GE 3-5280 Mono, Function Switch

LM49

Feb 8, 2021
Southern California
I have a 5280 that needs a good cleaning of the pots and switches. I've peeked inside and it seems like switch and pot access may be fairly complex. I do not believe the front panel comes off like the 3-5286. It looks like it may require a complete disassembly from the back. Am I correct in my assumption?

Also, do the antenna leads need to be de-soldered from the back cover or is there a trick to releasing the screw terminals from the plastic housing?

I'm certain I will have more questions as I get deeper into this. I've hunted for a service manual but have not been successful.

Thank you in advance
-Mike

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Those toggle switches are troublesome you can clean with contact cleaner but that's just a temporary fix. You really need to remove the from the pcb crack open to access the internal contacts. The rotary pots are easier to work on. With full disassembly you can get them to sing once again.

LM49

Feb 8, 2021
Southern California
Thanks Hopey. I saw a write-up about those toggle switches and will take a really close look at them once I access them.

The main switch that I need to access is the function slider [tape/radio/sleep] right in the middle. It's fidgety and needs to be wiggled to get clear sound on the radio. The toggles and pots seem to be okay but I will clean everything once I get that deep into the disassembly. I may wait until I can source a junk/parts donor so I don't ruin an otherwise very nice unit.

Does anyone know where I can find manuals or schematics for the 2-5280?

LM49

Feb 8, 2021
Southern California
I haven't had time to really get into this yet but there was something metallic rattling inside the case. When I opened it up one of these leaf-springs fell out and I found another one stuck to the speaker magnet. It took me a while to figure out what they are and where they go.
I believe these go inside the cassette guides on the door (at least they fit real nice there). It looks like they were attached with plastic melt rivets which have broken. As far as function; they seem to prevent the tape from rattling when the door is closed. In the second photo you can see one that I put back in place.
My questions are:
1) Are my assumptions correct?
2) How important are these? (it seems to work pretty good without them)
3) Would a little bit of JB Weld be the best way to re-secure them?
4) Can anyone tell me how to remove the door? I can JB Weld them in place but I could do a much better job with the door off.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
-Mike

Attachments

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
The recently received GE Blockbuster box had noisy/crackly pots. Contact cleaner cleaned them up and they all operate fine now. You need to remove the main assembly from the rear casing and turn it upside down to get the contact cleaner spray bottle nozzle in a good position. I didn’t need to remove the tuner panel etc to get access.

Reactions: LM49