gear and spring. The parts you show are similar, and need to be fit into a spot where the pin can press into. The nylon part would go face down, then the spring, then the pushpin to hold it in.thumbnail.jpg

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Yes agreed with both above, it is used on the pause function. If it won't stay in with the push pin and spring, you may need to glue the pivot mount taking care not to get excessive glue on the inside where the push pin goes into.

Reactions: stynger007

x39363440845

May 5, 2021
USA
I did it! Thank you all so much for your help! It was the pause button. The spring placement seems mechanically counterproductive to me, but whatever, it works lol. Now to solve the buzzing coming from the speakers when I press play. I have a suspicion that it's a certain connection that looked a little toasty (I've included a picture of that also.)

Attachments

stynger007

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
The Great White North Canada
I did it! Thank you all so much for your help! It was the pause button. The spring placement seems mechanically counterproductive to me, but whatever, it works lol. Now to solve the buzzing coming from the speakers when I press play. I have a suspicion that it's a certain connection that looked a little toasty (I've included a picture of that also.)
Record slider mechanism. Clean and lubricate using a switch and contact cleaner work it in by hand. Goodman nailed it. Kudos to Him.