Disaster with my gf 777

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancardo

Member (SA)
Jun 8, 2012
Goodyear, AZ U.S.
Superduper said:
Exactly right Bill, which is why as you know, I lose my patience and get frustrated, and very soon, you and others are most likely going to be taking over my job because I'm about to turn in and retire. :clap: :newyear: :hoveround: :grim: :surf:
:sadno: :sadno: :sadno:

tatto

Member (SA)
Feb 11, 2015
After a while i got today the Q110 replacement... but the problem persists with the same symptoms

tatto

Member (SA)
Feb 11, 2015
Repair shop has done something but it can't go on. He sais that the problem is "function switch" (it's translated from italian).
Probably it is the line-in/radio/tape (not the mechanical switch)?

tatto

Member (SA)
Feb 11, 2015
The right word is commutator. Sorry for double post but can't edit from phone.

Superduper

Member (SA)
You might have a problem with the function switch but I'm not convinced that this technician has found the source of your problem. The function selector only switches the low level audio signal levels. It does not switch the power circuit and it sounds like you are having a problem with power in your system. I say this because your tuner is non-functional (as you say) and the tuner light will not illuminate, and as well you did not indicate if the meter swings when you depress the batt/light switch. Since you are unable to provide any voltage measurements like I asked, then there's nothing that I or anybody else here can help except to guess which is a waste of effort since it will be useless to you. If you want to send it here to USA (high $$), maybe I can take a look at it for you, or if you think the problem is not-fixable, then do you want to sell it? I or someone else could probably either use it for parts, or might have better luck fixing it.

tatto

Member (SA)
Feb 11, 2015
I will provider voltages nextly. About the meter light, it doesn't swing and making light.

ScareDe2

Member (SA)
May 3, 2016
Once I did accidently (kinda) plugged one of my DT680 into a 220v converter and it stopped working immediatly with a burning smell. Only lights would work, nothing else (but I did not test cassette). I did interchanged the capacitors/amplifier section and it worked again. Fuses were both fine.

Sorry if that doesn't help.

...why they put fuses in that thing??

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
Were are you located in Italy, tatto? My tech is pretty good and may solve your problem. Now he is on holidays but If you are not pressed for time, he will be back in September. I can put you in touch with him, if you will. However, since Superduper is already providing unvaluable assistance, in your shoes I'd first try to determine if the unit can actually be rescued.

tatto

Member (SA)
Feb 11, 2015
So today I've taken my dead boombox back from repair shop. The technician said that voltages are ok and he said that a certain point doesn't work nothing anymore. He didn't wanted to open the case again, but he said that the fault is probably here:

The problem starts here were "power supply is written"

The rest is all ok, but the "?" is unknown, probably the tuner section.

Amp section is ok, the first power supply section is ok, but i don'T unserstand why he calls the tape motor section "power supply". The tape engines are working too. The only think which doesn't work are the vu meters, with no lights and movement too despite the bulb is ok, and the elaboration of every audio signal like radio, tape and line-in. When the fault occured, the box was set on line-in. probably its gone something after the line-in commutator?

Edit: About the vu meters, they are only connected to the "power supply". Or am i wrong?

tatto

Member (SA)
Feb 11, 2015
hottest_garble said:
Were are you located in Italy, tatto? My tech is pretty good and may solve your problem. Now he is on holidays but If you are not pressed for time, he will be back in September. I can put you in touch with him, if you will. However, since Superduper is already providing unvaluable assistance, in your shoes I'd first try to determine if the unit can actually be rescued.
I'm in Puglia, extreme south part of italy.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Well, the diagrams you are showing are block diagrams, which are merely simplified modular representations of circuit flow. They are not meant to be literal. When your tech could take a whole modular block and say the problem is "probably" here, then that tells us absolutely nothing. Had he taken an actual circuit diagram (schematic) and made notes along the way indicating what voltages where discovered where, then that might actually have been useful.

Long ago, I asked you to make very specific measurements for us to consider. Instead you are now referring to your technician (who can't fix your boombox) and his very "vague" comment that voltages is OK except that it doesn't work anymore at a certain point. We could have told you that months ago. In fact, the point where it doesn't work anymore is exactly what we are trying to find which is why I asked you to take voltage measurements at very specific points. And I would never accept an answer that "everything is OK." Rather I would want exact measurement at exact points.

Unfortunately, it looks like I myself am unable to help you any further. The information that I would need in order to be able to assist from thousands of miles away requires the actual hands on person to be able to perform very specific (though simple) measurement tests that I feel can be trusted. Maybe someone else can help throw suggestions to you.

tatto

Member (SA)
Feb 11, 2015
I've showed your posts to the tech and he says voltages are all 12. I have a multimeter now so i will try something. I really apreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.