DJ Tech DJ Boombox

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
mellymelsr said:
Yes! Welcome to the club! The smooth sound and thumping bass are very addicting. It handles all genres of music very well. I did a battery upgrade on mine. Upgraded from a 2.6ah to a 5ah. It boosted the play time from 5 hours to 14.
That battery upgrade is a giant leap!
That much life before recharging is unheard on a thumping box of this category!
Good Job Melvin! :yes:

If some day I buy, I would go for the black version.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Reli said:
Nice! You won't be disappointed!
mellymelsr said:
Yes! Welcome to the club!
Yeah man, the quality time spent with it at breakfast that one morning sorta planted a bug in my head. The fact that it has such nice acoustics, actual metal for the speaker/main trims, and the high-quality components used for the controls, the wide variety of inputs (memory card, XJR, etc.) and kick-ass radio reception, and now the battery life of over a half-day... yeah I'm sold :rock:

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
mellymelsr said:
I did a battery upgrade on mine. Upgraded from a 2.6ah to a 5ah. It boosted the play time from 5 hours to 14.
Battery upgrade??? I'm curious to hear more about this. Did you add another battery or find a good replacement?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
trippy1313 said:
Battery upgrade??? I'm curious to hear more about this. Did you add another battery or find a good replacement?
I got a video comin up later today that will show it

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
trippy1313 said:
I took out the stock battery which was a very cheap brand called Power Kingdom...lol. It was rated at 2.6 amp hours. Cranking it at the gym gave me less than 4 hours at 60% volume. That simply would not do. I measured how much available space I had. Then I researched what size and amp hour batteries were available. I wanted to make sure I didn't add too much weight. I settled on a 5 amp hour battery because it fit in the available space and only added 2 pounds. I preceded to do real world testing. I left it in my garage thumping at 70% volume with max bass to test it's limits. 14 hours later it was still going with power left. The replacement battery is a Duracell 5 ah and the difference was well worth the $35 cost. Also the original battery was only good for 50-75 recharges. The Duracell is good for 400+. So replacing it was a no brainer.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Oh yeah that's a definite must for only 4 hours at barely over half volume??? That's ridiculous.

2 pounds more is nothing for that kind of improvement. What's amazing is your new 5ah is lasting more and 3x they're supposed 2.6ah. I think they grossly overrated that label.

How much bigger in size volume is the Duracell?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
But everyone's definition of "half volume" is different......It also depends on your bass setting and your input source setting

I can easily get 6+ hours indoors.

Outdoors obviously you're going to play it louder.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Reli said:
it's lead, 12V

the AC adapter is 18V
Yep, a 2.6 amp hour cell is a little small for longer cranking sessions. The 5aH cells aren't that much bigger and should offer plenty of runtime. Considering SLA cells don't like overly deep discharges, having a bigger battery will offer better run times and longevity due to shallower discharges.

I run 7.2aH SLA cells in my DIY builds - overkill really but for long weekends away from AC cranking the tunes and charging cellphones, this size cell has proven to be a wise choice.

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
trippy1313 said:
Oh yeah that's a definite must for only 4 hours at barely over half volume??? That's ridiculous.

2 pounds more is nothing for that kind of improvement. What's amazing is your new 5ah is lasting more and 3x they're supposed 2.6ah. I think they grossly overrated that label.

How much bigger in size volume is the Duracell?
It's the same height but the Duracell is twice as thick.

60% volume on this box is very loud. The bass hits very hard as well. Indoor volume setting is around 30% for me. I could probably get 18-20 hours at that volume with the bass at 50%. I purposely did my testing with bass and volume much higher to better test the limits of the upgraded battery. I am very happy with the results.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Mel and I did a tag-team video, and I played around with it in Movie Maker.....first time user! Had fun splicing in some music and captions here & there. I challenged myself to reduce it to 10 minutes or less, and I did it!

https://youtu.be/U8UVi4HbRNU

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Excellent Review Mevin and Hans! That was two Professionals in action! :thumbsup: :bow:

Good job! :rock:

Basically when one removes the 7 screws that hold the front Al top panel gives access to the internals parts of the box right?
Love to see what is inside. :w00t:

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
BoomboxLover48 said:
Excellent Review Mevin and Hans! That was two Professionals in action! :thumbsup: :bow:

Good job! :rock:

Basically when one removes the 7 screws that hold the front Al top panel gives access to the internals parts of the box right?
Love to see what is inside. :w00t:
Thanks!
So far I've only taken the speakers out. They don't have names on them.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Well let me first say thank you for going to the trouble of making this video. I always hesitate in comparing old school boxes with the new stuff as I don't want to upset the diehard fans of the 70s and 80s gear.

What your video does is break the bad news to the vintage box lovers in such a way as to still acknowledge where the old tech devices still hold their own - in styling, loudness and mids and highs.

Even via a YouTube video, it's immediately obvious how low the beats go on the DJ Boombox. So to discover how easily the box internals can be accessed gets me thinking about all the sorts of interesting upgrade and customisation options.

I'm loving the use of old school and super reliable SLA battery technology - cheap and easy to swap out a tired cell a few years down the track with minimum downtime and fuss.

Those drivers are the real deal - you can tell they're expecting to see some power! You need plenty of power to sustain high bass output and the DJ Boombox obviously has all the power it needs.

To have all of the above in a cabinet design that pays direct homage to the classic 70s/80s 1 piecers is the icing on the cake.

Thanks again for your efforts,

James...... :-)

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Someone has to do an "Alien Autopsy" on this DJ Tech DJ boombox for the new and exciting boombox that is "in the works". :w00t: :-D :-D :-D :lol:

We can only make it better! :yes:

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
What your video does is break the bad news to the vintage box lovers is such a way as to still acknowledge where the old tech devices still hold their own - in styling, loudness and mids and highs.
Yeah Mel did an awesome job describing the sound and comparing it to 80s boxes