GE 3-5259A Blockbuster Vu Meter Needle and Mechanism Help

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
Is it possible to transplant a single vu meter needle and mechanism from a similar VU Meter from another donor machine to the Blockbuster. The donor machine is a Sharp box but the needle and mechanism look almost identical.

I murdered one of my box’s vu needle and mechanism trying to adjust it.

Please tell me they come out and can be transplanted.

Thanks!

G-

Superduper

Member (SA)
No. Transplant an entire VU meter, possibly. Removing the coil? Nope, you'll probably destroy the donor one too in the process. Plus you have no idea what the specs are for the spare VU. All VU needles and mechanism look almost identical but the mv rating might be completely off.

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
No. Transplant an entire VU meter, possibly. Removing the coil? Nope, you'll probably destroy the donor one too in the process. Plus you have no idea what the specs are for the spare VU. All VU needles and mechanism look almost identical but the mv rating might be completely off.
Ohhh, holy h-e-double hockey sticks! I have my original needle sans the hair spring and it is in good shape. Any chance an expert could put humpty dumpty back together with the donor hair spring?

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
Ohhh, holy h-e-double hockey sticks! I have my original needle sans the hair spring and it is in good shape. Any chance an expert could put humpty dumpty back together with the donor hair spring?
I need another miracle after finding my tape counter reset button. Praying..

Superduper

Member (SA)
I do not know of any "experts". Meters are not intended to be serviceable internally. They fail, you replace, the whole assembly. Same with cassette motors. When you get a service manual, there are no parts listings for the innards of either of these. Parts are broke down to the motor or meter only. BTW, the spring is required to "park" the meter needle. Meters are really just tiny motors. Electric current makes the motor spin against the tension of the spring, and when there is no more current, the spring will bring the needle back to zero. As you've discovered, the spring is very fragile. Perhaps with enough practice, YOU can be the expert but you might trash a lot of meters in the process. Unfortunately, there isn't a high demand for this skill. Fortunately, rarely do meters fail.

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
I do not know of any "experts". Meters are not intended to be serviceable internally. They fail, you replace, the whole assembly. Same with cassette motors. When you get a service manual, there are no parts listings for the innards of either of these. Parts are broke down to the motor or meter only. BTW, the spring is required to "park" the meter needle. Meters are really just tiny motors. Electric current makes the motor spin against the tension of the spring, and when there is no more current, the spring will bring the needle back to zero. As you've discovered, the spring is very fragile. Perhaps with enough practice, YOU can be the expert but you might trash a lot of meters in the process. Unfortunately, there isn't a high demand for this skill. Fortunately, rarely do meters fail.
Thank you for the hard news I will look for a complete meter. I just learned a lot, thank you!

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
I replaced both of mine a few years back because one of them was dead.
I bought some cheap meters (from eBay (China), I believe) and transplanted them into the original housings.
I remember the bodies (coils) were slightly larger so I had to hack away at the original plastic housings.
I believe the bottom pieces of plastic were the only ones I left, they temporarily located the meters while I rebuilt the rest of the housings around them.
Unfortunately, I don't have pics of the process, just some from when I posted it for sale.
It was very delicate work and definitely not an easy job but they did turn out pretty nice.
The only difference was that they were orange instead of white.
I tried a to paint them but believe it or not, the paint was too heavy and they would barely move so I had to remove it and just left them orange.
I ended up selling it and took pics of the meters in action because I noted that they were not the originals.
My phone has these under the November 2019 file which seems about right.
I did consider if buying random meters would work correctly but it was a shot that I was willing to take.
Since you have your donor meters in hand, you can temporarily wire them up to the 5259 and see if they respond correctly before attempting the transplant.
The bodies of the meters are held in by friction so if yours are the same size, they may slide right in (you'd have to be really lucky for that to happen).
If they're too big, you'll have to do what I did, if too small, you might have to wedge and/or glue them into the housings.
I bought my 5259 with the dead meter not knowing what I was in for and wouldn't buy another one with this problem after my experience.
The only way I'd do this job again would be if one of my current boxes had a meter die.

IMG_20191130_163906736.jpg
IMG_20191130_164557041.jpg
IMG_20191130_165749621.jpg
IMG_20191130_165939386.jpg

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2022
Salinas, CA
Hi Tinman,

Do you remember the meter replacements you got from China that worked? I tried a version but they didn’t work. I am hoping you remember and can point me to the meters .

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
After writing my response above, I actually found some that looked exactly like the ones I used and had them in my eBay watch list for a while in case you wanted to know but deleted them recently.
They're very generic and are sold by a bunch of vendors from China.
I wish you could look up old orders on eBay like you can on Amazon.
I'll look for them and get back to you.

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
I tried sending you a pm but I don't know how to include a picture in them so here it is.
s-l500.jpg

Last edited: