Do people really believe "NOS new in box"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squablow

Member (SA)
Similar in the old car world, many people use search terms and acronyms like NOS or original with no real idea what that means, they just know it'll drive searches to their items.

That is a damn cool box though, and if the buyer really followed through with the sale price, it's cool to see the hobby being that strong, that someone would shell out tall money for that because of the originality and the box.

As much as I love to find these things for pennies at rummage sales and thrift stores, it's also good to see there's a good strong market for these things. What if someone would have found that same box, threw away the carton and started using it on a construction site or something because there wasn't enough resale value to make it worth much? That would have been a shame, and I'm pretty sure that's the fate of many of these boxes in the past.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Looking at my collection right now, I am stuck with a quandary.

I have two, brand new Lasonic 931BT. They are in their boxes. The question is, how to properly display them? If I pull them from the box, what do I do with the box? Do I set the radio on the box? next to the box? The box is obviously bigger than the radio so they more then double the space needed to display them properly.

How do you display these NIB radios?

Keep the radio in the box?

If you do, how do people see your "Super Pristine, Queen of your collection" radio?

Superduper

Member (SA)
Keep it in the box in the closet to keep it NIB, or remove and display it under a custom made acrylic display like you see for models. Otherwise it will become like all the other "used" albeit "nice-used" examples. Dust has a way of working into all the fine nooks and crannies, even if (and especially if) put on the top rack of a shelf away from curious hands.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Well I agree it's tight, but it doesn't go low at all. I bet those speakers don't go below 90-100 Hz. Hell, even a little TPR-950 sounds a lot deeper.

Shouldn't a good boombox be able to produce as broad a frequency range as possible?

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
A lot depends on what kind of music we're listening to, and why. For instance, street boomers need loud tight basses to make us dance to the music when we're outdoor. Like most boomboxes, they were not conceived for classical music or other genres such as opera and certain folk and pop songs.

I agree with Reli when he says that the 950 performs better (I'm biased, I adore this box & its twin, the 955). Yet the 950 cannot compete with bigger and louder units in open spaces.

We certainly don't love boomboxes because we are audiophiles; otherwise only a handful of real Hi-Fi three-piecers would pass the test. Other aspects come to the fore, from looks to loudness, the way they fit our shoulder, the power to make us enjoy music as a spiritual AND a physical experience, the evocative power of our childhood/adolescence, among other things.

Which (hopefully) leads me back on track: the NIB is not a paradox, as once I used to think (a boombox that never booms, d'oh!). It's simply another shade of our passion. In preserving the boombox before the fall, we re-enact the myth of the eternal garden: an everlasting promise of perfect form and crystal clear sound :w00t:

Status
Not open for further replies.