'Funken 1M Ear to Ear Grin

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
Had an awesome mini-meet today with member styleking.
I've had my eye on his Telefunken HiFi Studio 1M since we met a few years ago.
Well, I have it now. We executed a trade and I think we both did absolutely A.O.K.
I'll (we'll) elaborate more a little later, but I'm up well past my bedtime and I'm still infatuated with this thing after about 3+ years of wanting one. Needs very little TLC to get it up to "Top Shelf" status, but it won't stop me from enjoying the HiFi-esque sound that keeps flowing out of these speakers in the meantime.

This is my happy face: :-D :-D :-D

20160814_215312.jpg

Jerry, you're the Man, but you already knew that. A million thanks. :smooch:
I can't help but gloat - I love this thing and never thought I'd have one.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Awesome!!! Definitely miss my studio 1. They are the best sounding units I've ever heard and built like a machine😎👍👍👍👍

Bad Boy Bill

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
These are classy looking machines, not heard one yet but its on the list.

Farking big list now to!

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
This box is a real HI-FI unit, a joy for the ears -- which explains your ear-to-ear grin, I guess :-) Compared to it, other top of the line boxes sound like toys. Of course we're all into boomers for reasons other than just sound quality. But, sound-wise, the 1M has hardly a rival among classic boomboxes.

In a way, comparison is unfair. The 1M was undoubtedly created for indoor use: think of the quality build, think of the wonderful finishes, think of the name ("Studio") & weigh: unless you are a culturist you wouldn't dare carrying this beast around! Yes, it has a handle and runs also on batteries, But the real deal is to plug it in and turn it on: it's a powerhouse and yet it is endowed with crystal-clear sound, unbeliavably well-defined highs and more basses than the speakers can handle.

So maybe it is debatable weather the Funky is a real boombox or not. But is it important, since it's definitely preferable to get yourself one? Congratulations superlew, you did the right thing! :-)

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
hottest_garble said:
This box is a real HI-FI unit, a joy for the ears -- which explains your ear-to-ear grin, I guess :-) Compared to it, other top of the line boxes sound like toys. Of course we're all into boomers for reasons other than just sound quality. But, sound-wise, the 1M has hardly a rival among classic boomboxes.

In a way, comparison is unfair. The 1M was undoubtedly created for indoor use: think of the quality build, think of the wonderful finishes, think of the name ("Studio") & weigh: unless you are a culturist you wouldn't dare carrying this beast around! Yes, it has a handle and runs also on batteries, But the real deal is to plug it in and turn it on: it's a powerhouse and yet it is endowed with crystal-clear sound, unbeliavably well-defined highs and more basses than the speakers can handle.

So maybe it is debatable weather the Funky is a real boombox or not. But is it important, since it's definitely preferable to get yourself one? Congratulations superlew, you did the right thing! :-)
I've heard on many occasions that the Funky sounds great but I wasn't aware that it is true HiFi!!!!!! Gotta get me a listen of one of these gems.

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
Thanks guys!
It doesn't need too too much. Just a little TLC to get it where I want it. It doesn't have a battery cover, so I'm thinking of trying my hand at fabbing a functional one with aluminum. Yeah, I'm kinda stealing Chris' technique, but he gets full credit for the innovation. We'll see how it turns out. I've got another project to wrap up before I dig into it, but I'll keep everyone updated.

Reli said:
Sony FH-215 and Pioneer CK11 are the only things that can beat it, IMO
Do I smell a comparison video coming??? :popcorn:

Styleking

Member (SA)
Mar 16, 2011
Boston, MA.
Always a pleasure hanging out with my man Aram! Had some great food and great drinks and a great time! Enjoy the Studio 1M as I know I will enjoy the TDK!

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
I've heard on many occasions that the Funky sounds great but I wasn't aware that it is true HiFi!!!!!! Gotta get me a listen of one of these gems.
Yes I know it for a fact. According to German DIN specifications (DIN is an acronym for Deutsches Institut fuer Normung), the Studio 1M is a DIN 45500, ie, a certified HI-FI unit.

I agree with you, it doesn't sound great on batteries. You need to plug it in to appreciate how crisp and powerful the sound is. So much so that speakers have a very hard time to contain the power at high volumes.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
30 watts per channel ain't nothing to sniff at. And that's real watts, not "music power" bullsheit.

Plus that's at only 0.5% distortion. If they had tested it at 10% distortion like most manufacturers do, they probably could have measured 40+ watts per channel

Front faceplate gets warm as hell

hemiguy2006

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Hands down one of the best units I have had the privilege of owning!!!
Congrats on that. She is a beaut